Jan 22nd - 25th Clipper Train/GL's LES

Tom

A classic NW Flow pattern will produce "ripples" of energy along the periphery of the Hudson Bay Vortex starting this weekend into early next week.  Models are fluctuating on strength/track as usual at this range.  Will be interesting to see who gets more snow out of this pattern.  The rich get richer...or...????  Let's discuss...

0z Euro...

1.png

0z GFS...

image.png

0z GDPS...

image.png

• Like 1

• Tom pinned this topic

I just took a peek at the 12z models, especially the Canadian and UK and thought, wow a clipper train is coming through.  And sure enough Tom already had this labelled exactly the same.  

Here's the UK at only 10:1, but ratios will likely be much higher than that.  The UK is showing clippers for portions of this forum starting Friday, continuing Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Some clippers are coming in so fast the last one is barely out of the region before another is on it's tails.  It's all about getting lucky in a pattern like this as the snow shields are usually small, but these can be fun if you get hit.  

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

Every other model besides the 0z GFS/UKIE brings a ribbon of snow here on Sunday...temps will be rather cold during this period so I would expect snow ratios to be on the higher end.  I would love this to verify and whiten things up.

0z Euro...

1.png

0z Canadien...

image.png

• Like 1

What happens with the more potent clipper on Mon/Tue is where models diverge...

0z Euro is north, Canadien/Ukie south and GFS in the middle...

2.png

0z Canadien...this would be amazing if it would happen but its the only model showing such a perfect track for N IL and most of the Lower Lakes region...

image.png

0z GFS...

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

LOT's AFD from yesterday afternoon...

The "clipper highway" or "clipper train" pattern will feature
24-36 hour intervals of these systems moving into the broader mid-
upper MS Valley/western Great Lakes region. 500 mb ensemble mean
shows the core of the strongest 500 mb winds oriented toward our
general direction. Predictability is still low on the specifics
of these low amplitude disturbances several days out, but what we
can say is regular chances of light to moderate snow accumulations
are possible, depending on the tracks each individual clipper
takes.

Models have trended north, so Cedar Rapids is on the southern edge of the Sunday morning clipper and then out of the next one. 🙁

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 hour ago, East Dubzz said:

South, North... if we're not gonna get much snow (which is fine!), I would really like the current stuff on the ground to melt! Getting to that point in my life where I guess I don't like the snow cover as much unless it's an exciting amount lol

Every time I almost slip on ice, I get jealous of the people in Oklahoma, Tennessee, and the Carolinas who get snow almost every year but then have it go away a day later lol

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

28 minutes ago, FAR_Weather said:

Every time I almost slip on ice, I get jealous of the people in Oklahoma, Tennessee, and the Carolinas who get snow almost every year but then have it go away a day later lol

I also used to not care about the cold weather because I liked it cold in my house and didn't have to turn the furnace up too much, but now that I have a 1-year old and have to make sure her rooms stays warms, it's not as fun when the bill comes due this time of year lol!

• Like 1

Pick your model of choice....I'm just really hoping and looking forward to see the snow fly again.  It's been one of those seasons where you have to cherish what "white gold" you can get from nature.  A couple inches on Sunday would be the best case scenario.

image.png

image.png

image.png

2.png

• Like 1

Looks like some light refreshers snows for the lakes.  We need it.  It's brown and yucky out there.   Outside the immediate lakeshore, we haven't seen more than a trace since Jan 6th.  15 days with no snow.  That's pretty crazy for SWMI in the dead of winter.   And it's been BN temps.  Monday/Tuesday looks like the winner of these systems so far.  

12z FV3 and RDPS... The RDPS was a south outlier, but has been drifting north every run.  At this point I'd bet on the best snow falling north of Cedar Rapids.  Only the 3k NAM and HRRR have it farther south.

image.thumb.png.d7da83bd411a87cadec7087803a42b85.png

image.thumb.png.c02090447713e15052f6e9ce8d1af250.png

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"