2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

it has been downright ugly here in Orange the last few days with a lot of smog / haze in the air. I can't even see the Santa Ana Mountains today, which are just a few miles east of here.

We need a pattern change badly, as I am getting tired of this ad-nauseum Atacama Desert like weather pattern that we have been in since the summer!

I wasn't aware of the haze until seeing a camera view of the Basin this afternoon. There has been enough offshore wind to keep the valleys/ inland areas clear w/ good visibilities. But the ridging and lack of cirrus made for a warm day; back in the 80's for a while. Per CPC, "the MJO mid-latitude response becomes more robust and would favor a pattern change during the second half of January". So we may wait for rain until later next month.

80/ 53

• Like 1

I wasn't aware of the haze until seeing a camera view of the Basin this afternoon. There has been enough offshore wind to keep the valleys/ inland areas clear w/ good visibilities. But the ridging and lack of cirrus made for a warm day; back in the 80's for a while. Per CPC, "the MJO mid-latitude response becomes more robust and would favor a pattern change during the second half of January". So we may wait for rain until later next month.

80/ 53

This is beginning to look a lot like 1962-63, which had fall just about as dry as this year. These two years have had the driest falls in Los Angeles, I believe. 1958-59 and 1975-76 were really dry and 1995-96 and 1999-2000 were dry to a lesser extent, but they were slightly wetter than these two years have been.

It was a warm/ windy night. At least we don't need to turn on the furnace much this winter.

You live in one of the areas most likely to get offshore winds. There is fog at the coast and the night was chilly.

I don't understand why people in California live in hilly areas, which are prone to wildfires and mudslides.

You live in one of the areas most likely to get offshore winds. There is fog at the coast and the night was chilly.

I don't understand why people in California live in hilly areas, which are prone to wildfires and mudslides.

Inversion is like a layered cake:

6AM

JOHN WAYNE AP  CLEAR     49  43  80 CALM      30.12R                 

LAGUNA BEACH     N/A     42  40  92 CALM      30.07R                 

LAKE FOREST FR   N/A     58  25  28 CALM      30.00R       

"In most of these regions, the scientists found that similar very dry events had occurred since the late 16th century. However, two of the state’s hardest hit regions—the San Joaquin Drainage and the South Coast Drainage—likely hadn’t seen a four-year period as dry since at least before 1571. “These two regions include the agriculturally important Central Valley and the densely populated greater Los Angeles and San Diego metropolitan areas,” said Dr. Wahl, “So, the social and economic impacts are of particular importance there.”

"California Dryness and Recovery Challenge Multi-Century Odds" https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/california-dryness-and-recovery-challenge-multi-century-odds

Just shy of 90F today in parts of SoCal [always interesting that the warmest afternoons can be where there were the coldest mornings]

WOODLAND HILLS : 88 / 41 / 0.00
LAKE ELSINORE : 89 / 41 / 0.00 /
RAMONA AIRPORT : 88 / 32 / 0.00 /

My dog took some rests in the shade today for my afternoon walk. We are off between Christmas and New Year's. Shorts and sandals weather is great in December, especially when the rest of the country is freezing.

Yes, I know we need the rain and I do get worried about the record dryness and high fire danger, but let it rain while I'm at work or during the night. I really do hope we get some significant rain soon.

I've been reading complaints about how foul the air is near the coast [ie. Long Beach] lately. Weak offshore winds are likely responsible. This photo of the sunset in Oceanside yesterday indicates high pollutant levels but makes for a beautiful sky nonetheless.

84/ 57  

post-226-0-28889600-1514514299_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't understand how it can be so warm and yet so wet in January, if CPC is correct.

Yeah, that temperature outlook screams ridge city as opposed to a stormier pattern that is being depicted in the precip portion of the outlook. I would think the predicted temperatures would be closer to normal as opposed to torch category.

They are being very cautious, as they should be, in a very stingy season like this season has been.

It is discouraging that the models flip and flop from run to run but at least the trend is for rain eventually reaching SoCal in January. I voted for rain in the 2nd week of Jan in Eujuanga's poll for whatever that is worth. :blink:  

When I moved into this location I planted palm trees native to Cuba and fragrant tropical flowers. This has been a very warm year starting in March but similar to the past several years.

post-226-0-65886100-1514655488_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-34618300-1514655489_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-11536100-1514655490_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When I moved into this location I planted palm trees native to Cuba and fragrant tropical flowers. This has been a very warm year starting in March but similar to the past several years.

You have a lot of nice plants in your yard! I really enjoy tropical plants and tropical-themed landscapes. On the top photo, I see what appears to be a banana tree, with a dracaena next to or behind it along with several palms, and a healthy hibiscus in bloom in the bottom photo.

After you click the quote button to reply and the screen where you’re about to type appears with the post your quoting, select all in the box where you’d begin to type, then copy it. Then go to whatever place you want to quote that person (in a different thread) and paste it in the reply box where you’d normally type a reply to a thread. Once it’s pasted, type your reply out or whatever and your done.

Testing quoting a user in one thread and posting the reply in another.

You have a lot of nice plants in your yard! I really enjoy tropical plants and tropical-themed landscapes. On the top photo, I see what appears to be a banana tree, with a dracaena next to or behind it along with several palms, and a healthy hibiscus in bloom in the bottom photo.

Thanks Dan. You've identified some of the lower trees under Cuban Royal, foxtail, fishtail, pacaya palms, etc. I was active in a palm growers association but stick with trees that look good given the limitations of our climate. For example, coconut palms don't thrive/ produce here due to low humidity/ cool nights. The map of where freezing temps have yet to occur this year illustrates why palms are so popular here. Snowfall in south Texas and below freezing minimums along the Gulf Coast/ northern Florida would kill the palms in my yard. It can happen and did in 1949.

Photos were taken today and earlier in the week

post-226-0-81183400-1514700913_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-28768100-1514700915_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-95420500-1514700915_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Dan. You've identified some of the lower trees under Cuban Royal, foxtail, fishtail, pacaya palms, etc. I was active in a palm growers association but stick with trees that look good given the limitations of our climate. For example, coconut palms don't thrive/ produce here due to low humidity/ cool nights. The map of where freezing temps have yet to occur this year illustrates why palms are so popular here. Snowfall in south Texas and below freezing minimums along the Gulf Coast/ northern Florida would kill the palms in my yard. It can happen and did in 1949.

Photos were taken today and earlier in the week

It is amazing how many tropical looking plants that can grow in almost frost free locales of coastal Socal. Like you said, some tropicals don't grow well outdoors here due to cold nights and/or low humidity and besides the palms you mentioned, this category would include many orchid species, Anthuriums, and Crotons. However, spider plants, many dracaenas, Cordylines, and even Spathiphyllums and pothos will grow well outdoors in a patio environment.

Despite the cold snap in January 2007, I don't recall losing any tropical plants in my yard, because I think my area actually remained above freezing due to being on the top of a slight slope on one side and a drop on the other.

It is amazing how many tropical looking plants that can grow in almost frost free locales of coastal Socal. Like you said, some tropicals don't grow well outdoors here due to cold nights and/or low humidity and besides the palms you mentioned, this category would include many orchid species, Anthuriums, and Crotons. However, spider plants, many dracaenas, Cordylines, and even Spathiphyllums and pothos will grow well outdoors in a patio environment.

Despite the cold snap in January 2007, I don't recall losing any tropical plants in my yard, because I think my area actually remained above freezing due to being on the top of a slight slope on one side and a drop on the other.

If you create an overstory canopy many tropicals will do fine even in areas that occasionally get frost. But long periods of wet soil during winter can cause damage. 

It is a cooler day today, but tomorrow should be slightly warmer and it will be 2018. Driest water year on record is becoming more and more possible.

I miss the Jib Jab Year in Review videos. No matter what happened during the year, they would make them funny. Any other Year in Review videos on YouTube are depressing.

It is tough to end the year like this; the least amount of rain from July to Dec. many areas have ever recorded locally. Additionally, anomalous warmth may be record breaking [certainly well above anything I have observed here going back to 1995].

DEC 2017

Aver Max: 74.9/ Norm: 68

Aver Min: 54.9/ Norm: 51

Mean: 64.9

MaxHi/Lo: 87/ 61

MinHi/Lo: 64/ 46

Heating Degree Days: 69

Cooling Degree Days: 76

Rain: 0.00

Total [jul-jun]: 0.22

• Like 1

It is tough to end the year like this; the least amount of rain from July to Dec. many areas have ever recorded locally. Additionally, anomalous warmth may be record breaking [certainly well above anything I have observed here going back to 1995].

DEC 2017

Aver Max: 74.9/ Norm: 68

Aver Min: 54.9/ Norm: 51

Mean: 64.9

MaxHi/Lo: 87/ 61

MinHi/Lo: 64/ 46

Heating Degree Days: 69

Cooling Degree Days: 76

Rain: 0.00

Total [jul-jun]: 0.22

You have summed it up quite well. The low in the upper 80's I experienced in late October during a particularly warm Santa Ana wind event is the highest low temperature I have ever seen for my area here in Orange, and that beats out any low set on a hot muggy August night or a night during a brutal September heatwave.

You have summed it up quite well. The low in the upper 80's I experienced in late October during a particularly warm Santa Ana wind event is the highest low temperature I have ever seen for my area here in Orange, and that beats out any low set on a hot muggy August night or a night during a brutal September heatwave.

I truly am wondering if California is cursed but then I look at the positive departures in places like Alaska/ Arctic and soberly realize the extent of global warming. Looking back 4-5 years you see examples of extremely high temperatures occurring in winter/ spring: Jan 2014 average max: 76.3°, March 2015 aver max : 81.0, Feb 2016: 79.5°. Very warm and humid summers. And with the exception of last year's rain total, every year has experienced well below or barely normal rainfall since 2011. 

This winter's Baja ridge hasn't allowed any kind of moisture though some areas lucked out on monsoon showers [ie. Palm Springs] last summer. Pacific NW is relatively dry also but w/ at least intrusions of modified arctic air on occasion. I don't want extreme cold only because California agriculture is so important but it would be nice for some sub 40° minimums. Last minimums in the 30's were in Jan 2013 [3 nights in a row].

• Like 1