Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

weather station indoor

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

seattleweatherguy

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

seattleweatherguy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts
  • LocationBothell

Anyways I am wanting to get an indoor weather station that is accurate to my house vs a station on an app. I know Amazon, Costco and home depot sell some stations.

As for what I need on it, well as much as possible I guess. Accurate outdoor temps for sure, maybe wind speed, humidity, maybe indoor temp and others. 

Any one point to one I can get that is durable and good?

Help would be appreciated.

snow_wizard

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:31 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13673 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

I recommend a wired station.  It's much more fun watching the wind speed on a wired station because the wireless ones only update every two seconds or whatever it is.  Peet Brothers has affordable stations that are pretty good.

• Eujunga likes this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2017-18 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.7"

Coldest Low = 19

Lows 32 or below = 51

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 21

Eujunga

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

Eujunga

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Wireless stations are a lot more versatile about placement of both the sensor suite and the console, but snow-wiz is absolutely correct that you sacrifice accurate peak wind gust measurements.  I like everything about my (two) Davis Vantage PRO 2 wireless units except for two things:  1) the wind speed issue; 2) the fact that the rain gauge and outdoor temperature sensors cannot be separated.  Makes it difficult when you have a site with a lot of trees -- you can mount the unit at the correct 5.5' off the ground to get accurate temperatures, but you won't get useful rain measurements.  Or, you can mount the unit above the trees to get accurate rainfall readings, but the temperature readings won't reflect what it's like near ground level.

Tujunga, CA (15 miles N of Downtown L.A.) - Elev. 1,860 ft.

Eugene, OR (5 miles SSW) - Elev. 850 ft.

snow_wizard

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13673 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Wireless stations are a lot more versatile about placement of both the sensor suite and the console, but snow-wiz is absolutely correct that you sacrifice accurate peak wind gust measurements.  I like everything about my (two) Davis Vantage PRO 2 wireless units except for two things:  1) the wind speed issue; 2) the fact that the rain gauge and outdoor temperature sensors cannot be separated.  Makes it difficult when you have a site with a lot of trees -- you can mount the unit at the correct 5.5' off the ground to get accurate temperatures, but you won't get useful rain measurements.  Or, you can mount the unit above the trees to get accurate rainfall readings, but the temperature readings won't reflect what it's like near ground level.

Wow.  That would suck to have the rain gauge and thermometer sensors in the same unit.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2017-18 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.7"

Coldest Low = 19

Lows 32 or below = 51

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 21

seattleweatherguy

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:09 AM

seattleweatherguy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts
  • LocationBothell

I recommend a wired station. It's much more fun watching the wind speed on a wired station because the wireless ones only update every two seconds or whatever it is. Peet Brothers has affordable stations that are pretty good.

Does a wired station go on top of your roof?

Eujunga

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Eujunga

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

It can.  In urban areas, rooftops usually have the least obstructions to accurate rainfall and wind speed measurements.

Here is a cabled Davis unit from Ambient Weather with a 100-foot cable.  Don't know if it's in your price range, but Davis products are pretty sturdy and durable.

https://www.ambientw...cavaprowis.html

Tujunga, CA (15 miles N of Downtown L.A.) - Elev. 1,860 ft.

Eugene, OR (5 miles SSW) - Elev. 850 ft.

seattleweatherguy

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

seattleweatherguy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts
  • LocationBothell
Got it thanks will look into these options

snow_wizard

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:15 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13673 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Mine does.  The wires are like 60 feet long.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2017-18 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.7"

Coldest Low = 19

Lows 32 or below = 51

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 21

snow_wizard

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13673 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Another option is to look on eBay for a really good wired station.  Something like a Maximum or Downeaster.  A lot of times people put them on there barely used.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2017-18 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.7"

Coldest Low = 19

Lows 32 or below = 51

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 21