Jan 14th-16th Potent Hybrid Clipper

Tom

My snow total shortly after 7pm is about 3.9".  It has become more difficult to measure because the snow is much drier and is blowing around.  I cleared two of my boards so it doesn't all compact overnight and cause my total to crap out.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Inverted trough near Creston,IA. WAA just infront of the CAA coming into DSM. POunding right now. Might make 10" after a very slow start.

image.thumb.png.8560e800ba18e3c942409fd062436099.png

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Solid snow has expanded northeast through the CR area, so we're looking good.  The latest HRRR says another few inches.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

For the guys down my way, rain has changed to snow here with a temp of 34.7 at my house. My deck is starting to whiten up already so we'll see where we go from here. It was in the mid 40s a couple of hours ago so it cooled off pretty quickly.

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

4 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

For the guys down my way, rain has changed to snow here with a temp of 34.7 at my house. My deck is starting to whiten up already so we'll see where we go from here. It was in the mid 40s a couple of hours ago so it cooled off pretty quickly.

That snow hole over Truman Lake is crazy.  I think I will escape that but just barely, I might be able to get 2 or 3.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clinton said:

That snow hole over Truman Lake is crazy.  I think I will escape that but just barely, I might be able to get 2 or 3.

The 00z NAM you posted would give me barely over an inch...nothing is ever easy here..lol

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

The blowing and drifting has ruined my measurements.  My main snow board, which I cleared shortly after 7pm, has no snow on most of it at 9:30pm despite 2+ hours of good snow.  The other cleared board has 1" on it, much closer to reality.  The third board, which I did not clear, has only another 0.4" on it since the last measurement.  I'm going with the 1", or just under to be a bit conservative.  That puts my total at 4.8".  I hate not being able to measure accurately.

Radar shows the beginning of the end for CR.  The solid returns to the north are breaking up.

• Like 1

Man, this back edge has been over performing. It’s been basically stationary for a few hours now.

No way to measure accurately anymore, but I’d guess 2.5-3”. Enough on the ground to form some 1’ drifts in my backyard at least.

Winds are gusting to 40 mph and the temp is down to 18 degrees so it’s all blowing around now and is pretty near looking like a blizzard at times.

At the very least I’m hoping this will be enough so my girls can go sledding tomorrow’s like they’ve been begging to do all winter.

• Like 5

We’ve been shut out in Lincoln. Not too surprised, models basically came to this consensus yesterday. Might get up to another half inch if this  pushes back far enough.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Got off at midnight. Roads about as bad as they get and iam no rookie. My street I live on and  my front door. Bad pic of door but 2' drift is all. 9.8" at KDSM through midnight.

PXL_20220115_063700663.jpg

PXL_20220115_063457355.jpg

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

**** EDITED ***** JAN total through 2AM is 17.2"-- not 18.1 -- but likely will get there.

With 3.2" of snowfal since midnight and storm total of 13"- DSM is now in top 10 snowiest JAN's with 18.1 (not showing here yet as this is only through yesterday)

4 consecutive years ( 19-20-21-22") all in the TOP 14.  Still valid even 17.2!!!  That's pretty impressive. Probability of that happening statistically is extremely low- obviously.

FEB is probably more impressive. 4 of the top snowiest FEB's have occurred since 2008.

137 years of records.

TOP 20 JAN snowfall ( through 1/14)

image.thumb.png.a91d08c5cb8378d02c04d3813e852ac4.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gabel23 said:

My mini blizzard. 

IMG_1613.MOV

Gotta enjoy what mother nature serves up!  Glad to hear your seeing some love from this system and also OMA peeps.  Surprises are always more fun to enjoy.  Man, this system really came together at the end for some of you out west.  This storm looks great on radar.  Love reading your reports...jealous, but thrilled on the same token to hear that many are cashing in...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

With 3.2" of snowfal since midnight and storm total of 13"- DSM is now in top 10 snowiest JAN's with 18.1 (not showing here yet as this is only through yesterday)

4 consecutive years ( 19-20-21-22") all in the TOP 14. That's pretty impressive

TOP 20 JAN snowfall ( through 1/14)

image.thumb.png.a91d08c5cb8378d02c04d3813e852ac4.png

That's a crazy stat Grizz...it was a slow start and I was a bit worried how things were unfolding early in the game but this system came together as modeled and BOOM!  D**n, things look epic out there...I'm sure your feeling ecstatic!  Winter has returned for your neck of the woods.

• Like 2

The radar loop really shows the story how this unfolded and created a comma head on over NE...very unusual and rare to see the precip shield head due S as it gets suppressed...

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=50&interval=10&year=2022&month=1&day=14&hour=17&minute=20

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

The radar loop really shows the story how this unfolded and created a comma head on over NE...very unusual and rare to see the precip shield head due S as it gets suppressed...

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=50&interval=10&year=2022&month=1&day=14&hour=17&minute=20

Talking with co worker over this- this probably a 1 in 100 events (snow events)  for DSM. Maybe even higher. Not so much the totals, but how DSM area was in the exact sweet spot with WAA coming in from the SW and CAA coming in from the NE and Polk CTY literally the battlezone where an atmospheric war was staged for several hours before the CAA (cold air advection for those that don't know= Warm Air adevection= WAA_)  ultimately won like it always. An insanely hard thing to happen in your neck of the woods and certainly a snow event I will never forget.

Have patience. It will come to your back yard someday!!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Talking with co worker over this- this probably a 1 in 100 events (snow events)  for DSM. Maybe even higher. Not so much the totals, but how DSM area was in the exact sweet spot with WAA coming in from the SW and CAA coming in from the NE and Polk CTY literally the battlezone where an atmospheric war was staged for several hours before the CAA (cold air advection for those that don't know= Warm Air adevection= WAA_)  ultimately won like it always. An insanely hard thing to happen in your neck of the woods and certainly a snow event I will never forget.

Have patience. It will come to your back yard someday!!!

You could totally see all of this on radar and eventually the CAA win the battle and rush south into your area.  This system is def a rarity to see unfold.  A "Hybrid Clipper" to remember for sure.....

Meantime, snowfall totals coming in across IA certainly are panning out in terms of the lollipop totals the models were flashing...plenty 8-12" totals in N/C IA...and into S MN...

On a + note, the lake is starting to show some influence here and I can officially say I have a coating of fresh snow...LOLZZZ...

• Like 1

I just "finished" about 1/3 of my driveway the old fashioned way with a shovel and some elbow grease. Sweating like a stuck pig -- holy smokes is that some dense stuff on the bottom. Only time I can remember working harder on this driveway with elbow grease is March 15th 2004 with legit 16" er. After that I got a snowblower. But we all know what happens then... 😆

Can't wait for the snowplow to come around in a few hours. That stuff when it freezes is going to be like an iceberg.

• Like 3

I know your not suppose to push/throw your snow into the street-- but if you do- push it to the right side of your driveway and into the street.

Downstream neighbors are very happy with the result. 😛

• lol 2