Jan 14th-16th Potent Hybrid Clipper

Tom

12 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Rates still suboptimal. Hope they get better. 6” still seems reasonable. We aren’t gonna end up with 10+ like the HRRR thinks we will, however.

heavier snows seem to be inducing subsidence in NC IA. Trend worth following.

The HRRR has consistently shown the best snow rate from 2pm through evening.  Yesterday it had 0.5"/hr for about five hours.  The 18z run has 0.7"/hr rate for ten hours.  We'll know soon.  We are currently seeing the heaviest snow so far.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Iowa City Airport says 31.  It's snowing lightly here at the moment.  We are around an inch gave or take a few tenths.  Until rates pickup a bit more or temps drop a little more we will not accumulate as quickly as I'd like.  Radar looks like things will pickup shortly though. 

I'm not sure what's up with the HRRR.  It just continues to boost totals.  The 20z run has another 7+" falling on CR/IC, on top of what we already have.

• Popcorn 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

7" report in Humboldt Iowa in North Central Iowa.  Looks like they got under that early heavy band that developed this morning.  So far central and western Iowa have not fared too well, but models continue to show that they will eventually get some heavy snow.  

• Like 3

The rate here has been lackluster for the last hour.  We need brighter green to overrun us on radar.

1 minute ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

It’s snowing fatties here right now. Ground is already turning white. 32.7 degrees atm.

Forecast discussion said transition to snow would be closer to 6-7 here so hopefully that’s a good sign

82A8F648-AFA5-4F8E-A2F7-E80A26B98DAF.jpeg

Huge flakes coming down in Lincoln as well. Too bad temps are marginal and it doesn't look like it'll last long. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

18z NAM still looks good for KC

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

Clinton....never an easy snowfall forecast for our area. If we're snowing by 2am I will feel good about the higher amounts. Had it been cold from the get go, we would be looking at 6-10 inches easily.  Could we see some convective bands...maybe?? I think for a few hours in the morning it could be quite nasty with  heavy snow and wind gusts to 40 mph. 

Let's bring this one home. 

Go Chiefs!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MIKEKC said:

Clinton....never an easy snowfall forecast for our area. If we're snowing by 2am I will feel good about the higher amounts. Had it been cold from the get go, we would be looking at 6-10 inches easily.  Could we see some convective bands...maybe?? I think for a few hours in the morning it could be quite nasty with  heavy snow and wind gusts to 40 mph. 

Let's bring this one home. 

Go Chiefs!

Razar thin margin of error for me.  GFS has me looking at about 4 but that gets cut in half 10 miles to my south.  I wish we were getting this snow during the game Sunday, are you going to be there?

Just got into work at DSM airport about 30 mins ago. Roads are a rink. FZRA mixing in. Ratios' suck. Riding the edge is what you have to deal with when you have chance at the golden shovel...

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

30 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

Huge flakes coming down in Lincoln as well. Too bad temps are marginal and it doesn't look like it'll last long. 

yeah looking at radar, I don't see how this is going to last much longer than a few hours the back end is moving southeast so fast. AFD said snow ending by 4am and no way that happens as shown on radar

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

yeah looking at radar, I don't see how this is going to last much longer than a few hours the back end is moving southeast so fast. AFD said snow ending by 4am and no way that happens as shown on radar

I guess the "main storm" is supposed to be later tonight, but LNK will probably be completely missed or recieve very little. OMA will probably have better luck. I recieved around an inch on the grass with the heavy band - I'll be happy if OAX's 1-2" for Lincoln tonight actually verifies lol. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

I'm up to 3.1" at 5pm.  The temperature is down to 26º.

The latest HRRR says another 6" may fall.  I'm thinking 3-4" more.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

I guess the "main storm" is supposed to be later tonight, but LNK will probably be completely missed or recieve very little. OMA will probably have better luck. I recieved around an inch on the grass with the heavy band - I'll be happy if OAX's 1-2" for Lincoln tonight actually verifies lol. 

I'm telling you, I should have never bought a snowblower. I've always gone back and forth on getting one, but after last year's 50" of snow through beginning of February and me getting older, I bought a used one from my in-laws.

Of course, I haven't had to use it yet.😜

• lol 2

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I'm telling you, I should have never bought a snowblower. I've always gone back and forth on getting one, but after last year's 50" of snow through beginning of February and me getting older, I bought a used one from my in-laws.

Of course, I haven't had to use it yet.😜

Getting a snow blower is most certainly a curse- at least in our neck of the woods. I got ride of mine 4 years ago and ever since -

18-19 = 49"

19-20 = 34"

20-21 =  57"

avg is around mid 30's here.

Kidding of course................. but you never really know.😁

• lol 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.