PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

went and bought a maul and a bunch more ice melt at lowe's this evening.  had to dukes of hazzard that berm to get out the driveway, as solid as a speed bump but the Outback was like no problem.  tomorrow I will make that ice berm my b*tch.

25 and partly cloudy out.  that berm thinks its sleeping well tonight while refreezing today's slight melt.  HA HA HA i'll have the last laugh BERM!

• Like 1
  • lol 2
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, Phishy Wx said:

went and bought a maul and a bunch more ice melt at lowe's this evening.  had to dukes of hazzard that berm to get out the driveway, as solid as a speed bump but the Outback was like no problem.  tomorrow I will make that ice berm my b*tch.

25 and partly cloudy out.  that berm thinks its sleeping well tonight while refreezing today's slight melt.  HA HA HA i'll have the last laugh BERM!

Take pics of the whole process please. We need some distractions here

• Like 2
  • lol 1

5 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Soooo doesn’t this generally support what jim is saying? They knew the square footage of ship surface. They knew the displacement and change in water height, so they knew how much water equivalent was there? And all our “anecdotal” measurements of what total snow depth would have been rhyme with what you say to be the average snow volume would lead to? The guys on the ship didn’t say how deep it was just how much water had fallen, right @snow_wizard?

Even if they knew the buoyancy of the ship and the temperature+salinity of the water (which will affect how much the ship sinks), remember that snow (especially wet snow) can accumulate on all sorts of things, like masts, etc. Not to mention sea spray that may freeze.

It’s not an easy calculation at all.

• Storm 1

I’m good with February 2019.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 hour ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Anybody else having stocking issues at the local store?

B7E999BC-F347-45CC-90F2-BE53C54D3D1F.jpeg

Yeah just random things. The dairy section at Safeway was barren the other day. Needed heavy cream or whipping cream, and there was none of either. I've seen pasta shelves almost completely bare, entire ice cream cases, etc.

Seems like every week the store is low or completely out of something. 

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

1 minute ago, Phishy Wx said:

Grocery stores are getting bare in Spokane, specifically Safeway.  they are blaming it on the closed passes

Yeah Im sure it's bad specifically for that right now, but I've seen empty sections of shelf periodically for months.

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Beautiful sunny skies today. Can't remember the last time that happened. 

It's crazy at first when you think about it that a storm from 142 years ago has such decent documentation. But the weather instruments back in the day to measure barometric pressure and temperature were actually quite good. It seems that there were a decent number of weather geeks back then too, but probably not a ton of them were willing to spend their precious money and time to document what was occurring on a regular basis.

On a totally unrelated note, I'd highly recommend reading the book Isaac's Storm to anyone that is a weather enthusiast. It obviously has nothing to do with our climate, but it gives some insight on how weather forecasts were made over 100 years ago. Also, it was the biggest weather disaster in our nation's history so you should read it. I'm still miffed that Isaac wasn't blamed more for what happened (and he even got promoted) when his brother repeatedly warned him. Anyway, read the book. There are several documentaries about it but the book is much better.

I still have a copy buried in the garage pile of crap somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

6 minutes ago, Dave said:

It's crazy at first when you think about it that a storm from 142 years ago has such decent documentation. But the weather instruments back in the day to measure barometric pressure and temperature were actually quite good. It seems that there were a decent number of weather geeks back then too, but probably not a ton of them were willing to spend their precious money and time to document what was occurring on a regular basis.

On a totally unrelated note, I'd highly recommend reading the book Isaac's Storm to anyone that is a weather enthusiast. It obviously has nothing to do with our climate, but it gives some insight on how weather forecasts were made over 100 years ago. Also, it was the biggest weather disaster in our nation's history so you should read it. I'm still miffed that Isaac wasn't blamed more for what happened (and he even got promoted) when his brother repeatedly warned him. Anyway, read the book. There are several documentaries about it but the book is much better.

Yes, it was beautiful today. This winter has been nice so far!

Down to 37F after a high of 51F.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

11 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Grocery stores are getting bare in Spokane, specifically Safeway.  they are blaming it on the closed passes

Meme Reaction GIF

eastern and western Washington blaming low stock in grocery shelves because of the pass closure 

• lol 4
  • Snow 1

7 minutes ago, Dave said:

I’ve read Issac’s storm. Would definitely recommend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Yes, it was beautiful today. This winter has been nice so far!

Down to 37F after a high of 51F.

We could hit 32 for a midnight low and then immediately get stacked for a double daily freezing low a few minutes later. Exciting times!

• Excited 1

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

Even if they knew the buoyancy of the ship and the temperature+salinity of the water (which will affect how much the ship sinks), remember that snow (especially wet snow) can accumulate on all sorts of things, like masts, etc. Not to mention sea spray that may freeze.

It’s not an easy calculation at all.

“Hey capn how do you know the salinity and temp of the water?” 

“I don’t. But I know that when we loaded this barge up with ten thousand pounds of lumber two days ago it sank X inches.”

”what about all the sea spray and snow accumulation on the mast and such??”

“It’s a barge you dumass there ain’t no mast. Yer fired”

• lol 2

I absolutely cannot believe Sumas had another day with a freezing high temp today.  Wow!

The lower Fraser Valley has had an epic run of cold.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This GFS run is really trying to go places.  A lot of ridging over the GOA.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

M

14EEB9B9-3EA5-4F0C-9D67-E4D566268DC4.png

What in the hell were they thinking even trying to take that train over Stevens yesterday.  I would have flat out refused to go.  Too similar to 1910.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

I would think you could get supplies in from Oregon and Idaho...

The whole trucker shortage is a part of the problem too, not just the snow on the roads. 

• Like 3

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

55 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Interesting choice.  When I did February rankings after 2019 it came up as the best since 1923.  My rankings are based on cold, duration, intensity of cold, snowfall amount, days with snow on the ground, etc.

Given the choice though I would take 1989 over either 1923 or 2019.  The cold was just so freeking epic. 

No question that in the period of record we have 1884 was hands down the best February we've had.  I would take that over any other.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, Geos said:

The whole trucker shortage is a part of the problem too, not just the snow on the roads. 

It's just a total cluster f... right now.  Everything has come together in an incredibly unlikely way.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Geos said:

Or anyplace else in the rest of the country. Is Seattle really that much of a crucial grocery goods hub? I guess it might be. Western Washington is where most of the people are, so odds are it is where most of the warehouses are.

It's called clown range for a reason.

32 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

I would love for it to trend south and hit us, but that never happens. We’re always a day late and a dollar short here. 

I am wishing with all my might for it to go south.  Anywhere but here.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 hours ago, snow drift said:

Welcome to my world. Spokane is the pothole capital of the world. They spring up like zits on a teenager's face. I hate those suckers.

It's standard fare in a cold-winter climate. West side only gets winters cold enough every decade or two.

Ground is still snow-covered here. Got some more flurries this afternoon, in fact. Bet the potholes will be showing up now that the thaw finally seems to be settling in.

It's called clown range for a reason.

My bet is that within 5 days we will be getting consistently good model runs again.

In the meantime it's down to 34 already tonight.  Looks a two for the price of one freeze.  The first third of the month will actually end up solidly below normal for this area.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Interesting choice.  When I did February rankings after 2019 it came up as the best since 1923.  My rankings are based on cold, duration, intensity of cold, snowfall amount, days with snow on the ground, etc.

Given the choice though I would take 1989 over either 1923 or 2019.  The cold was just so freeking epic. 

No question that in the period of record we have 1884 was hands down the best February we've had.  I would take that over any other.

February 1989 was the best arctic blast in my lifetime for Seattle. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It's standard fare in a cold-winter climate. West side only gets winters cold enough every decade or two.

Ground is still snow-covered here. Got some more flurries this afternoon, in fact. Bet the potholes will be showing up now that the thaw finally seems to be settling in.

Unless this is a regime change.  Back in the day they were much more common...especially in the area with heavy Fraser outflow influence.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, SeattleWXGuy said:

February 1989 was the best arctic blast in my lifetime for Seattle. 

It was incredible.  It actually had more teeth than December 1990.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

13 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I vaguely remember getting quite a bit of snow in February 1989, I shoveled huge mounds on the deck. I was 12yrs so it’s a little hazy now. I also remember riding my bike on a frozen Lake Goodwin. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!