2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Today and tomorrow should be the troughiest days. 

Noticed a big difference even inland: I was in Burbank and there was a cool breeze all the way out there even at 10am. Coastal areas should not exceed the low 70s. Nights could dip widespread into the mid-upper 50s.

Enjoy this respite from the heat while it lasts.

Semicoastal areas (about 2-15 miles inland, on the coastal plain) have seen the biggest drop in highs so far. Anaheim is a good example, their first day to stay below 80 in some time.

Immediate coasts are breezier than normal but not much different otherwise. Hottest interior locations still scraped up some 90s today, but that’s still a pretty sizable drop from 104+

• Excited 1

Already down to 67 here. The 4th should be pretty mild and on the cool side of average this year, even inland, due to the passing trough and plenty of ocean air brought in with it. Barbecue goers will enjoy 70s and 80s, rather than 90s and 100s.

Warming trend coming mid week, but it won’t be a heatwave, just a return to form.

• Windy 1

The Pacific has its own way to celebrate the 4th: the eddy spins like its very own Catherine wheel, and instead of sparks, it throws off clouds.

Shouldn’t stick around too long but will keep things more comfortable during the festivities and tamp down the fire risk when the Chinese sky candy comes out to play.

We used to have our backyard fireworks at my grandparents’ place in Winnetka. Some years it was mild like this,(sometimes even calling for a sweater once the sun went down) but I can remember some real scorchers when it was 100+. 2018 had a pretty significant heatwave around that time and 2020 gave us a toasty 4th before the Bummer Summer set in.

2 hours ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

It’s cool, but thankfully not enough to approach record cool “where’s summer?!” territory. This isn’t 2010.

I guess sea surface temperatures do make a difference although there's occasionally been times when the ocean gets very warm and we still get a deep and stubborn marine layer.