2/16 - 2/18 Plains/GL's Cutter

Tom

@ KC folks and @Clinton @clintbeed1993...you guys are looking great after today's runs.  I expected to see the models to look more like the ensembles for today's 12z suite.  You cannot discount the consistency of the GEFS that have been leading the way with this storm.  Even the EPS is playing catchup...sometimes you gotta give the GFS/GEFS credit sniffing out a storm and esp when its been locked on a track for so many days.  

Trends are your friend....KC is in a great spot where the defo band sets up....look at the grouping of the ensemble members...great set up!  I think its fair to say we have been waiting for a storm track like this all season...too bad so much rain gets wasted on the front end....

2.gif

1.gif

Tonight's 0z EPS is slowly but surely trending towards the GEFS...the GFS/GEFS are going to score a coupe with this storm IMHO.  The model has handled this system quite good at a far distance (Day 5+) and now inside D5 the Euro is playing catchup.   

Nice look for KC peeps and N MO...

2.png 

3.png

Uptick in some heavy hits showing up on the ensemble members...

4.png

5.png

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

I'm liking the trends in the modeling of ejecting the 500mb vortex out into the TX Panhandle region as the SLP deepens and strengthens.  This is right where the LRC's "slot" developed way back in OCT/NOV...we're finally seeing the pattern cycle and produce a true winter storm scenario.  I'm also seeing a slight slowing trend and a neg tilt of the system.  Hopefully today's 12z suite we see a more pronounced defo band.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

@ KC folks and @Clinton @clintbeed1993...you guys are looking great after today's runs.  I expected to see the models to look more like the ensembles for today's 12z suite.  You cannot discount the consistency of the GEFS that have been leading the way with this storm.  Even the EPS is playing catchup...sometimes you gotta give the GFS/GEFS credit sniffing out a storm and esp when its been locked on a track for so many days.  

Trends are your friend....KC is in a great spot where the defo band sets up....look at the grouping of the ensemble members...great set up!  I think its fair to say we have been waiting for a storm track like this all season...too bad so much rain gets wasted on the front end....

2.gif

1.gif

Tonight's 0z EPS is slowly but surely trending towards the GEFS...the GFS/GEFS are going to score a coupe with this storm IMHO.  The model has handled this system quite good at a far distance (Day 5+) and now inside D5 the Euro is playing catchup.   

Nice look for KC peeps and N MO...

2.png 

3.png

Uptick in some heavy hits showing up on the ensemble members...

4.png

5.png

Euro control still has the heavy band about 100 miles further south compared to the GEFS.  Big big difference for my place..I'd feel a lot better being in KC for this.  Will be interesting considering how rock solid the GFS has been for several days, which absolutely blasts me. Will it score the coupe or fall embarrassingly on it's face? LET'S FIND OUT

• Like 3

So here we are roughly 48 hrs from the peak of the event for MBY and everything is up in the air. No watches have been issued and my point forecast now includes the dreaded winter mix. The GFS/NAM camp have a monster storm here while the Euro/CMC camp have me riding on the usual edge. So Hope tells me this will be a good one while Experience says this will be another disappointment. Rinse and repeat...lol

• Like 3

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 minute ago, mlgamer said:

So here we are roughly 48 hrs from the peak of the event for MBY and everything is up in the air. No watches have been issued and my point forecast now includes the dreaded winter mix. The GFS/NAM camp have a monster storm here while the Euro/CMC camp have me riding on the usual edge. So Hope tells me this will be a good one while Experience says this will be another disappointment. Rinse and repeat...lol

6z Euro looking better for you.

1645182000-BTCQNOb1QvQ.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stacsh said:

Euro still south.  Been so steady.  Gonna win this one. Gfs trending south of me now as well.   I’m glad.  Don’t want a snow storm.   Over amped gfs and nam always wrong here.  

gfs has been just as steady and the euro has actually slowly moved NORTH. Not sure what you're looking at

• Like 3

I'am outta of the game-- but the Euro has moved more N than the GFS has moved S, its not even close. Until.....

It sure seems DMX going with GFS based on their graphics above.

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

23 minutes ago, Clinton said:

EC is further north, looks like the Euro is giving way to the GEFS and KC will be the target.

1645142400-wM8fbTM2cr0.png

1645142400-LXNG2nuhFmM.png

1645142400-TASDmNc1gRY.png

1645142400-SFVp6Z5eNBI.png

Yup, it’s obvious EURO/EPS is playing catch-up.  I like the battle shaping up between the American 🇺🇸 vs European

• Like 2

12z NAM shows it ripping here just after lunch time on Thursday...hope these trends hold as it will be a nice daytime snowstorm...with temps in the mid-20's and strong NNE during the majority of the snow fall, I'd imagine snow ratios to be on the order of 12:1-14:1...this would also be the first storm that looks to show a trowel-like feature on radar wrapping in thunderstorms into the cold sector.  We have not seen this for pretty much the entire season.

24-hour qpf nearing 1.00" for a lot of N IL/SE IA...this would be the biggest snowfall of the season for many in IL...

qpf_024h.us_mw.png

ref1km_ptype.us_mw.png

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

NAM is way north.

At first I inadvertently was looking at the 6z run and I'm like, what are you talking about, LOL.  What a pleasant surprise.  Although I do fairly well on this run of the NAM, I really need another 50 miles north to make things really interesting. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

At first I inadvertently was looking at the 6z run and I'm like, what are you talking about, LOL.  What a pleasant surprise.  Although I do fairly well on this run of the NAM, I really need another 50 miles north to make things really interesting. 

Ya, another bump north would be nice!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tStacsh said:

I'd hate to be on the southern edge of the snow.  Looks like a LOT of sleet, mix precip.  I'm confident where I'm at it will be mostly snow.  Looks like 20-30 miles south of me will see the best accumulations.  Another close one.  

And for the northern edge there will be a sharp cut-off from the heavy snow axis to almost nothing in a matter of miles.  Tons of dry air just to the north

1 minute ago, Wheezer said:

And for the northern edge there will be a sharp cut-off from the heavy snow axis to almost nothing in a matter of miles.  Tons of dry air just to the north

True.  It's like everyone posting is on the line of rain, heavy snow, no snow or sleet lol.  What I have going for me is that snow tends to over shoot models north by 15-25 miles no matter what, even the day of the event.  Always seems that the snow shield, even if light,  goes north a little.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

RGEM remains south.  

Way south and weaker, especially as it moves east.

image.thumb.png.12bfd7d8a56345870b85703b517f4053.png

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

9 minutes ago, MIKEKC said:

ICON is way south, ICON nudge north, ICON is still way south, ICON just coming in, still way south of the GFS. (last 3 days)

12Z ICON, boom, right in line with the GFS and NAM, smashes KC with heavy snow!!!

Models playing catch up

12z ICON right in line with the GEFS

icon_asnow_ncus_24.png

1645164000-Q32u21v87LU.png

• Like 1