PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

2 minutes ago, gusky said:

So I made a "blog" (I hate calling it that) about western WA weather, mostly for fun and because it makes me think about and learn more about the weather. Don't really expect anyone to read it, but if you guys wanted to give it a read and give me feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Or I can delete this post if mods don't like self advertising lol
Western Washington Weather: Some More Snow Tonight, Followed by Warm and Wet Conditions (waweather.blogspot.com) 

You should be fine, I advertised my wifes game stream the other night and talk about my restaurant plan sometimes.

And very nice writeup, well done!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jakeinthevalley said:

Excellent description, especially the reverse Forest Grove effect.

I have always explained it the same way. Seen it many times growing up in Stayton.

Stayton can do pretty well in onshore flow or snow shower situations as they are slightly higher than the main valley and get more precip being closer to the Cascades. On the other hand I've seen them get some painful warm noses. 12/20/08 is a good example, the warm nose extended to just past Sublimity. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

You should be fine, I advertised my wifes game stream the other night and talk about my restaurant plan sometimes.

And very nice writeup, well done!!

Thanks! Yeah I suspect I'll be fine if mods allowed that lol

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I ended up with 15.75” here which is well below average. I’m not sure how accurate my winter time precip accumulations are though as my precip heater doesn’t seem to be able to handle the extreme cold well. Either way, my driest year since moving here 4 years ago.

Yikes!  That's pretty dry for Bozeman.  You guys normally get like 18 +inches a year.  I am assuming you have a Davis Rain collector?  I have the heater as well but in order to get the most accurate water content readings,, I found that its best to switch it on after the snow has stopped and as soon as it starts snowing again, turn it off, due to the weird evaporation that it causes to the light dry snow.

24 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I'm not the most savvy guy financially, but buying in 2011 was a good stroke of luck. I really feel for people looking for that first home now. I don't know how anyone making under 125-150K a year could buy anything decent, especially if you have kids already and perhaps some student loan or other debt. It's just to bad. There are still parts of the country, even now, where you can buy a starter home right after college, or someone who is on the low end of middle class can still aspire to home ownership. Probably the wrong thread, but there are a lot of political factors which make housing on the West Coast more expensive, beyond basic supply and demand... Or that create chronic supply shortages. The amazing thing about buying a home in 2011 was not only the market incredibly affordable, there was an incredible amount of inventory... PS... Continued foreclosure moratoriums are also contributing to supply issues. 

Obviously I was a kid back then and I kind of still am but my parents say 10-15 years ago you could have bought a place in Sunriver or La Pine for pennies on the dollar, and they were really considering it back then. Their former employer (rest in peace) was from Klamath Falls and warned them that area was probably going to burn down one day, so they didn’t. Then of course, word got out about that area.

Sunriver was definitely a tinderbox last summer. Felt like if you looked at vegetation wrong it would light on fire. No surprise the Bootleg Fire grew exponentially in pretty much the exact same climate and forest type. All it could take is one person forgetting to turn their grill off.

• Like 1

Bremerton and Shelton airports both reporting snow. 36 at sea tac…37 here. Think we definitely can get some snow with some heavier precip. We’ve been so close all day. 

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I will be monitoring air temps to my SSW the next couple of hours, no sign of warming yet.  And still have decent easterly wind going so that should help for awhile even when the 925 temps warm further over me.

image.png.e930b181066206803d1ce718044feff8.png

Yeah was just thinking the same thing earlier it’s a good sign things are still relatively cool well south of here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

21 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Based on what Kayla, Brian, Snowmizer, etc. have said in the past on this, it sounds like if you are a weather enthusiast it still remains awesome no matter how much you normally get in a winter. Doesn't really lose it's magic, at least not completely.

Absolutely snowstorms still remain just as exciting. And knowing that if the next storm busts there is sure to be another one just around the corner is SO much less stressful!

I’m loving this -8F snow we’ve been having all day today even though it is insanely cold but the weather enthusiast  in me is totally geeking out!🤓

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Can someone plz post euro snow map for Eastern WA. 

1641513600-MxqMtHq3oKQ.png

• Like 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

1 minute ago, Omegaraptor said:

Obviously I was a kid back then and I kind of still am but my parents say 10-15 years ago you could have bought a place in Sunriver or La Pine for pennies on the dollar, and they were really considering it back then. Their former employer (rest in peace) was from Klamath Falls and warned them that area was probably going to burn down one day, so they didn’t. Then of course, word got out about that area.

Sunriver was definitely a tinderbox last summer. Felt like if you looked at vegetation wrong it would light on fire. No surprise the Bootleg Fire grew exponentially in pretty much the exact same climate and forest type. All it could take is one person forgetting to turn their grill off.

Yeah. The housing market in Central Oregon crashed HARD 2009-2011. It was probably even less expensive than Salem around that time. Even about 4-5 years ago I helped a friend of the family move out to LaPine, she bought a couple acres and a nice little house for about 195K, same place would be 600-700K now. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Absolutely snowstorms still remain just as exciting. And knowing that if the next storm busts there is sure to be another one just around the corner is SO much less stressful!

I’m loving this -8F snow we’ve been having all day today even though it is insanely cold but the weather enthusiast  in me is totally geeking out!🤓

That sounds so amazing!  

I watched the Paducah, KY NBC affiliates live report on the Mayfield Tornado for over an hour last night on YouTube. Weather is awesome, and there's also sort of a a morbid fascination with that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

9 minutes ago, Clancy MT DW9972 said:

Yikes!  That's pretty dry for Bozeman.  You guys normally get like 18 +inches a year.  I am assuming you have a Davis Rain collector?  I have the heater as well but in order to get the most accurate water content readings,, I found that its best to switch it on after the snow has stopped and as soon as it starts snowing again, turn it off, due to the weird evaporation that it causes to the light dry snow.

Yeah it was a really dry year. Still in a extreme drought so hoping for a real wet spring this year. Bozeman averages ~20”/yr and I’d guess I’m closer to 22-24”/yr on average being 5 miles south of town.

That’s a great tip, I will have to try that after this current storm passes!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

12 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Easton says hello (pic is outdated and from last winter). I just saw everybody posting dog photos 🐶 

9A12EFC6-B93B-4BEA-9DB4-67013E1E78AF.jpeg

One of my Christmas presents was the promise that I get a GS puppy this year. I'm so excited to add one to our family! Amazing, beautiful doggo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TWC is actually on crack - it says that it's fully snowing in Bremerton, with a WWA, but then says only rain all night. WTF?image.thumb.png.4f05d3d1c784aa30d44d02ea86989eda.png

My Twitter

46 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I’m looking at buying my first home in the next month or two. I’ll only be looking at townhomes and condos cause there is no way I can afford a real house in the Seattle metro area😂😂😂

stay away from townhomes.  built cheap, horrible layouts, and has as much privacy as you have in a condo.  The worst of both worlds in homeownership.  At least with condos, the layout is 1 story.

Seattle is going to regret building so many of them 20 years from now.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I'm not the most savvy guy financially, but buying in 2011 was a good stroke of luck. I really feel for people looking for that first home now. I don't know how anyone making under 125-150K a year could buy anything decent, especially if you have kids already and perhaps some student loan or other debt. It's just to bad. There are still parts of the country, even now, where you can buy a starter home right after college, or someone who is on the low end of middle class can still aspire to home ownership. Probably the wrong thread, but there are a lot of political factors which make housing on the West Coast more expensive, beyond basic supply and demand... Or that create chronic supply shortages. The amazing thing about buying a home in 2011 was not only the market incredibly affordable, there was an incredible amount of inventory... PS... Continued foreclosure moratoriums are also contributing to supply issues. 

We already owned a condo in Bellingham in 2010 when we bought our Leavenworth house.  Interest rates were low and it was a buyer's market.  House has appreciated at least 2.5X.  We probably have 4-5 times as much in equity as we still owe.  Timing was perfect for us.  But I was watching the real estate market closely, especially the Leavenworth market, so we knew it was time to strike.

12 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Yeah it was a really dry year. Still in a extreme drought so hoping for a real wet spring this year. Bozeman averages ~20”/yr and I’d guess I’m closer to 22-24”/yr on average being 5 miles south of town.

That’s a great tip, I will have to try that after this current storm passes!

We gotta keep our fingers crossed!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I’m looking at buying my first home in the next month or two. I’ll only be looking at townhomes and condos cause there is no way I can afford a real house in the Seattle metro area😂😂😂

Good luck.  That's how I started is with a condo.  But they do have monthly fees and occasional special assessments.  Make sure they have a fund for future roof replacement, especially if it's not s brand new condo.  A well run condo association will have that and enough reserves for an emergency.

I started out with a condo, but however you start off, you will be building equity, and that will be the key to future purchases.

If you haven't already secured a loan, you might ask about an FHA loan.  Those you don't need 20% down, though you do pay a bit extra insurance because you won't have 20% equity.  But after a few years, assuming appreciation on your condo or house, you can apply for the insurance to be removed once you get to 20% equity.  And that happens with payments toward the principle and the natural appreciation of the condo/house.