Jan 14th-16th Potent Hybrid Clipper

Tom

12z FV3

All the short-term models that were showing 7-8" here have come down to 6".  That's about where the globals are, too, so 5-6" appears to be a good bet.

image.png

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

32 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Did the heavy snow just miss your area or it was much less everywhere than predicted?

Totals were higher to the west as expected, but models really inflated the numbers there too. Most places got higher end WWA numbers at best.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

16 minutes ago, Jack_GradStudent said:

The euro is shifted its totals more west.. I can't tell if I think this is wrong or not.. GFS is so much more bullish for the stl area.. are the totals more further west up north than expected?

It verified way farther West than models had put it in the Dakotas.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I iust left Cedar Rapids and got to North Liberty. It’s 32°. Snow is very wet and slushy. It’s not accumulating quickly at this temp. Need a couple degree drop and then it should start accumulating better. Some North/South roads that are out in the open are drifting over. So some spots are slick but the interstate is just wet. 

• Like 1

The HRRR continues to increase the total for CR/IC.  The 18z is predicting another 8" on top of what I already have.  That seems rather extreme.  If I end up with 5-6" I'll be happy.

image.thumb.png.e98021fe17c46fb0d402b57ac79712e3.png

• Like 3
  • scream 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Rates still suboptimal. Hope they get better. 6” still seems reasonable. We aren’t gonna end up with 10+ like the HRRR thinks we will, however.

heavier snows seem to be inducing subsidence in NC IA. Trend worth following.

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")