Volcano Reports

A layer of ash almost 8 inches thick in some areas covered parts of Russia’s Kamchatka Peninsula on Wednesday, April 12, as the Shiveluch volcano continued erupting, a regional official said.
The volcano continues to erupt as of today.  
Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Tokyo warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 33000 ft (10100 m) altitude or flight level 330 and is moving at 30 kts in NE direction.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• Tom pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Philippines raised the alert level at the popular Mayon volcano by a notch on Thursday, after detecting volcanic earthquakes and hundreds of rockfall events.

The 2,462-metre (8,077-foot) volcano in central Albay province - a draw for tourists because of its near-perfect conical shape - "is exhibiting magmatic eruption," the state volcanology agency said in a statement.

At "alert level 3" on a scale of 5, Mayon has increased chances of lava flows and a potential for explosive activity within weeks or even days, it added.

The agency had elevated Mayon to "alert level 2" on June 5.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

• 3 months later...

The USGS is monitoring Hawaii’s Kilauea Volcano after one of the most active volcanoes in the worldbegan to erupt for the third time this year on Sunday.

According to the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory(HVO), Kilauea’s eruption began around 3:15 p.m. HST Sunday after increased earthquake activity and changes in ground deformation patterns at Kilauea’s summit began to occur.

C3DABC84-7949-4326-8D69-5D186840267F.jpeg

• 1 month later...

There appears to be concerns with Campi Flegrei volcano near Naples, Italy. I'm more familiar with Vesuvius (literally thought it was the same volcano), so I've read about it in the last month. It had a big eruption in 1538, now with swarms of quakes hitting the area in the last few weeks. Seems this one has done bigger eruptions than 79 AD but there's always a chance they do smaller ones.

• scream 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

You’re correct. Flegrei is a very dangerous caldera in a heavily populated area.  
Should it erupt it would decimate the region and likely change our climate for a while.  Think Krakatoa and the year without a summer.  Loss of life and important culture would be immeasurable not to mention the regions economy ruined for a very long time. Depending of the magnitude it could rival Vesuvius or exceed  

Let’s hope it goes back to sleep   

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/05/italy-supervolcano-campi-flegrei-naples-earthquakes-evacuation-plans

Italy’s Super Volcano Creates 2500 tremors a day.  Everyone is on edge.   

I’m sure many thoughts turn to Pompey’s experience of multiple tremors before the Volcano unleashed its eruption and entombed them and their city. 

This could get very ugly.  Very quick. 

https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/italys-rumbling-supervolcano-has-half-a-million-residents-on-edge-6a1472af

82E64C18-86CF-4C47-AF3B-FA6DE049F72B.jpeg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/italy-s-rumbling-supervolcano-has-half-a-million-residents-on-edge/ar-AA1jflLJ

B333CA88-4800-4911-B432-E5A609A3EF22.jpeg

An eruption in Campi Flegrei isn’t imminent, but earthquakes have weakened the volcano, making a rupture in the crust more likely, according to a recent study by researchers at Italy’s national institute and University College London.

• 3 months later...

Popocatepetyl has been erupting since 1994 but this week the volcano blasted the area with a large eruption.   
The volcano sits SE of Mexico City and could spread ash over the city.  Flight warnings have been issued  

2 videos

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/mexico-volcanic-eruption-city-latest

• 1 month later...

Latest on Erupting Volcanos

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html#google_vignette

30 erupting. 20 at unrest. 

Mount Etna, Europe’s largest active volcano, is delighting tourists and locals by blowing almost perfect circles of smoke into the blue skies over Sicily.

The smoke circles, known as volcanic vortex rings, are actually made of condensed gases and water vapour. They form when gases rise up from deep below the earth and escape inside the crater of a volcano.

IMG_0090.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Indonesia is under a Tsunami alert as a collapse potential of Mt Ruang is high. 

IMG_0114.jpeg

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2024/04/17/indonesia-volcano-eruption-ruang/

Paywall, but WP says ash got up to 70k feet. That would probably impact the climate a bit the next 1-3 years. Maybe counteract the warming from the other volcano.

• bongocat-test 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Just for grins, did you know volcanoes can blow gold into the air? Mt Erebus is one  

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13117853-300-science-antarctic-gold-dust/

• 4 weeks later...

Not known for its activity, Ibu woke up.  More cooling ash into the atmosphere.  

IBU VOLCANO

Stratovolcano 1325 m / 4,347 ft
Halmahera, Indonesia, 1.48°N / 127.64°E
Current status: erupting (4 out of 5)

Last update: 13 May 2024 (Volcanic Ash Advisory)

IMG_0154.jpeg

Current global activity.  

IMG_0155.jpeg