November 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

MikeInEverett

Still some intrigue with the ensembles...Not really paying attention until the operational shows something. It is being remarkably consistent. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Still some intrigue with the ensembles...Not really paying attention until the operational shows something. It is being remarkably consistent.

Euro and Euro ensembles look like some sort of continentally influenced troughing next week.

I am not really feeling a full fledged blast. Some east winds with highs in the mid-40s and lows in the 20s would be nice though. I would say that is very possible.

Took an hour to get home from work...a 15min drive. Trees down everywhere and no power anywhere that I saw. This is quite the windstorm!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just lost power here at school. Guess that's my cue to go home!

The South wind wasn't that strong here today but around 4:30 the wind abruptly switched to NW and REALLY ramped up. I saw tons of branches falling amd blowing a long way away from their tree right before the power went out. Felt like a war zone driving home with so many branches falling and blowing around. No power here at home either.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Going to be in the dark for a while, saw two power poles snapped with wires down all over near my house. And my wife is stuck in Everett. She tried several routes and no traffic is moving.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Hey everyone. I used to be a member of this forum back in 2008-2009. Learned a bunch just from lurking around. I have since moved from western wa to eastern wa, specifically Fruitland. My elevation is 2,359. Today was an eventful day, windy all day and picked up substantially as the day led on. Highest gust was 74 at my house. This time last night it was 28 degrees and snowing, woke up to 2" of snow melting very fast as the temp had climbed up to 39 by 7am. By noon it was all gone and dry and sustained 40 mph winds gusting to 60 or so.

I am stoked to see what this winter has in store as we are in a very strong El Nino pattern from I have learned recently. What are your guys' predictions for major events over here? I appreciate it.  :)

• Like 4

Hey everyone. I used to be a member of this forum back in 2008-2009. Learned a bunch just from lurking around. I have since moved from western wa to eastern wa, specifically Fruitland. My elevation is 2,359. Today was an eventful day, windy all day and picked up substantially as the day led on. Highest gust was 74 at my house. This time last night it was 28 degrees and snowing, woke up to 2" of snow melting very fast as the temp had climbed up to 39 by 7am. By noon it was all gone and dry and sustained 40 mph winds gusting to 60 or so.

I am stoked to see what this winter has in store as we are in a very strong El Nino pattern from I have learned recently. What are your guys' predictions for major events over here? I appreciate it.  :)

Welcome to the new forum, and keep posting. You are from a very unique part of the state!

Quite the hailstorm here in the last 10 minutes.   Ground is white.

Still calm.   Don't think wind ever got above 5 mph today here.   However... the roads down below us are under water.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Snohomish PUD says 150,000 residences are without power and this will be one of their worst storms in history. This after the August storm broke their record for most outages ever.

Hope it's not out for 3 days again like it was then.

Quite the hailstorm here in the last 10 minutes. Ground is white.

Still calm. Don't think wind ever got above 5 mph today here. However... the roads down below us are under water.

Chains required on Snoqualmie Pass because of hail right now.

I've never seen that before.

Thursday is a perfect day given the existing conditions.   Sunny in all the places that have been far too wet lately... and cloudy and raining down in Oregon where they need it.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/intcld.45.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

GFS was better... but Canadian is worse for next week.  

Here is the new 00Z run for next Wednesday:

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_192_0000.gif

And the 12Z run for the same time:

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_204_0000.gif

For comparison... the new 00Z GFS for next Wednesday:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_192_500_vort_ht.gif

So raging zonal flow is delayed but not denied.

That's my guess. A big Aleutian/GOA vortex (+PNA) should take over sometime during the first week of December, and when it does, most of the country will end up blowtorching.

That's my guess. A big Aleutian/GOA vortex (+PNA) should take over sometime during the first week of December, and when it does, most of the country will end up blowtorching.

This always seems to be your 2-3 week forecast.

I don't remember you predicting a coolish (in some spots) and active November for us.

Snohomish PUD says 150,000 residences are without power and this will be one of their worst storms in history. This after the August storm broke their record for most outages ever.

Hope it's not out for 3 days again like it was then.

Yeah Snohomish co PUD is now saying this could be the most damage they have ever experienced in their history. Saw no PUD trucks anywhere while driving home from the lake house. I have a feeling we will be without power for a long time. Also they are also saying the Stilly could crest at record flood stage, this reminds me of Novembers when I was a kid.

This always seems to be your 2-3 week forecast.

I don't remember you predicting a coolish (in some spots) and active November for us.

Well, you're wrong. I do my best to convey my thoughts and be positively engaging here, so posts like this are just a tad bit irritating.

This was my last intraseasonal outlook, posted on October 11th. I haven't changed anything, and in fact I believe this forecast has verified.

I think your best shot might be November this year, but a January event is also on the table, in my opinion.

November looks -PNA/+WPO dominated to me, but getting polar air into the PNW requires strong NPAC wave breaking/-EPO, which is certainly not a lock.

December looks like a nationwide blowtorch. January looks like a transition month, February looks to feature legitimate polar blocking, but probably will only benefit the east w/ the +PNA going.

0z GFS looking good. Big improvement over 18z.

Yes indeed.  Given how much better the other models have been I expect the improving trend will continue.

Jesse has to be pleased there is basically no warm weather being shown over the next 10 days at least.  I know I sure am.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah Snohomish co PUD is now saying this could be the most damage they have ever experienced in their history. Saw no PUD trucks anywhere while driving home from the lake house. I have a feeling we will be without power for a long time. Also they are also saying the Stilly could crest at record flood stage, this reminds me of Novembers when I was a kid.

It was obviously way worse up there than it was here.  December 2006 was MUCH worse here than this event.  Very interesting about the stilly.  Huge flooding on that one and the Skagit seems to be the best harbingers of a coming Arctic outbreak.  There must have been enough snowpack to exacerbate the flooding this time.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9