Jump to content
The Weather Forums

PNW January 2022, Unoriginal Thread Title


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am surprised by that rain total... its been raining all day but not that hard.    

It was at 2" before 8 AM, heavier precip was in the early morning hours. Looks like down in town is at 2.4", seems like a typical contrast with up here. This temp map is interesting though:

image.thumb.png.40ab8cf1e52939012c595821939ff8fa.png

46°F at 18/90 interchange but only 35°F up here (about the same elevations).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho got hit by a snow storm!!!  Should be warm for melting by Friday.  Depending on which area you lived, your snow amount varied, plus cold gusty winds.  The snow is moving through Idaho and into Western Montana now.  A lot of warnings/etc for Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Be safe out there, have fun!

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.32.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.33.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.34.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.34.44 PM.png

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

It was at 2" before 8 AM, heavier precip was in the early morning hours. Looks like down in town is at 2.4", seems like a typical contrast with up here. This temp map is interesting though:

image.thumb.png.40ab8cf1e52939012c595821939ff8fa.png

46°F at 18/90 interchange but only 35°F up here (about the same elevations).  

 

Yeah... its 37 here and one of the other stations up here is at 39 now.   But still colder than other areas to our west because the SW wind has not broken through yet.    I think that will be happening later this afternoon.  

  • Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jginmartini said:

It’s coming down!  
1.37 now

Yeah been raining pretty good for awhile now. Seems like the weathers constantly been active since mid September tons of rain (and snow!) very active cold season so far. The next 10 days look fairly boring on the gfs and euro though.

  • Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The snowfall at snoqualmie pass over the last month is ridiculous. So much for the lack of snow to start off December. 

  • Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm at 2.34 inches of rain since midnight. Its been non stop, heavy rain, all day. Places in town, that don't normally flood, are flooding (roads, parking lots...etc). The water on my driveway is almost to the garage door. If only it were snow.......❄🌨❄🌨

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Snow isn't everything when ranking a winter, it's a big part of the equation, but I would take 2016-17 over 2011-12 any day, and it had about half as much snow. When weighing the two, cold is going to beat out snow in my book. 

I hear ya there. Last week was awesome, even with *just* 6'' max depth and 10'' total. An additional week of cold with an inch or 2 here and there would've been epic. I don't need 2 feet of snow, although that is epic in a different way.

  • Like 3

Home Weather Station Stats (starting Dec. 25 2021)

High - 55.2

Lowest High - 23.6

Low - 15.6

Sub 40 highs - 11

Sub-freezing highs - 5

Lows below 25 - 5

Lows below 20 - 1

2021-2022 Snowfall - 10.5''

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

RIP Dave. Miss that guy. 

Yep. Foruntately we are so blessed with a fantastic rotation these days. Rizzs, Goldsmith, Sims, and Blowers are all fantastic.

  • Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats (starting Dec. 25 2021)

High - 55.2

Lowest High - 23.6

Low - 15.6

Sub 40 highs - 11

Sub-freezing highs - 5

Lows below 25 - 5

Lows below 20 - 1

2021-2022 Snowfall - 10.5''

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cloud said:

52 BFI, 50 at SEA… rainy…… yaddy yaddy yadda….. blah blah blah….. zzzzzZzzz…. 😴 

last time it hit 50 was Dec 22. 

51 here warmest we’ve been since early December. Yet another AR…like the 7th or 8th one since September probably. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What photo editor do y'all use, if any? I just got Luminar AI from Humble Bundle and it seems way better than Adobe Lightroom.

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Tonight may be kind of a surprise windstorm that will sneak up on people.

Tight, fast resolving pressure gradient-- wherever the tightest gradient does set up I'm sure we could see some gusts 50-55 in spots.

  • Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

 

--Cloud Strife

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

 

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

 

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

 

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

Wenatchee! Don't know much about their weather, but that has to be a good storm for them. 

24 hours of snow? Looks like 24-30" there.

271537438_466666358348818_6174507659899867251_n.jpg

271476872_466666328348821_4158057236502608828_n.jpg

271587769_466666348348819_4574196031073580272_n.jpg

They average about 30" a winter(maybe just a little more).  About 1/3 what Leavenworth gets.  They're just a little more than 20 or so miles east.  Much drier than Leavenworth.  I think they're about 700ft elevation compared to 1,100ft.  Quite a bit more moisture gets dumped in Leavenworth. 

  • Like 1
  • Excited 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

We missed the brunt if the huge storm here as expected but still 14 new since Monday.  The drive lastnight was insane. 

20220106_104721.jpg

20220106_114004.jpg

20220106_104717.jpg

Are you glad you made the last second decision to go over last night? 

  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Guestmating 32 inches.  And still snowing.   Insane!  South part of town by the fish hatchery had a mix of sleet, snow, and freezing rain.  Downtown Leavenworth/Highway 2 still all snow.  And snowng hard

 

I imagine the road up Icicle is buried.  Sleeping Lady will be sleeping a while.    I'd love to see the Chihuly sculpture that's on that rock.  Has to be quite the sight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

They average about 30" a winter(maybe just a little more).  About 1/3 what Leavenworth gets.  They're just a little more than 20 or so miles east.  Much drier than Leavenworth.  I think they're about 700ft elevation compared to 1,100ft.  Quite a bit more moisture gets dumped in Leavenworth. 

Exactly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Briefly hit 50 here today, but hanging just a hair under that for the last little while. No new precip since the wee hours of the morning.

Home Weather Station Stats (starting Dec. 25 2021)

High - 55.2

Lowest High - 23.6

Low - 15.6

Sub 40 highs - 11

Sub-freezing highs - 5

Lows below 25 - 5

Lows below 20 - 1

2021-2022 Snowfall - 10.5''

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Prairiedog said:

I imagine the road up Icicle is buried.  Sleeping Lady will be sleeping a while.    I'd love to see the Chihuly sculpture that's on that rock.  Has to be quite the sight. 

They close it a ways back and people ski, snowshoe, and snowmobile on it.  That may be one of the last roads to get serviced since not a lot of people live beyond Sleepng Lady

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

 

I prefer the rear entry method.

I've come to the conclusion that it's simply way better for your cold/snow chances if you're south of Olympia.

This actually looks really good. I've been feeling that late Jan/early Feb period for a while now.

While we've been plenty cold as of late, Bozeman also does a lot better snowfall wise with retrogression and less overwater trajectory. I would also love to see my Oregon friends/family get some fun this season as well!

  • Like 9

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 60.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16.0"

Highest snow depth: 15.0"

Coldest high: 3.0º

Coldest low: -12.6º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

They close it a ways back and people ski, snowshoe, and snowmobile on it.  That may be one of the last roads to get serviced since not a lot of people live beyond Sleepng Lady

I'm waiting for today's grooming report up in Plain to see if they give an estimate as to how much snow they received. Looking forward to skate skiing up there in early February. Based on the webcams, I'm assuming it's a lot. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2.26” since midnight in south Bonney Lake. Can you tell when the south wind hit by this chart 😆

 

also lake cushman showing a ridiculous 5.92” of rain since midnight. Still 37 degrees up thereThat one isn’t my station so not sure if it includes any snow melt but wow 😮 gotta be a mess up there today

980BC9E8-9006-433F-B2B5-4AE8F5F98AAF.png

CAC227B9-D27E-4537-81BD-064B1EB715B2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Exactly

I applied for a physics/chem HS job at the HS there a number of years ago.  I'm a bio guy (long since retired) so it wasn't the best fit but still threw my hat in the ring.  Dreamed of living there.  Managed to rent a beautiful log cabin near Red Tail Canyon Farm and got married there.  About 20 of us stayed there and after the wedding we all took a Belgium draft horse drawn sleigh(two) trip all around the area in 8" freshly fallen snow.  Just a magical place there at Christmas time. 

Honeymooned up at Mt. Home Lodge.  They snowcat you up to the lodge.  Wonder how many might be stranded up there.  As they say about the lodge, "1,000ft closer to Heaven"!  Commanding view of the Enchantments and up the Icicle.  Breathtaking place. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

2" inches of snow here. I don't think anyone saw my new home yet (picture #5). We haven't had a 2-story house since Milwaukie in the early-mid 1990's. And don't look for the 1996 Jeep Cherokee, it's a 2013 Patriot now. 

Higher resolution photos - https://imgur.com/a/VL5CfG8

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

Beautiful I'll have to show my Dad. 

  • Popcorn 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 31.1                         2021-22: 40.64" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Snow isn't everything when ranking a winter, it's a big part of the equation, but I would take 2016-17 over 2011-12 any day, and it had about half as much snow. When weighing the two, cold is going to beat out snow in my book. 

I agree. ‘16-‘17 was the best year for cold and snow. It was in the ground over here in Redmond from December 4th all the way until March 4th. Cold the whole time with lots of little snows. 

  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27.28” of rain here since September 12th. We’re also already at 60% of our normal January rainfall now. Gfs and euro both look drier next week though. May end up being our driest streak of weather since September too. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

I applied for a physics/chem HS job at the HS there a number of years ago.  I'm a bio guy (long since retired) so it wasn't the best fit but still threw my hat in the ring.  Dreamed of living there.  Managed to rent a beautiful log cabin near Red Tail Canyon Farm and got married there.  About 20 of us stayed there and after the wedding we all took a Belgium draft horse drawn sleigh(two) trip all around the area in 8" freshly fallen snow.  Just a magical place there at Christmas time. 

Honeymooned up at Mt. Home Lodge.  They snowcat you up to the lodge.  Wonder how many might be stranded up there.  As they say about the lodge, "1,000ft closer to Heaven"!  Commanding view of the Enchantments and up the Icicle.  Breathtaking place. 

Ha, we honeymooned there too!  And also at the Run of the River.  I was there during Super Bowl XL.  Glad I didn't watch it on tv.

Here's an old pic I took there.

MHLODGE-22_(2013_12_19_18_37_48_UTC)_13484568872824.thumb.JPG.e792739aadf8008bcfe43984146a0078.JPG

  • Like 2
  • scream 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am currently grading this winter an A-

The massive amount of rainfall in November, the big westerly windstorm in mid November, the near summer like day at the beginning of December followed by chilly weather leading up to Christmas. A white Christmas Eve and Christmas, over a foot of snow between Christmas and New Years, a low of 3 degrees, over 7 straight days below freezing, and I currently have more snow on the ground right now than I have had on January 6th dating back to 2013 in my picture folder. 
Though I did have slight accumulation on my roof in 2019! 🤣

Now all we need is one or two more fantastic snow/cold events late month thru the first part of March and the grade goes up to an A+! 

Oh and I see they cleared the measuring sticks at Sharis! 

27FB57B4-A6DF-4254-BB85-946325E6A8B8.jpeg

CC46D556-BEBE-477C-A4B1-8161B6926CD3.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, High Desert Mat? said:

I agree. ‘16-‘17 was the best year for cold and snow. It was in the ground over here in Redmond from December 4th all the way until March 4th. Cold the whole time with lots of little snows. 

Hopefully soon we can have another winter with solid cold and snow that favors Oregon.

92-93, 13-14, 16-17 etc.

  • Like 2
  • Excited 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 35F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 26F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 11 (Most recent: Jan 9, 2022)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 5 (Most recent: Jan 17, 2021)
  • Total snowfall: 10.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 30.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29* and occasional freezing rain/drizzle.  My little black wagon finally met it's match with this 6" of heavy wet snow.  Too heavy/thick to plow through.  I still made it out of my neighborhood, but I had to work A LOT harder to get it done.  All the roads are pretty dodgy, 542/Sunset was the best in the 2 lane part, then once it opened up to 5 lanes it turned to sh*t.  Other city surface streets...utter sh*t.  At this point I'm ready to get above freezing and wash this crap away, reset and get ready for the next round!

My wife had to come up to Barkley to meet me, and she said it was worse for her than this morning (except for I-5, which was good).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

North Bend just shot up to almost 50 degrees.   Still no wind here and 37.   Patiently waiting.  😀

  • Like 2
  • Storm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Ha, we honeymooned there too!  And also at the Run of the River.  I was there during Super Bowl XL.  Glad I didn't watch it on tv.

Here's an old pic I took there.

MHLODGE-22_(2013_12_19_18_37_48_UTC)_13484568872824.thumb.JPG.e792739aadf8008bcfe43984146a0078.JPG

I've always wanted to stay at Run of the River.  Got to book it about a year or more in advance.  Gorgeous pic!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

27.28” of rain here since September 12th. We’re also already at 60% of our normal January rainfall now. Gfs and euro both look drier next week though. May end up being our driest streak of weather since September too. 

I’m on board for a dry streak. This is the time of year where the gray starts to wear on me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

I've always wanted to stay at Run of the River.  Got to book it about a year or more in advance.  Gorgeous pic!

Our cabin we stayed at at Mt Home Lodge.  Alpenglow from the cabin. 

9 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

 

IMG_8689.JPG.4d1037963b173bd93e3d41b534b93e63.JPG

IMG_8520.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Hopefully soon we can have another winter with solid cold and snow that favors Oregon.

92-93, 13-14, 16-17 etc.

13-14 was the only one of that group that dried out southern Oregon. 

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

the weight on trees, oh boy.  Luckily I live in a new neighborhood with underground utilities 

Came home today to a bunch of large limbs down.

Heavy, sopping wet snow + 40-50mph winds will do more damage than 70+mph thunderstorm winds.

  • Windy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

29* and occasional freezing rain/drizzle.  My little black wagon finally met it's match with this 6" of heavy wet snow.  Too heavy/thick to plow through.  I still made it out of my neighborhood, but I had to work A LOT harder to get it done.  All the roads are pretty dodgy, 542/Sunset was the best in the 2 lane part, then once it opened up to 5 lanes it turned to sh*t.  Other city surface streets...utter sh*t.  At this point I'm ready to get above freezing and wash this crap away, reset and get ready for the next round!

My wife had to come up to Barkley to meet me, and she said it was worse for her than this morning (except for I-5, which was good).

Thinking school is closed again tomorrow at this rate 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...