2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Generally I declare no-sky July if the heavy cloud cover continues past the first week of the month. It’s a borderline case for some areas right now.

Santa Monica Bay has been faring reasonably well, believe it or not. The weak eddy tends to sock in the SD coast while the headland of PV shields my area a bit. At the height of the low when the flow was roaring straight down the coast, the SM Bay becomes totally exposed while areas farther south had better clearing.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mr Marine Layer said:

Cutoff lows tend to do that. Just a little further south and we would be having a July 2010 repeat.

I wouldn't mind a July 2010 repeat as long as we get a winter that is similar to 2010-11. That winter featured a lot of snow in the Sierra and even in the Socal mountains.

Edited by Dan the Weatherman

Even with the warm highs, it drops like a stone at night due to the cool ocean waters. Fog has returned to my area too. It’s hard to believe that just a few years ago we had stretches where it was often 70-72 degrees at midnight, even in dense fog!

Monsoon also kinda wimpy in the first week of July but we’ve got time for the pattern to turn around.

• scream 1

Ocean has cooled back down a fair bit. Third straight year where it’s stayed closer to pre-millennium temperatures.

”Trunkable days” (70F or higher) currently stand at zero this year for coasts north of PV though we got very close in late June.

732CF9C5-08E5-4752-B091-6C02BF9B972B.gif

• Snow 1