Jan 14th-16th Potent Hybrid Clipper

Tom

10 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Winds will be gusting 34-38 on the back side, not blizzard but it will blow the snow around.

I noticed the isobars looked a bit tighter down that way. The snow should be wetter too. Hopefully it's cold enough up here to fluff it up a bit.

• Like 1

This looks to be a very potent system. Anyone lands on its bullseye, will score bigly. Good luck to y'all who are in the path of this. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Central/western Iowa is really looking good.  That area hasn't had much snow this season, so they deserve it.

I hope the American and Canadian models are right that good snow will make it into eastern Iowa.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

FWIW, the ICON is farther northeast... although it has been a ne outlier, so it really hasn't changed much.

image.thumb.png.c8d3855847272da41200d9d187a4dcc7.png

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The heavy snow band didn't move much on the 00z RDPS, but it did trend toward the UK/Euro and pull back the eastward extent.  Cedar Rapids drops a few inches this run.

As shown above it seems like there's some indication of snow continuing for a relatively long time, but I have to wonder if this ends up incorrect. Recent storms seem to have had Canadian high pressure verify stronger than what forecasts expected, leading to not only suppressed storm systems but also less precipitation overall. Good example is the most recent storm system that tracked from Omaha to Chicago, with the heaviest snow verifying south of forecasts and the northern end of the entire snowfall zone ending up drier than projected IIRC.

Not to say this is going to happen here, but if it did, one might think it results in a more westward track (supposing that Canadian HP north of the Great Lakes verifies stronger than forecasted) but also lower amounts as the column is drier than expected. I have more concern with the storm ending up drier than expected. Thoughts?

• Like 2

No doubt going to be drier than most guidance as most events usually are. The question is how much drier than normal?? I'd say 6-8 in heaviest areas with isolated 8+ in spots at this juncture.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

10 minutes ago, The Snowman said:

As shown above it seems like there's some indication of snow continuing for a relatively long time, but I have to wonder if this ends up incorrect. Recent storms seem to have had Canadian high pressure verify stronger than what forecasts expected, leading to not only suppressed storm systems but also less precipitation overall. Good example is the most recent storm system that tracked from Omaha to Chicago, with the heaviest snow verifying south of forecasts and the northern end of the entire snowfall zone ending up drier than projected IIRC.

Not to say this is going to happen here, but if it did, one might think it results in a more westward track (supposing that Canadian HP north of the Great Lakes verifies stronger than forecasted) but also lower amounts as the column is drier than expected. I have more concern with the storm ending up drier than expected. Thoughts?

My office sorta touched on this today.

However, there is
consensus that this system will have ample flow of dry Arctic air to
its west and warm moist Gulf air to its east which sets up a
formidable environment for stark boundaries upping the possibility of
significant winter weather including snow. 

2 minutes ago, jcwxguy said:

probably more realistic 

USA_ASNOWIPER_sfc_096.gif

Agree- their algorithm they use for snowfall has always been very good over the years...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.