Jan 14th-16th Potent Hybrid Clipper

Tom

On the eastern edge models keep waffling... up a bit, then back down, up a bit again, then back down.  Once again, like last storm, the Euro is on the dry end of the range.  It was wrong last time.

Southwest MN through west/central Iowa is going to get a real nice dumping.  I hope more of us can get in on something like this in February.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

As expected, the 12z HRRR has shifted significantly sw and is now in line with other models.

image.thumb.png.97b3eda878893de0384f0bab4b4b466d.png

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

3 minutes ago, FarmerRick said:

I keep hearing this storm will produce a very wet, heavy snow(low ratios). 

Makes me wonder why everyone is posting Kuchera maps....

At the onset it will be wet, but then ratios improve to 13 maybe 14 to 1 for the Des Moines area, and Kuchera takes that into account. 

Welp, when we end up with 2" it'll be quicker to melt when the temps jump back up into 40s the beginning of next week. Then it's back to dry weather to end the month and mostly above average temps for here according to the GFS. Latest GFS has me 6.2 degrees above normal for the run, which if there's not going to be snow on the ground make it warm.

• Like 1

GFS's trend is not good for kc... it is continued to shift slightly east the past 4 runs or so. This is the 850 mb heights with temp advection. The area just north and east of the low where good low-level WAA is occuring is where the best lift would be. You also tend to not like to see the low track directly over you... this is a good trend for STL, though, where I am now! Also worried about temps for KC.. it really wraps in some warm air and keeps temps 2 degrees or so above freezing for a while. Watching for a continued trend with this solution which would bring heavier snow totals down into parts of northeast Missouri. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 10.21.24 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Jack_GradStudent said:

GFS's trend is not good for kc... it is continued to shift slightly east the past 4 runs or so. This is the 850 mb heights with temp advection. The area just north and east of the low where good low-level WAA is occuring is where the best lift would be. You also tend to not like to see the low track directly over you... this is a good trend for STL, though, where I am now! Also worried about temps for KC.. it really wraps in some warm air and keeps temps 2 degrees or so above freezing for a while. Watching for a continued trend with this solution which would bring heavier snow totals down into parts of northeast Missouri. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 10.21.24 AM.png

Is this system fully sampled now?

I'm in Brookings SD so I'm not rooting for the eastward shift. Marshall MN is a good place to live for getting the "big ones" with a fair level of frequency. I've often thought I should move to Ludington MI but I'd probably get annoyed with the lake effect snow after awhile.

Tab2FileL.png

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tom said:

0z Euro keeps hope alive for E NE peeps...IA is locked in...eastern side of IA is riding the edge...so are the MSP folks...lake effect signal somewhat better for NE IL....

1.png

I couldn't help but notice the difference in the Kuchera maps between what you posted and what I shared. I use PW and you use weathermodels.com. Are there different Kuchera formulas? I assumed it was the same formula and so the maps across sites would be the same. "My" Kuchera showed Omaha with 7.3" and "your" Kuchera has 10". Kinda weird I thought...

9 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I couldn't help but notice the difference in the Kuchera maps between what you posted and what I shared. I use PW and you use weathermodels.com. Are there different Kuchera formulas? I assumed it was the same formula and so the maps across sites would be the same. "My" Kuchera showed Omaha with 7.3" and "your" Kuchera has 10". Kinda weird I thought...

Ya, each firm seems to have their own algorithm’s in how they calculate kuchera snow ratios.  I know weatherbell also shows a different solution.

• Like 1

Weatherbell's maps and weathermodels.com maps were developed by the same person, Ryan Maue.  Both sites seem to use an overly-juiced Kuchera algorithm.  One would think all Kuchera maps should be the same.

• Like 4

The 12z Euro is back east a bit, continuing its back-and-forth pattern.  I think this is the best run for Waterloo/CR/IC in a while.

Here's the 10:1 map.

image.thumb.png.f881945035165407412b052797199af3.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1