November 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

MikeInEverett

Chilly and frosty later in the week?    Here is Thursday morning.   Right back in the fire hose once again.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_nam/images_d2/pcp1.84.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks pretty chilly around Thanksgiving as the various ensembles suites (ECM, GEFS, CMC) all show the PNW being brushed by modified arctic air as northerly flow develops across the region. It doesn't look that cold yet...6-8 degrees below normal at PDX (something like a 42/30 for hi/lo) but potential exists for things to change quite a bit given this is still in the 11-15 day timeframe. That said, fair agreement in the longwave pattern evolution for that far out. Potential for a transition event the weekend after Thanksgiving...whether that means wintry precip for some of us in the lowlands remains to be seen. What is clear is the first wintry airmass of the season seems to be on tap for the holiday.

• Like 2

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Looks pretty chilly around Thanksgiving as the various ensembles suites (ECM, GEFS, CMC) all show the PNW being brushed by modified arctic air as northerly flow develops across the region. It doesn't look that cold yet...6-8 degrees below normal at PDX (something like a 42/30 for hi/lo) but potential exists for things to change quite a bit given this is still in the 11-15 day timeframe. That said, fair agreement in the longwave pattern evolution for that far out. Potential for a transition event the weekend after Thanksgiving...whether that means wintry precip for some of us in the lowlands remains to be seen. What is clear is the first wintry airmass of the season seems to be on tap for the holiday.

Nice to see you posting. I always enjoy reading your analysis.

Chilly and frosty later in the week? Here is Thursday morning. Right back in the fire hose once again.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_nam/images_d2/pcp1.84.0000.gif

I wouldn't call a trace to 3/10 of an inch of precip back under a hose.

And, your showing the NAM.

It's a hose of some sort. :)

Far from the clear and dry that was shown earlier.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice to see you posting. I always enjoy reading your analysis.

Thanks Shawnigan Lake. I enjoy tracking the potential for cold air this time of year and with the holiday down here and the obvious trend over the last several days in the ensembles, figured it was a good time to post my thoughts.

And, your showing the NAM.

Here is the GFS for Thursday.   That is a fire hose!  Again.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_099_precip_p24.gif

Glad to see people already pinpointing the timing of the transition event. I was wondering!

Hope last night wasn't too rough waiting for flakes to mix in with the rain atop Bull Mtn. Insomnia is a ***** sure but couple that with even an infinitesimally small chance of seeing a flake...that is sheer torture.

Total rain through Friday morning... serious rain this week. 

Just what you guys need up there. We managed a torrential 0.29" out of the last storm down here in Portland. Still running a deficit for the month to date.

Just what you guys need up there. We managed a torrential 0.29" out of the last storm down here in Portland. Still running a deficit for the month to date.

Definitely need more rain.   I like 2 feet per week... only getting a foot last week hurts.

Penalties will probably do a better job of that than me.

Holy crap.    I mean WTF.    Hard to win a race when you are carrying a gun and shooting yourself every other step.

But you used the NAM as your example which was far from a firehose.

You call people out, deal with it when you called out.

ICE BURN

Pretty low IQ stuff.

So true.   Relaxing rest of the season now.   Might have to put the Vikings back on top of my cheering hierarchy for the rest of this season.    What a role reversal there in the last year.

The Seahawks are just painful in the way they lose.   It all there for them but they just give it away.  It would be much easier to take if they were just beat 38-10 by a far superior team.

What the hell happened to the cold spell coming later this week??    What a screw job by the models.   It just disappeared.

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

What the hell happened to the cold spell coming later this week?? What a screw job by the models. It just disappeared.

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

You are surprised!!?? This is normal. ;)