2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Only 73F today and mostly cloudy - pleasant.

May 2022 is about to end as my third consecutive May with no measurable rainfall at my weather station. Interestingly, the dry Mays I recorded in both 2020 and 2021, subsequently June did feature some measurable rainfall here those years.

2011 was interesting: from what I recall the summer started out relatively gloomy and cool (reminiscent of 2010 at times) but somewhere around the second half of July things changed. I remember freezing my butt off at UCLA’s orientation in the morning around mid month but it warmed up soon after that.

August and September were exceptionally hot at times. In late September one of the craziest heatwaves of my life hit, with even coastal areas affected. Humidity was high and some places approached 120F! I attended a wedding in Somis which is in Ventura County and I felt like I was in Miami that night it was so humid!

The heat lasted well into October, too. It was the teaser for several more scorchers in that decade. Especially 2014, 2015, and 2018.

for years after that I almost never needed a jacket on summer mornings ; it felt like a relic of the 90s and 2000s. 2020 changed that heh.

• Excited 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

2003 was the gloomiest June ever.

The early 2000s saw another extended period of on and off again La Niña and a cooler Pacific that led to bad glooms. I remember a blogger named Matthew Strickland bemoaning the conditions in SD, where he felt like “I’m starting to think I live in Seattle” and “the entire county” was covered. He described it reaching as far as Pine Valley which is over 3000 feet up.

• Like 1