2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Probably not that unusual historically.

In Mr. Marine Layer's dream world where global warming is even faster and more severe it would probably never happen, though.

100 degree heat is not pleasant and neither is 50 degree cold, but I prefer hot weather over cold weather.

Like the last election, people did not vote based on the candidate they liked, as both were very unpopular, but voted against the one they hated the most.

So if I had to choose between constantly 55 and overcast vs. constantly 100 and sunny, I'd take constantly 100 and sunny if those were the only 2 choices. My ideal conditions would be sunny and 75-80 degrees, but if that were not on the ballot, I could not pick it.

Also I do think there is climate change, but believe the global warming the media is trying to scare us about is just another exaggeration as the media always needs to have something to scare us about. Also, after this past election, I've lost all trust in the media.

• Like 2

RECORD EVENT REPORT...PRELIMINARY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

530 PM PDT WED MAY 02 2018

...LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE RECORDS BROKEN OR TIED ON MAY 02 2018 ...

LOCATION NEW RECORD OLD RECORD PERIOD OF RECORD

VISTA 60 62 IN 2001 1957

ESCONDIDO 59 63 IN 2012 1893

RAMONA 58 61 IN 1991 1974

ALPINE 53 55 IN 1955 1951

EL CAJON 59 66 IN 1991 1979

BIG BEAR 47 48 IN 1964 1960

IDYLLWILD 43 49 IN 1991 1943

PALOMAR MOUNTAIN 42 45 IN 1955 1901

CAMPO 50 TIED 50 IN 1955 1950

Wow, snow in May in Southern CA!

Snow Summit is a ski resort in the San Bernardino Mountains in the Big Bear Lake area, which is to the ENE of Los Angeles and north of San Bernardino. Big Bear Lake itself is at over 6,000 ft. in elevation, while the base of Snow Summit is almost 7,000 ft. and the top is just over 8,000 ft. Snow does occur at these elevations from time to time in the early to mid spring if a cold enough storm system affects the area like the storm that just came through.

After another record-breaking cold May day, the low clouds have temporarily disappeared and there's a smell of smoke in the air. I assume some fire in Camp Pendleton again.

If only other places could have picked up as much rain as Lake Forest did.

Maybe it is someone's fireplace you are smelling as it has been colder than average the last couple of days. I wouldn't think there are any brush fires around here in this type of weather, unless there is an arsonist on the loose.

Guest happ

The mostly dry upper low is now producing snow in the Rockies and severe thunderstorms in Texas. 90F temps look likely [at least inland] this weekend for the first time since mid April.

Guest happ

If only other places could have picked up as much rain as Lake Forest did.

Convergence zone? between Santa Ana mts & coastal hills. During summer Lake Elsinore CZ can produce heavy rain/ violent winds per monsoon   

Transition day today. This morning the Inland Empire was cloudy while the coastal areas were clear. Not unusual for a pattern change from strong low pressure to strong high pressure. Still noticed some cumulus clouds this afternoon from the residual moisture, but temperatures everywhere were about average.

Guest happ

Not always easy to predict the results of the battle between the 58 degree ocean water sea breeze and the offshore winds.

Do model output statistics factor in SST?  

Guest happ

This is early heat.

...Coachella Valley...
    Palm Springs
    SUNNY SUNNY  SUNNY  SUNNY  SUNNY  SUNNY    SUNNY   
      /104   70/107   70/104   69/105   72/106   72/104   70/102  
       /00    00/00    00/00    00/00    00/00    00/00    00/00  

Indio
    SUNNY   SUNNY   SUNNY   SUNNY   SUNNY  SUNNY   SUNNY   
      /104   76/108   77/105   74/106   75/106   76/104   76/103  
       /00    00/00    00/00    00/00    00/00    00/00    00/00  

Guest happ