2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Here comes the fog again. This wasn’t the norm when I was a kid. Then again, this is the third straight year under a La Niña type pattern.

It’s funny how they all seemed to unfold the same way — a comparatively light May/June gloom season and then July hits, and WHAM: troughing sets in and SSTs plummet.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Weenie 1

44 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Here comes the fog again. This wasn’t the norm when I was a kid. Then again, this is the third straight year under a La Niña type pattern.

It’s funny how they all seemed to unfold the same way — a comparatively light May/June gloom season and then July hits, and WHAM: troughing sets in and SSTs plummet.

I want to see El Nino again

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

I want to see El Nino again

I want to see El Nino return again, too, but I would also like to see the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO) finally flip back into its cool phase, as it has been in its warm phase since 1995. I believe the warm phase of the AMO is one of the major factors driving the recent drought in much of the western half of the country.

Edited by Dan the Weatherman

About the only place in the northern hemisphere that isn’t busting records left and right.

The second half of July is historically where the seasonal lag of the ocean starts to catch up a bit and beaches enjoy more warmth. 2011 and 2013 were good examples of summers that began with a whimper but eventually hit their stride, also staying warm well into the fall.

The SM Bay is always in a tug of war between colder waters creeping in from the north and warmer ones being pulled up from the south. It’s why our marine life is so diverse, but it also makes for a lot of variability in how well we clear and how high our highs get before the sea breeze kicks in.

Strong cooling extending farther inland too - only 69 in full sun in Middle Torrance according to the Ganahl Lumberyard sign. That’s not quite immediate coast — about 4-5 miles from the water.

Weather app says 73 but they’re in a more sheltered spot I believe.

unless the ocean warms up soon the specter of a threedux of 2020 is starting to loom

Only the finest quality stucco!

Meanwhile the ML is hanging on tenaciously to the first mile or so from the beach and it’s already down to 67 here. Normal heat for early-mid July once you get 15+ miles from the coast.

Standard “Sepulveda Wall” conditions that are remarkable in their long-term consistency.

If this troughy pattern doesn’t shift soon, it could be 2010 all over again. Or if you prefer, just another 2020s summer. I’m not ready for a third straight year with occasional record cool highs in July and August.

I’ve tried to be the stoic one. Trying not to complain and just report…but the possibility of 3 consecutive Bummer Summers is wearing at me.

16 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Yeah, people praise our “natural AC” nonstop on Twitter but it often works too well.

Im pretty sure there were some times in 2020 and/or 2021 where it was warmer in Utqiagvik — a town well above the Arctic Circle! — than Manhattan Beach. 

Some people set their thermostat to 68 in the summer, so it works pretty well for them. I'd be freezing with the AC that low.

My home usually runs 68-78 naturally, (with some heating in the winter), depending on the time of year. Experts recommend setting your thermostat to 78 in summer anyway, so I’m well acclimated to the room being warm. I actually have cooler highs than you much of the time but the nights are a lot warmer.

We don’t have AC. There are times when we crave it, but those heatwaves have never lasted long enough to make us break down and get it, let alone justify the cost of operation. Just not enough cooling degree-days here. 2006 and 2015 notwithstanding, when we just kinda sweat through those.

54 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

There's no excuse for a city that is just under 35 Latitude North to have cooler Summers than Sault Ste. Marie, MI, a city that is literally surrounded by lakes and borders Canada.... 😂

loldks.PNG

lololollll.PNG

Coastal fog belt.

Look at Eureka and Willow Creek. 25 miles apart and they might as well be different countries.

California’s North Coast has been described as being able to drive from Inverness to Seville in the space of 20 miles. Pretty wild when you think about it.

Even down here, Santa Monica to West Covina can take you through five or six different climate zones in the space of an hour. The power of microclimates.