2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

6 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Strange. You are inland. 

It had burned off completely less than an hour later. Temperature reached 84F here this afternoon.

HPWREN added a new camera location, this time to "Buffalo Bump" just south of Margarita Peak in the far southern Santa Ana Mountains, along the border with Camp Pendleton. I've been very close to that location before on remote hikes. Buffalo Bump is part of the Santa Margarita sub-range, with several power transmission lines crossing over it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Reg said:

It had burned off completely less than an hour later. Temperature reached 84F here this afternoon.

HPWREN added a new camera location, this time to "Buffalo Bump" just south of Margarita Peak in the far southern Santa Ana Mountains, along the border with Camp Pendleton. I've been very close to that location before on remote hikes. Buffalo Bump is part of the Santa Margarita sub-range, with several power transmission lines crossing over it.

Picture from a hike I went on back in April 2013. I was out there for six hours and never saw a single person. No cellphone service at all.

91123245_Screenshot2022-03-15094444.png.433b36cce6e8ac8ed74340c858ea439f.png

• Like 2

The money giveaway continues in pursuit of the "reservoir storage" dream to solve our water problems. California has plenty of storage capacity. We just need rain to fill em up! 5 billion $ to create the Sites reservoir? Sites dam and reservoir

https://apnews.com/article/business-mountains-environment-california-droughts-d6bad431e38b4e1a377fdbcf40bea6bd

Make a lot of jobs. So would building an aqueduct.

It's 350 miles-as the crow flies- more like 550 If the I5 route were followed- from Portland/Columbia river to the top of the Sacramento valley. The interstate is wide enough for a big aqueduct plus we already own the right of way.

6 hours ago, Reg said:

I wonder if/when we'll ever see a rainy season like 2004-2005 again. I was in middle school at the time but I'll never forget that legendary rainy season. We haven't had anything even remotely like it ever since.

Socal weather seems to come in wetter and drier cycles with some periods being really wet, some in between and some really dry periods. This period that we have been recently experiencing since 2012-13 has been the worst one that I have experienced in terms of dryness. The next worst period of dryness I remember was from 1986-87 to 1990-91, in which the March Miracle of 1991 ended up signaling a change to a wetter period afterward.

I had really high expectations that 2015-16 would be another ultra-wet year like 2004-05 or 1997-98, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. If and when we finally get into another wetter cycle, I think it is possible that we could have another year like 2004-05, unless things have changed so drastically over the last 15 years.