2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Yup. The gunk still reigns supreme. We’ll need the ocean to warm up a little more. Slower to burn off than yesterday. This photo is looking south in my already fog-weary town.

I’ve noticed that stubborn low lying fog has gotten more and more common in recent years, while growing up it was almost always an overhead stratus layer. 

8B2BCFD9-6B5F-4B82-A9B4-A7A4C3449DB3.jpeg

• Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

72 in SD, 88 in nearby Poway—and it’s not even lunchtime yet. The inversion continues to soldier on. Some coastal cities way less—San Clemente is only 64 now!

This seems to be what you get when inland temperatures spike too early in the season, especially in a cool-ocean year.

• Windy 1

Still has yet to clear within a mile of the water; many beaches remain well below 70.

It may be the future of June Gloom, where the ever shallower marine layer leads to mega inversions and fog-shrouded beaches while inland areas roast in August-like heat. Unless the sea warms up proportionally to counter it.

• Snow 1

103F here right now. I hate it. Bring on Autumn.

It must be fascinating to people who are not from Southern California watching this thread, to see such stark differences in observation and preference in users who are only a couple dozen miles apart from each other. They probably aren't used to microclimates or mountains.

34 minutes ago, Reg said:

103F here right now. I hate it. Bring on Autumn.

It must be fascinating to people who are not from Southern California watching this thread, to see such stark differences in observation and preference in users who are only a couple dozen miles apart from each other. They probably aren't used to microclimates or mountains.

I’ll say it again. Come to the beach here. It’s only 67 on the pier in Santa Monica. Can we trade? Lol

15 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

I’ll say it again. Come to the beach here. It’s only 67 on the pier in Santa Monica. Can we trade? Lol

Gas is very expensive right now though. My car is from 1987 and that's all I can afford

https://marineweather.net/coastal/point-mugu-to-san-mateo-pt-ca-including-santa-catalina-and-anacapa-islands-coastal-forecast

TL;DR: the heatwave will slowly fade as the high migrates east on Wednesday and Thursday. Coastal areas have a shot at warming up as the stiff onshore flow weakens a bit (which has resulted in a fogwave for many coastal areas so far.) Tomorrow may well be the hottest day of all. Some chance of a monsoon influence but don’t expect any showers or storms west of the mountains.

By late next week, SW flow will arrive and bring seasonable, boring, conditions to the region.  July should start off on a typical note.

1 hour ago, Reg said:

106F. A gust front just hit us out of nowhere, likely generated by thunderstorms over the San Jacinto Mountains.

Might take the edge off the heat too. Neat!

Meanwhile we are starting to clear but it’s only partial for now. Santa Monica Bay is notoriously slow to clear.

• Windy 1

Woke up to the birds, and couldn’t even see the house next door, the fog was that dense.

This should be the last day before a major pattern shift. Already seems to be a weak eddy forming. Reg, you should get some relief from the heat soon — maybe ~90 vs 100+