2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Keep this in check and let's compare it to after this latest grouping of storms hit.  The numbers have been updated and include the rain storm from last Thursday now and overall, it's great seeing the numbers go up significantly in some cases!

Since Jan 5 to Jan 7, the totals have changed to...

Shasta from 35% to 37%.  

Sonoma 36% to 40%.

Oroville 41% to 43%.

Folsom's went down because they actually let water out.  I don't know the reasoning for that... Maybe a flooding issue?

etc, etc... 

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 2.05.51 PM.png

• Like 2

Hello everyone, excited to join the discussion. Long time reader and finally got an account here. I’m in NorCal, Sacramento region and the recent crazy weather finally encouraged me to join. I got a weather station last summer and it’s thrown me even deeper into the obsession weather than I already had been.

Anyways, here’s a picture of our fence blowing down during last nights crazy storm. Hope tonight isn’t quite as terrifying. We lost power and so did our station unfortunately so I don’t know what the max gusts were but I think it was somewhere in the 60s mph. Craziest wind storm I’ve ever been in. Precipitation is looking nice here, currently at 14.5 inches for the season, average is somewhere around 18 for the entire year, so it’s looking great! See you around the forums! 82A1A0DC-480B-4F44-A55C-E51233101470.thumb.jpeg.81b6db7e6a0ae015271ffb5e6cdcdbd7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Storm 1

8 hours ago, DeltaBreeze said:

Hello everyone, excited to join the discussion. Long time reader and finally got an account here. I’m in NorCal, Sacramento region and the recent crazy weather finally encouraged me to join. I got a weather station last summer and it’s thrown me even deeper into the obsession weather than I already had been.

Anyways, here’s a picture of our fence blowing down during last nights crazy storm. Hope tonight isn’t quite as terrifying. We lost power and so did our station unfortunately so I don’t know what the max gusts were but I think it was somewhere in the 60s mph. Craziest wind storm I’ve ever been in. Precipitation is looking nice here, currently at 14.5 inches for the season, average is somewhere around 18 for the entire year, so it’s looking great! See you around the forums! 82A1A0DC-480B-4F44-A55C-E51233101470.thumb.jpeg.81b6db7e6a0ae015271ffb5e6cdcdbd7.jpeg

Welcome to the forums. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeltaBreeze said:

Anyways, here’s a picture of our fence blowing down during last nights crazy storm. Hope tonight isn’t quite as terrifying. We lost power and so did our station unfortunately so I don’t know what the max gusts were but I think it was somewhere in the 60s mph. Craziest wind storm I’ve ever been in. Precipitation is looking nice here, currently at 14.5 inches for the season, average is somewhere around 18 for the entire year, so it’s looking great! See you around the forums! 

Welcome to the community!  So glad we got some new blood in here to hopefully liven things up! :D I've been trying, and we got some dedicated folks here, but most just care about their block they live on and that's about it. lol.

Sorry about your fence, that does indeed stink.  

Looking forward to having you aboard! 

• Like 2

From the Storm Prediction Center, who has areas along the coast in a marginal risk:

...CA...
   A potent mid-level shortwave trough will move ashore the CA coast
   during the day with this feature moving to the Four Corners by
   daybreak Wednesday.  Mid-level cold air advection accompanying the
   trough will act to weakly destabilize the airmass primarily in the
   vicinity of the central and southern CA coast and adjacent
   mountains.  A plume of deep-layer moisture from the eastern Pacific
   will favor scattered to widespread showers and isolated
   thunderstorms from the coast to areas farther inland (i.e., Mojave
   Desert and southern Great Basin).  Forecast soundings near the coast
   show weak buoyancy with a strong wind profile featuring veering flow
   strengthening with height.  A few weak, transient embedded cells
   near the central-southern CA coast may exhibit episodic weak
   rotation, and perhaps be capable of a localized risk for wind damage
   or a brief/weak tornado during the day.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Told my parents to expect an early Chargers appearance in Norcal tonight maybe. They aren't really football fans. I keep hassling them for their 24 hour totals in Oakland but they haven't given it. Lightning is rare for coastal CA.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

I was watching a news channel in Sacramento and they showed video of Highway 101, where a portion was a running stream of water and debris and trapping cars.  

NWS Monterey posted some good informative graphs and what not.  

Don't forget more rain and strong winds tonight for Northern California tonight.  The rain and snow will be in Central/Southern California tonight. Rolling into LA, Santa Barbara, Bakersfield, etc.  San Diego is again getting out of another storm with practically no hit.

image.thumb.jpeg.dd72967295ff60c95044c7ebd55aefe4.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DeltaBreeze said:

Welcome to the forum! It is nice to see some new CA bloggers on here!

Another CA weather and climate blog you may enjoy if you are not already there is Weather West (weatherwest.com). I visit both sites on a regular basis, although I tend to post on Weather West more often than I do here since there more people there. I do hope that more people join on this forum as well, though!

Edited by Dan the Weatherman
  • Like 2

Parents had three inches of rain in 24 hours.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Really sorry to see all the damage from the heavy rain out west.  South Central US would gladly take some of it off your hands.
Terribly dry here.  The river of rain remains north of Texas/Oklahoma.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*