2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

A fish scale or mackerel sky from Thunder98 previous post. Says the olde farmers almanac-

" like scales on a mackerel. Mares’ tails describe thin and wispy cirrus clouds, which are indicative of strong high-level winds.

These types of clouds are influenced by shifting wind directions and high speeds, typical of an advancing low-pressure system."Mackeralsky.png.fc5a0795efd72e2763880a4247511e33.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AquariusRadar said:

A fish scale or mackerel sky from Thunder98 previous post. Says the olde farmers almanac-

" like scales on a mackerel. Mares’ tails describe thin and wispy cirrus clouds, which are indicative of strong high-level winds.

These types of clouds are influenced by shifting wind directions and high speeds, typical of an advancing low-pressure system."Mackeralsky.png.fc5a0795efd72e2763880a4247511e33.png

If only the low lying crap was not blocking it out. 

3/28 An actual storm with beneficial rainfall

3/29 Day 1 of the premature May Gray

3/30 More of the same old premature May Gray

3/31 More of the same old same old premature May Gray

4/1 More of the same old same old premature May Gray

4/2 More of the same old same old premature May Gray

4/3 More of the same old same old premature May Gray

What is the record for number of consecutive days of low clouds reaching the lower coastal slopes? I think we could be close to shattering it.

• Weenie 1

Well, we finally got some clearing here in the ML-weary South Bay. You can see the high clouds now.

6 back to back days of heavy onshore flow this early in the season is rough. In the end what matters for our beaches is how well the ocean warms up as we get into the summer months. So far, this decade has been abysmal for that. And this on and off again La Niña is not showing any signs of breaking down until the end of this year, when hopes rise for 2022-2023 to swing the pendulum the other way.

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

5 hours ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

The jacaranda trees near LAX Airport have started to bloom shockingly early. I can recall only one other bloom this early, at UCLA in 2017. For such a coastal location this is nearly 2 months ahead of schedule!

2019 was so cold that the jacarandas never fully bloomed

• lol 1

2 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

There’s a good chance that I could see 90’s on Wednesday through Friday! Which would be warmest highs since April 2016!

My highest-rated post on this site is from that month, according to my profile every time I visit it.

Marine Layer won't like to hear this but I already miss the marine layer this morning. Bring back the gloom

• lol 1
  • scream 1

19 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

A man could hope. Last year it was very active but the inversion would just not release its grip for anything to give us a piece of it.