Jan 14th-16th Potent Hybrid Clipper

Tom

was out doing driveway for the 2nd time- talked to some local guys that plow/lawn service etc. --- f'ing up their gear big time.

Seriously going to mess with some people with heart issues etc that shovel .

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Stepped outside to try and take measurements.  Anywhere from 12.5 to 14 in spots just SW of Des Moines. Will call it 13.3 and thank my lucky stars! Spread the wealth storm for the forum in early February, hopefully after I get back from watching USA soccer, outdoors in St. Paul on Groundhog day!⚽🍻🥶

• Like 3

There a 7” and 7.5” report just to my east. I’m not sure I believe they got that much more less than 10 miles away. Unless I took a bad measurement. But I measured in several spots where the wind seemed to have less effect, so I think 5” is a pretty solid measurement here. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm going to record 6.2" here.  It's impossible to measure because of all the blowing and drifting.  My snow boards were randomly covered and scoured.  I'm mostly just going with what I estimated at 9:30pm (~4.8") and add another four hours of light to moderate rate.  That gets me to ~6.2".  Just taking measurements in the yard, 20 hours after it began, after all the snow blew and drifted and compacted (the drifts are very dense), will produce a lousy total.  I bet if there was no wind at all we'd have measured 7".

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

My melted-down gauge catch is around 0.60", so it appears we over-performed with precip, but the ratio was garbage due to the blowing and drifting.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

29 minutes ago, Jayhawker85 said:

I have about 2.8 in my yard. Glad the snow materialized earlier than planned so i was hoping for more but i won’t complain!

we are now in the boring part of the pattern for next several weeks so i will cherish this!

Will do maybe we'll run into a Clipper or something.  NW Flow most likely for the next 2 weeks or so.

I just took a core sample from 5 inches in my yard.  It melted down to 0.82"... a 6:1 ratio.  That is what blowing and drifting does to ratios... totally destroys them.  The snow may have been mostly dry, but the wind packs it together on the ground.  That suggests we would have piled up much more than 6 inches if the wind was light.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mlgamer said:

1.5" of snow in MBY out of this. Better than nothing I guess...

I think we need a Lincoln and Topeka panic room thread 😂 Probably the only two cities on here with members that have yet to recieve 2". Congrats to everyone who scored though! DSM especially does not screw around, pics from @Grizzcoat really show how it's done! 

• Like 4
  • lol 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

46 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

I think we need a Lincoln and Topeka panic room thread 😂 Probably the only two cities on here with members that have yet to recieve 2". Congrats to everyone who scored though! DSM especially does not screw around, pics from @Grizzcoat really show how it's done! 

Yeah, I'd move to Des Moines but I'm afraid of what they'd do to me when it stopped snowing there after I moved in...lol

• Like 2
  • lol 4

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Freeways are fine around DSM other than a few dicey spots.  But even main drags off the freeways I needed 4 getting to work .Residential streets  - another rung down the ladder.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

A little late, but about noon i finally  could take final measurements  from 3 am onward. 

Storm total 12.2"

I also measured  several  spots around  town easy 11 to 12" on north part.

In my  14 years in the business  here in Southeast  Iowa this clearly a top 5 snowfall. Possibly  4th largest.  Amazing  model progs,  kudos to nws and others. I had my doubts a clipper tyle sys could produce such a widespread  snow! Good for business!

Amazingly am at  19 inches since Jan 1st!

20220115_135807.jpg

• Like 8

ORD officially had...drum roll...0.3"...LES never really materialized here but it certainly did up near MKE and GRB area where it was colder aloft.  Congrats to everyone who scored surprises and to @ToastedRavs @Grizzcoatwho appear to have received the jackpot.  The models did a really good job highlighting C IA as near the epicenter of the higher totals.  

3 hours ago, Clinton said:

Snowfall totals from around the area.  They grouped me into the 3-4 inch area but I fell short of 3 inches.

271993927_301058768721794_3939338280723553759_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=l9QK8NzNMuMAX9bF16W&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&edm=AEDRbFQEAAAA&oh=00_AT-KCMjbyB-YH8lt_oPW2q_Hsj_jv-ZMw_il1IqRb7Hlmg&oe=61E93D81

I'm glad that you got to at least see something decent outta this storm and that goes for the rest of KC area.  Looks like they broke the 1" snowless streak.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 1.12.53 AM.png

• Like 6

15 hours ago, mlgamer said:

Yeah, I'd move to Des Moines but I'm afraid of what they'd do to me when it stopped snowing there after I moved in...lol

That was legit me after I moved to Lincoln from Texas. My first winter there was the infamous 2016-17.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

• Tom unpinned this topic