SAN GABRIEL : 100

SANTA ANA : 100

YORBA LINDA :  100 

FULLERTON :  102

ESCONDIDO  :  101

SAN PASQUAL :  100 

EL CAJON  :  100 

99 / 66

It got up to 97.1 here at my house in Orange, and the three closest stations to me you mentioned are Fullerton, Santa Ana, and Yorba Linda. It is currently 75 as of 9:20 p.m.

Would now be a bad time to say my high was 66 today and it's down to 53 right now. Virtually no winds today and only light winds yesterday morning into afternoon with greatest gusts around 10mph.

Sounds great; those would be winter temps down here.  I am truly hoping that this is the last heat wave for a long time but notice the Climate Prediction Center keeps heat in the forecast into 6 to 14 day period; thankfully CPC accuracy is inconsistent. 

I used to video tape Pop Warner games several years ago and remember parents complaining bitterly about heat waves in October.  By this time of the year most people have become very weary and fed up with hot weather.

• Like 1

I worked in Rancho Cucamonga for 5 years. Becoming weary of the weather is an understatement - dealing with up to 100's in October and even 90's in November was just unbearable.

I'm not a heat person....at all.

This entire summer we didn't have any very low humidity days but this morning it was 8% RH and -5F DP. No strong winds despite the wind advisory yesterday....georgeous today at 71F a bit warmer in lake Arrowhead and definitely had that 'Indian summer' feel.

Sounds great; those would be winter temps down here.  I am truly hoping that this is the last heat wave for a long time but notice the Climate Prediction Center keeps heat in the forecast into 6 to 14 day period; thankfully CPC accuracy is inconsistent. 

I used to video tape Pop Warner games several years ago and remember parents complaining bitterly about heat waves in October.  By this time of the year most people have become very weary and fed up with hot weather.

I am really hoping this is the last heat wave for a while, too, because I have several outdoor projects that I want to work on this fall and this heat keeps getting in the way. It has been a very warm year and I think we have exceeded our quota of heat for the entire year!

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=lox

"Southeasterly swell from Hurricane Simon will begin to move into the coastal waters late tonight. This hurricane swell will combine with the lingering long-period Southern Hemisphere swell to produce high surf conditions along south and southeast-facing beaches of southern Santa Barbara, Ventura and Los Angeles counties. For these areas, surf heights between 5 and 8 feet can be expected Monday and Tuesday along with dangerous rip currents and possible minor coastal flooding during high tides".

Hopefully Simon will produce some showers in the Southwest later in the week.

100 / 69

Hot but not as hot as it has been over the past several days.  The cirrus shield of Hurricane Simon off to the south; rainfall looks unlikely except in southern most areas of California.

95 / 68  

I would be surprised but here they added 30% showers today and 20% tomorrow.

NWS_SD has reported some rainfall at high elevations this morning [Mt Laguna] but the extremely dry air is evaporating the moisture for low elevations.  Now NWS_LA has also added rainfall chances for tonight/ tomorrow in mountain areas.  October can be the real first month of the rain season especially in northern California; hope we can score some down here whether it originates in the northern latitudes or tropics.

I was in Telluride, CO on a road trip a few days ago and they had just started making snow (or perhaps were just testing out the equipment).  It was a shock to go from the sub-freezing temperatures there to the continued 100-degree-plus weather here in SoCal!

attachicon.gif2014UT-COweb068.jpg

I bet it was a shock because that it is quite a temperature swing you experienced! Socal is definitely due for a cool down very soon, as this summer-like warmth can't possibly sustain itself for that much longer since the nights are getting longer and the sun angle is getting lower in the sky as we get closer to the Winter Solstice. Of course we are going to face a few hot days over the next month or two when a very warm Santa Ana wind pattern develops at some point in time, but it is time for this extended summer to come to an end.

Great temps today.  Looks like a minor warmup this weekend followed by a trough next week.  Rainfall can't be too far off [i hope].

82 / 67

It definitely was cooler today than it has been in quite some time. After this mini hot spell this weekend, I think we may finally be done with the endless hot summer pattern that has been entrenched for so long, as a more typical fall pattern takes hold. Hopefully that will mean some rain down the road, but of course that also means that the Santa Ana winds are likely not too far away either.

Much nicer stretch of weather than what was forecast thanks to a strong marine inversion.  I am still waiting for the first below 60°minimum since early June.  Unusually warm October ocean temps [70-74°] a likely factor. 

Another front working south across California this week but probably washing out around San Francisco.  Aside from very infrequent light showers/ weak monsoonal activity [0.20 or less], it hasn't rained since Feb 27-Mar 2 when the only appreciable storm occurred this year [around 4 inches].

82 / 67 

Preliminary rain amounts are basically limited to the North Coast w/ up to an inch in the mountains but most locations were under 0.50.  Heavy rain is being reported in Crescent City @ 11PM and some showers should spread over the Sacramento Valley/ northern Sierra tonight.  Glad so see troughs forecast into early next week for California; maybe we can score some rain down here as well. 

79 / 63

Delightful stretch of weather this week that should continue into next week also.  Cooler than normal w/ stratocumulus and steady westerly wind.  This morning most valley areas dropped into the 50's.

77 / 61

Delightful stretch of weather this week that should continue into next week also.  Cooler than normal w/ stratocumulus and steady westerly wind.  This morning most valley areas dropped into the 50's.

77 / 61

It has been very nice lately and I have been working on projects in the yard the last few days and will continue to do so into next week. It appears that it is going to get warm later next week and I hope it doesn't stay hot very long.

Local TV weathercasters commented on the valleys dropping into the 50's this morning.  Otherwise the weather is boring but comfortable.  It can be depressing watching all the weather events [hurricanes, rainfall] over the rest of the country while all we can get excited about is a minimum below 60° 

Saturday: 80 / 60

Today: 61°

The good news is that there is no bad news. High pressure pushed temps into the low 90's inland but the lack of wind has meant no fires. The fires in northern California are out since weak systems have been bringing light rain over the past 2 weeks and the pattern of troughs appears established.

90 / 63

I hate to say this, but we are overdue for a Santa Ana event to get fall kicked into high gear. It feels that here in Socal that we are still in the first stages of transitioning into fall, which feature gradual cooling from the heat waves of September before the first storm system of the fall from the north with a bit of rain or the first dry inside slider in which the first significant Santa Ana follows suit. In other words, it feels to me that we are still in the first or second week of October, rather than the fourth. We did have a bit of a Santa Ana breeze early in the month, but the pattern reverted back to a hot and somewhat humid regime for a little while before it cooled off a couple of weeks ago which appears to be the true transition into an early fall pattern.

I hate to say this, but we are overdue for a Santa Ana event to get fall kicked into high gear. It feels that here in Socal that we are still in the first stages of transitioning into fall, which feature gradual cooling from the heat waves of September before the first storm system of the fall from the north with a bit of rain or the first dry inside slider in which the first significant Santa Ana follows suit. In other words, it feels to me that we are still in the first or second week of October, rather than the fourth. We did have a bit of a Santa Ana breeze early in the month, but the pattern reverted back to a hot and somewhat humid regime for a little while before it cooled off a couple of weeks ago which appears to be the true transition into an early fall pattern.[/size]

Actually the "fire season" for SoCal kicks into high gear during the Fall months when santa ana winds prevail but it is great that the moisture, though limited, in Northern California has greatly helped w/ no fires over the past several weeks. I've also noticed how temps, especially minimums, have stayed warm this month perhaps due to warm SST [74F] that make the nights a bit humid.

Some models are forecasting rain for SoCal around Halloween.

Actually the "fire season" for SoCal kicks into high gear during the Fall months when santa ana winds prevail but it is great that the moisture, though limited, in Northern California has greatly helped w/ no fires over the past several weeks. I've also noticed how temps, especially minimums, have stayed warm this month perhaps due to warm SST [74F] that make the nights a bit humid.

Some models are forecasting rain for SoCal around Halloween.

I hope that we do get a good storm before the Santa Ana winds come up, as that will help out with the fire danger initially.

The mild temps at night is one of the main things that is making it feel as if it is earlier in the month as opposed to later.

Radar shows the weakening front moving south of Monterey w/ scattered showers from around Salinas northward into the Sacramento Valley where wind gusts over 40mph in Red Bluff/ Redding.  Possibility of a thunderstorm during World Series this afternoon.

Just some scattered clouds in LA and though cooler than yesterday it appears it won't be as cool as guidance suggested per the trend all month.

Friday: 90 / 67

Today lo: 64

Some RAWS in coastal mountains of Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino counties picked up 3 inches yesterday & up to an inch in the Santa Cruz/ Santa Lucia [big Sur] mountains.  Halloween's system looks very promising over the same area.  If SoCal can't score rain yet at least the northern half of the state is getting much appreciated moisture.

Saturday: 84 / 64

Today Lo: 61

Another kelvin wave is crossing the Pacific and a westerly wind burst is forecast around 110 W.  Maybe you'll finally get some rain this winter.

We wait and watch down here in normal years but especially during this extended drought.  It is ironic that most people don't pay any attention to the weather but rain is discussed quite a bit in California; something to celebrate.  I am encouraged that the next trough is forecast to move even further south so we may actually end the month with some rain.

80 / 60

Anyone here going to be spending some time in Tahoe this year?

Lake Tahoe is about an 8 hour drive [over 400 miles] from Los Angeles.  Mammoth Mt [11,000'] at half that distance is expecting snow this coming weekend.  

The cold front and secondary wave this weekend could produce some fairly significant showers for Central California northward.  It may not rain in SoCal but the temps will drop nicely.

84 / 60