California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

It doesn't cool off very fast in the foothills; several stations had minimums in the 70's this morning.

Is that always the case in the foothills this time of year during a warm dry pattern, or is it only when the Santa Ana winds are blowing? Even a warm Santa Ana breeze in my area can keep the nighttime temperatures elevated if it continues all night.

It doesn't cool off very fast in the foothills; several stations had minimums in the 70's this morning.

Depends on where you are I guess.  Corona got down to 59.9 on the 5th and and 39.9 on the 6th.  Now I haven't lived down there for a year, but I would expect in the strong Santa Ana area's you would get mixed out and no inversion to cool things down.  Rather you should get warmer than average temps, but this is me just speculating.

And as I write this, Dan says about the same thing.  The interesting thing is when you get a cold Santa Ana.

Is that always the case in the foothills this time of year during a warm dry pattern, or is it only when the Santa Ana winds are blowing? Even a warm Santa Ana breeze in my area can keep the nighttime temperatures elevated if it continues all night.

Often it is a light flow of offshore winds that is generally less than what is observed in parts of the San Fernando Valley/ Santa Monica mountains.  There is a noctural drainage of air out of the San Gabriel Valley into the LA Basin fairly often during fall into winter.  The foothills south/ southwest of Pasadena all the way down to Whittier have east/ west canyons that funnel the air flow. The Hollywood Hills/ Beverly HIlls/ UCLA sit downwind also and between San Fernando Valley and Malibu night winds can get pretty strong.  For example it was only 72 in Malibu Hills this morning but 43 in Malibu Canyon because of the santa ana winds or calm air.  

In addition there is good mixing and drainage from hilltop ridges down to lower canyons so mimimums are often the warmest in these "banana belts".  The last time I experienced frost was in Decenber 1990 when I was living halfway down the canyon but people up here where I now live claim they have never seen frost.

Depends on where you are I guess.  Corona got down to 59.9 on the 5th and and 39.9 on the 6th.  Now I haven't lived down there for a year, but I would expect in the strong Santa Ana area's you would get mixed out and no inversion to cool things down.  Rather you should get warmer than average temps, but this is me just speculating.

And as I write this, Dan says about the same thing.  The interesting thing is when you get a cold Santa Ana.

Corona sits in a basin along the Santa Ana River and can record some of the coldest readings in metro Los Angeles. 

• Like 1

Corona sits in a basin along the Santa Ana River and can record some of the coldest readings in metro Los Angeles. 

Yep very true.  That said, Corona can get some strong Santa Ana's (But not as strong as say Ontario) that will keep it mixed out fairly well and as such I would expect to see lower temps in places like Temecula and Glendale, or places that wont feel the main brunt of the winds.

• Like 1

Yep very true.  That said, Corona can get some strong Santa Ana's (But not as strong as say Ontario) that will keep it mixed out fairly well and as such I would expect to see lower temps in places like Temecula and Glendale, or places that wont feel the main brunt of the winds.

Good point.  Santa Ana winds can pommel Riverside and when the direction is favorable effect Corona/ Chino.  In-fact Riverside had minimums in the 70's recently. 

Data as of 4:30AM:

ONTARIO  :   90 /  58 

CHINO : 91 /  50 

RANCHO CUCAMONGA :   87 /  63 

CORONA :  91 /  43

Some beach areas also are effected by santa anas even if not near mountains. 

SAN DIEGO  :   87 /  59 [no wind]

CABRILLO NATL MNMT  :   91 /  68 [out on Pt Loma]

Good point.  Santa Ana winds can pommel Riverside and when the direction is favorable effect Corona/ Chino.  In-fact Riverside had minimums in the 70's recently. 

Where is that station at in Rancho?  That 87 number seems low, but I never did venture more west than Victoria Gardens.

Often it is a light flow of offshore winds that is generally less than what is observed in parts of the San Fernando Valley/ Santa Monica mountains.  There is a noctural drainage of air out of the San Gabriel Valley into the LA Basin fairly often during fall into winter.  The foothills south/ southwest of Pasadena all the way down to Whittier have east/ west canyons that funnel the air flow. The Hollywood Hills/ Beverly HIlls/ UCLA sit downwind also and between San Fernando Valley and Malibu night winds can get pretty strong.  For example it was only 72 in Malibu Hills this morning but 43 in Malibu Canyon because of the santa ana winds or calm air.  

In addition there is good mixing and drainage from hilltop ridges down to lower canyons so mimimums are often the warmest in these "banana belts".  The last time I experienced frost was in Decenber 1990 when I was living halfway down the canyon but people up here where I now live claim they have never seen frost.

The downsloping probably adds to the warmth as well, as the air descends from a higher location to a lower elevation location.

My area here in Orange is downwind of the Santa Ana Canyon and Santa Ana Mountains and is prone to strong Santa Anas that blow through that canyon and other smaller canyons in the area. The wind I believe also descends through the Santa Ana Mountains and picks up speed by doing so. Oftentimes the winds are localized in that they blow in my area and points eastward, but don't extend very far to the west. For example they can be blowing here at my house, but may be completely calm around Disneyland, about 6 miles to the west.

It's pretty amazing - if the wind doesn't calm over night I've seen Corona record colder temps than here at 6250' and by up to ten degrees!!

65f currently, 53 at midnight, 49 at 6am dropping quickly to 45 by 7am. This is ridiculously warm for November when we can easily record below freezing high temps - in fact Nov 11 the average temp for the month was 31! The month was riddled with very cold inside sliders dropping little snow but left the wind and cold behind.

Admittedly this current weather is enjoyable - for summer!!!!

We need to get into a colder pattern pretty soon. It is getting to the point that it is too warm for this time of year, and this pattern has been WAY too persistent the last 2-3 years.

Ok im cheating here because we just talked about this in weather discussion on wednesday, but I'd be looking for an El Nino pattern to setup here in the next couple of months.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

Based on Nino 3.4 being at +0.6 (0.5 being the threshold for El Nino).  This is still weak, but we do have another Kelvin wave setting up in the 3.4 area and a slight western wind anomaly is starting (key word) to show up in the 3.4 area.  Overall, NCEP is saying at most 65% chance with the highest percentages.  All of that said, I have no idea how Nuri is going to affect the setup though.  Funny how 1 major storm and the resulting omega block can disrupt so much.

• Like 1

Ok im cheating here because we just talked about this in weather discussion on wednesday, but I'd be looking for an El Nino pattern to setup here in the next couple of months.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

Based on Nino 3.4 being at +0.6 (0.5 being the threshold for El Nino).  This is still weak, but we do have another Kelvin wave setting up in the 3.4 area and a slight western wind anomaly is starting (key word) to show up in the 3.4 area.  Overall, NCEP is saying at most 65% chance with the highest percentages.  All of that said, I have no idea how Nuri is going to affect the setup though.  Funny how 1 major storm and the resulting omega block can disrupt so much.

Its ok, you can use my discussions lol

We both go to the University of Utah in case anybody else is curious.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Great example of inversion:

9:00AM

L.A. DOWNTOWN  SUNNY     63  57  81 CALM      29.96S HAZE            
L.A. AIRPORT   MOSUNNY   63  60  90 CALM      29.97S FOG             
LONG BEACH     CLOUDY    61  60  97 N3        29.96S FOG             

GETTY CENTER    N/A     70  41  35 E2               
LEO CARRILLO    N/A     69  61  76 E3          N/A                  
LOS ALAMITOS  FOG       59  59 100 CALM      29.96F VSB 1/2         
UCLA            N/A     68  55  64 S2        29.93F                 

BURBANK        SUNNY     69  37  30 CALM      29.96F                 
CHATSWORTH      N/A     73  42  32 CALM      29.93F                 

SAN RAFAEL HI   N/A     84  36  18 CALM        N/A                  
SAUGUS          N/A     78  30  17 CALM        N/A                  

WHITTIER HILL   N/A     77  55  45 CALM        N/A                  
WOODLAND HILL   N/A     72  39  30 N1          N/A

Burbank dropped to 37?  Isn't that kind of cold for them?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Burbank dropped to 37?  Isn't that kind of cold for them?

As Jesse pointed out that's dew point. Its a current reading as opposed to some kind of daily thing.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

These were 9AM conditions in the LA area.  First number is temperature; 2nd dewpoint temp; 3rd is relative humidity

Freeze warning for parts of far nothern California.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEDFORD OR158 PM PST MON NOV 10 2014...FREEZING TEMPERATURES TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING....A COLDER AND DRIER AIR MASS WILL PUSH IN FROM THE NORTHEASTTONIGHT INTO TUESDAY. THIS WILL BRING THE COLDEST TEMPERATURESOBSERVED THUS FAR THIS SEASON TO MANY LOCATIONS. THESETEMPERATURES WILL BE COLD ENOUGH TO BRING THE FIRST FROST ANDFREEZE OF THE SEASON TO MANY LOCATIONS WEST OF THE CASCADES.CAZ080-081-110600-/O.CON.KMFR.FZ.W.0017.141111T0800Z-141111T1600Z/WESTERN SISKIYOU COUNTY-CENTRAL SISKIYOU COUNTY-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ETNA...FORT JONES...GREENVIEW...YREKA...WEED158 PM PST MON NOV 10 2014...FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AMPST TUESDAY...A FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AMPST TUESDAY.* MINIMUM TEMPERATURES: MID 20S TO LOWER 30S.* TEMPERATURE INVERSION: AN INVERSION WILL BE PRESENT AND  EXTEND FROM THE SURFACE TO AROUND 2000 FT AGL.* TIMING: A WIDESPREAD KILLING FREEZE IS LIKELY ON TUESDAY  MORNING. THESE FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL BE 3 TO 4 WEEKS  LATER THAN NORMAL.* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: ETNA...FORT JONES...GREENVIEW...YREKA...  WEED...MONTAGUE...GRENADA.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT ORHIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHERSENSITIVE VEGETATION.&&$$
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEDFORD OR158 PM PST MON NOV 10 2014...FREEZING TEMPERATURES TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING....A COLDER AND DRIER AIR MASS WILL PUSH IN FROM THE NORTHEASTTONIGHT INTO TUESDAY. THIS WILL BRING THE COLDEST TEMPERATURESOBSERVED THUS FAR THIS SEASON TO MANY LOCATIONS. THESETEMPERATURES WILL BE COLD ENOUGH TO BRING THE FIRST FROST ANDFREEZE OF THE SEASON TO MANY LOCATIONS WEST OF THE CASCADES.CAZ082-110600-/O.CAN.KMFR.FR.Y.0018.141111T0800Z-141111T1600Z//O.CON.KMFR.FZ.W.0017.141111T0800Z-141111T1600Z/SOUTH CENTRAL SISKIYOU COUNTY-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MOUNT SHASTA...DUNSMUIR...MCCLOUD158 PM PST MON NOV 10 2014...FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AMPST TUESDAY......FROST ADVISORY IS CANCELLED...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MEDFORD HAS CANCELLED THE FROSTADVISORY. A FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHTTONIGHT TO 8 AM PST TUESDAY.* MINIMUM TEMPERATURES: MID TO UPPER 20S.* TEMPERATURE INVERSION: AN INVERSION WILL BE PRESENT AND  EXTEND FROM THE SURFACE TO AROUND 2000 FT AGL.* TIMING: A WIDESPREAD KILLING FREEZE IS LIKELY ON TUESDAY  MORNING...WHILE FROST IS LIKELY IN AREAS THAT DO NOT  EXPERIENCE FREEZING TEMPERATURES. THESE FREEZING  TEMPERATURES WILL BE 3 TO 4 WEEKS LATER THAN NORMAL.* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: MOUNT SHASTA...DUNSMUIR...MCCLOUD.

Nice cool cloudy conditions thanks to stratocumulus and onshore wind.

68 / 62

Definitely a nice change from what we have been seeing, and is more typical temperature-wise for this time of year. I am looking forward to the possibility of rain next week and hopefully it verifies. If we miss out on the first storm, at least Norcal will get some some much-needed precip.

Definitely a nice change from what we have been seeing, and is more typical temperature-wise for this time of year. I am looking forward to the possibility of rain next week and hopefully it verifies. If we miss out on the first storm, at least Norcal will get some some much-needed precip.

Maximum temps are much more seasonable this week but minimums remain too warm.  Overnight clouds don't help but I think the warmer than normal SST [67-70°] are partly responsible.  I, too, am pleased that rain is falling in northern California w/ more on the way; hope we get in on some showers by next week.

70 / 61  

Maximum temps are much more seasonable this week but minimums remain too warm.  Overnight clouds don't help but I think the warmer than normal SST [67-70°] are partly responsible.  I, too, am pleased that rain is falling in northern California w/ more on the way; hope we get in on some showers by next week.

70 / 61

I'm looking at the next more solid, chance and window for precip. for you guys more south happ, being post the 21st.

— This with main colder air's being nearer to its full reach more south at that point. More fully south on the 24th. And with this, main cold also on the 22nd, being set to move through an extended period of slower pace east.

http://theweatherfor...ctions/?p=39320

---

I'm looking at the next more solid, chance and window for precip. for you guys more south happ, being post the 21st.

— This with main colder air's being nearer to its full reach more south at that point. More fully south on the 24th. And with this, main cold also on the 22nd, being set to move through an extended period of slower pace east.

I am looking forward to sustained cool weather w/ only sporadic ridging and deeper troughs for the next week or two.  There were reports of light precipitation down to San Luis Obispo/ Santa Barbara counties.  A check of rain totals across California shows relatively light amounts [under an inch] except in North Coast mountain stations where up to 1.50 inches were recorded in places.

70 / 55

Hopefully you are correct that it will rain around that time period. The models as of a couple of days ago were calling for rain in the area next week, but have backed off quite a bit over the last day or so. Sometimes these models forecast a pattern change too quickly, back off, and then forecast it again a week or so later, and then finally verifies. This could be the case this time as well and would line up with your forecast if it comes to pass.

-
.. If more remote Dan, I'm looking at the idea and potential for some "Atmosphere River" or "express" type delivery of precip; possibly making it as far south as where you and happ are. 

— Basic conjecture only. .Second of two ideas that I've brought up in the post accessible here following, attached to my thread initiation "Approaching Pattern Discussion". .http://theweatherfor...ussion/?p=41624

---

There were reports of rain [under 0.10] in Ventura, Oceanside, etc but nothing in my rain gage. A cold santa ana event should drop night temps well below freezing in the high desert/ Antelope Valley in a few days.

Friday: 74 / 61

lo: 59

partly cloudy: 69°

Check out some of these dew points [second #].  What I don't understand is how some areas are well below 0 dewpoint temps while other areas are well above 30 [san Rafael Hills: DP: 44]? 

1PM

BURBANK        SUNNY     74 -15   3 NE9       30.10F                 
VAN NUYS       SUNNY     70 -16   3 N21G37    30.12F                 

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
CORONA AIRPORT CLEAR     72 -12   3 NE18G25   30.14F                 
*CHATSWORTH      N/A     67   8  10 N12       30.12F                 
CHINO          MOSUNNY   72  -6   4 E16G24    30.14F                 
MARCH AFB      SUNNY     67  -3   6 NE9       30.15F                 
*NORTHRIDGE      N/A     68  -9   4 N12G28      N/A                  
ONTARIO        MOSUNNY   73  11   9 VRB5      30.12F                 
POMONA         SUNNY     68  37  32 CALM      30.15                  
RIVERSIDE      SUNNY     68  -7   5 N13G33    30.15F                 
SAN BERNARDINO MOSUNNY  N/A N/A N/A N14       30.15F                 
*SAN GABRIEL     N/A     72  34  25 CALM      30.07F                 
*SAN RAFAEL HI   N/A     76  44  31 E6          N/A                  
*SAUGUS          N/A     62  -6   6 NE17G39     N/A                  
*WHITEMAN AP   PTSUNNY   68  -9   4 N12G32    30.16F                 
*WHITTIER HILL   N/A     73  38  27 S2G20       N/A                  
*WOODLAND HILL   N/A     70   0   6 N10G17      N/A             

The wind were howling overnight until about 10am it pretty much stopped abruptly. During the winds DP was a steady ~22 and within 30 minutes it dropped to -23.

Dangerous conditions for fires.

So far today a spread of only 13 degrees at corona airport.  I was expecting cold highs today, but it will not happen.  Still waiting for that true 'cold' santa ana where the high gets only up to like 60.    Strongest gust was last night around midnight.  31mph.  Not bad, but definitely not the strongest i've ever seen.  The only concern is of course RH.  6% at AJO, but it did get up to 13 somehow.  Infact, wow that is a bizarre anomaly.  How does yoru temp drop 6 degrees in an hour while winds quiet slightly to 10mph, then the temp jumps another 6 in the next hour with almost the same winds.

Anyone got any good guesses for this?  I have no idea at the moment, I may come with something later.

Tabular Listing: November 16, 2014 - 11:42 through November 17, 2014 - 11:42 PST 

Tabular Listing: November 16, 2014 - 11:42 through November 17, 2014 - 11:42 PST 
Time(PST)	Temperature	Dew	Wet Bulb	Relative	Wind	Wind	Wind	Peak Wind	Peak Wind	Quality	Pressure	Sea level	Altimeter	1500 m	Weather	Visibility	Precipitation	Precipitation
Point	Temperature	Humidity	Speed	Gust	Direction	Speed	Direction	check		pressure		Pressure	conditions		1hr	6hr
° F	° F	° F	%	 mph	 mph		 mph	°		 in	 in	 in	in		 miles	 in	 in
10:56	72.9	0.1	47.0	6	10	21	ESE			OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
9:56	70.0	-1.8	45.4	6	14	17	ESE			OK	29.60	30.16	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		0.001
8:56	68.0	-4.9	44.2	5	10		ESE			OK	29.61	30.17	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00		
7:56	63.0	3.0	42.4	9	10		SE			OK	29.61	30.18	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00	0.001	
6:56	56.8	6.1	39.6	13	10		ESE			OK	29.61	30.18	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00		
5:56	63.0	-4.9	41.6	6	16	23	SE			OK	29.59	30.16	30.17	25.18	clear	10.00		
4:56	63.0	-6.0	41.5	6	14	18	ESE			OK	29.57	30.14	30.15	25.16	clear	10.00		
3:56	61.9	-4.0	41.2	7	13	22	SE			OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
2:56	61.9	-4.0	41.1	7	15	24	SE			OK	29.57	30.14	30.15	25.16	clear	10.00		
1:56	61.9	-6.0	41.0	6	16	23	SE			OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
0:56	59.9	-1.9	40.3	8	12	16	SE			OK	29.59	30.15	30.17	25.18	clear	10.00		
23:56	59.9	-4.9	40.0	7	8		SE			OK	29.60	30.16	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		
22:56	59.9	-4.9	40.1	7	6		SSE			OK	29.63	30.19	30.21	25.21	clear	10.00		
21:56	61.0	-8.0	40.4	6	12	17	ESE			OK	29.63	30.19	30.21	25.21	clear	10.00		
20:56	61.9	-9.9	40.7	5	12	20	SSE			OK	29.61	30.18	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00		
19:56	59.9	-6.0	40.0	6	9		SE			OK	29.60	30.17	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		
18:56	61.9	-6.9	40.9	6	8		ESE			OK	29.60	30.16	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		
17:56	63.9	-13.9	41.5	4	10	17	ENE			OK	29.58	30.15	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
16:56	64.9	-15.0	42.0	3	17	24	ENE			OK	29.56	30.12	30.14	25.15	clear	10.00		
15:56	68.9	-13.9	44.0	3	13	20	E			OK	29.55	30.11	30.13	25.14	clear	10.00		
14:56	72.0	-11.9	45.6	3	13		NE			OK	29.55	30.11	30.13	25.14	clear	10.00		
13:56	72.9	-11.9	46.1	3	17	25	ENE	32	NE	OK	29.55	30.11	30.13	25.14	clear	10.00		
12:56	72.0	-11.9	45.6	3	18	25	ENE	32	ENE	OK	29.56	30.12	30.14	25.15	clear	10.00		
11:56	70.9	-13.0	45.1	3	23	31	ENE	43	ENE	OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
10:56	66.9	-13.9	43.1	3	25	46	ENE	46	NE	OK	29.60	30.17	30.18	25.19	haze	6.00	

I am not clear how wind effects dew points other than transporting super dry air over the mountains.  It can be windy or calm when lowest dewpoints are recorded. :huh:

12NOON

BURBANK        SUNNY     71   8   8 CALM      30.13F                 
VAN NUYS       SUNNY     72  -4   5 N14       30.13F                 

CORONA AIRPORT CLEAR     76  -1   5 E12       30.13F                 
*CHATSWORTH      N/A     69  15  12 N12       30.11F                 
CHINO          MOSUNNY   76  10   8 E13G20    30.13F                 
*CLAREMONT       N/A     72   5   7 SW5G16      N/A                  
MARCH AFB      SUNNY     72   5   7 E12       30.15F                 
*NORTHRIDGE      N/A     70  -2   6 N6G16       N/A                  
ONTARIO        MOSUNNY   73   7   7 VRB3      30.12F                 
RIVERSIDE      SUNNY     74   1   6 N6        30.14F                 
SAN BERNARDINO MOSUNNY   72   7   8 CALM      30.16F                 
*SAN GABRIEL     N/A     76   4   6 CALM      30.09F                 
*SAN RAFAEL HI   N/A     75   3   6 NE2         N/A                  
*SAUGUS          N/A     66   0   7 NE13G32     N/A                  
*WHITEMAN AP   NOT AVBL                                              
*WHITTIER HILL   N/A     80  16   9 S8          N/A                  
*WOODLAND HILL   N/A     72   5   7 N10         N/A 

So far today a spread of only 13 degrees at corona airport.  I was expecting cold highs today, but it will not happen.  Still waiting for that true 'cold' santa ana where the high gets only up to like 60.    Strongest gust was last night around midnight.  31mph.  Not bad, but definitely not the strongest i've ever seen.  The only concern is of course RH.  6% at AJO, but it did get up to 13 somehow.  Infact, wow that is a bizarre anomaly.  How does yoru temp drop 6 degrees in an hour while winds quiet slightly to 10mph, then the temp jumps another 6 in the next hour with almost the same winds.

Anyone got any good guesses for this?  I have no idea at the moment, I may come with something later.

Time(PST)	Temperature	Dew	Wet Bulb	Relative	Wind	Wind	Wind	Peak Wind	Peak Wind	Quality	Pressure	Sea level	Altimeter	1500 m	Weather	Visibility	Precipitation	Precipitation
Point	Temperature	Humidity	Speed	Gust	Direction	Speed	Direction	check		pressure		Pressure	conditions		1hr	6hr
° F	° F	° F	%	 mph	 mph		 mph	°		 in	 in	 in	in		 miles	 in	 in
10:56	72.9	0.1	47.0	6	10	21	ESE			OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
9:56	70.0	-1.8	45.4	6	14	17	ESE			OK	29.60	30.16	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		0.001
8:56	68.0	-4.9	44.2	5	10		ESE			OK	29.61	30.17	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00		
7:56	63.0	3.0	42.4	9	10		SE			OK	29.61	30.18	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00	0.001	
6:56	56.8	6.1	39.6	13	10		ESE			OK	29.61	30.18	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00		
5:56	63.0	-4.9	41.6	6	16	23	SE			OK	29.59	30.16	30.17	25.18	clear	10.00		
4:56	63.0	-6.0	41.5	6	14	18	ESE			OK	29.57	30.14	30.15	25.16	clear	10.00		
3:56	61.9	-4.0	41.2	7	13	22	SE			OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
2:56	61.9	-4.0	41.1	7	15	24	SE			OK	29.57	30.14	30.15	25.16	clear	10.00		
1:56	61.9	-6.0	41.0	6	16	23	SE			OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
0:56	59.9	-1.9	40.3	8	12	16	SE			OK	29.59	30.15	30.17	25.18	clear	10.00		
23:56	59.9	-4.9	40.0	7	8		SE			OK	29.60	30.16	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		
22:56	59.9	-4.9	40.1	7	6		SSE			OK	29.63	30.19	30.21	25.21	clear	10.00		
21:56	61.0	-8.0	40.4	6	12	17	ESE			OK	29.63	30.19	30.21	25.21	clear	10.00		
20:56	61.9	-9.9	40.7	5	12	20	SSE			OK	29.61	30.18	30.19	25.19	clear	10.00		
19:56	59.9	-6.0	40.0	6	9		SE			OK	29.60	30.17	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		
18:56	61.9	-6.9	40.9	6	8		ESE			OK	29.60	30.16	30.18	25.19	clear	10.00		
17:56	63.9	-13.9	41.5	4	10	17	ENE			OK	29.58	30.15	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
16:56	64.9	-15.0	42.0	3	17	24	ENE			OK	29.56	30.12	30.14	25.15	clear	10.00		
15:56	68.9	-13.9	44.0	3	13	20	E			OK	29.55	30.11	30.13	25.14	clear	10.00		
14:56	72.0	-11.9	45.6	3	13		NE			OK	29.55	30.11	30.13	25.14	clear	10.00		
13:56	72.9	-11.9	46.1	3	17	25	ENE	32	NE	OK	29.55	30.11	30.13	25.14	clear	10.00		
12:56	72.0	-11.9	45.6	3	18	25	ENE	32	ENE	OK	29.56	30.12	30.14	25.15	clear	10.00		
11:56	70.9	-13.0	45.1	3	23	31	ENE	43	ENE	OK	29.58	30.14	30.16	25.17	clear	10.00		
10:56	66.9	-13.9	43.1	3	25	46	ENE	46	NE	OK	29.60	30.17	30.18	25.19	haze	6.00	

It turned out to be a little warmer than forecast though freeze warnings are in effect for the high desert.  There was significant cold stored up in Nevada.  Maybe some high cloudiness is the reason for the warmer minimums.

80 / 58

Rain prospects look pretty good for northern California for the rest of the week with potentially good soaking with the last system.  Still looking dry in SoCal but cooler and more clouds.

79/ 59

Per the norm, most rainfall recorded was in coastal Northern California north of San Francisco with some stations reporting near 1.00.  Further inland and south, rainfall was under 0.50 and pretty much little or nothing from Salinas/ Fresno southward.

With another ridge developing next week, I am wondering if November is going to be a big dud for Southern California :rolleyes:

75 / 56