East/Gulf Coast Weather 2016

Phil

Looks like DCA hit 97 degrees today. That makes five consecutive days at 97+, which ties several years for 4th longest streak on record in that regard.

Usually in these sort of years, we'll get like 2-3 days in the upper 90s/low 100s, drop into the low 90s, then spike back into the mid/upper 90s, for ~ 3 weeks at a time. So, while this heatwave wasn't very intense, it was/is lengthy with the duration of the upper 90s.

After this horrible month, I'm actually looking forward to the sticky summer evenings with 3000+ CAPE, lol. I'll probably have to bump troll myself on this come July, but whatever.

Yeah, I went there. :lol:

My favorite part of summer here is lounging out on the deck at night, watching the flashbulb lightning displays, listening to the crickets and cicadas, etc. Makes the heat and humidity worth it, at least for awhile.

This is still true, generally.

I think June might be nice/tolerable overall with transience in the pattern(s), however July/August look scary. Virtually unanimous analog agreement on a heatwave/blast furnace pattern starting sometime in July.

So far, while not to the extreme extent I'd figured, the pattern progression has followed the analogs overall.

• Like 1

So far, while not to the extreme extent I'd figured, the pattern progression has followed the analogs overall.

Was forecasted pretty well out, cool start, warm finish. OT, but this winter so far is looking well for us if we can pull off a neutral enso (becoming more favorited) with a +PDO, and -NAO, plus a very low sunspot sun activity(last time it was low, 09-10, very cold in the east with historic snows in the DC area). Models are starting to show this as well. Hopefully we can actually get some legit blocking this winter. Time to think more about this as summer winds down.

• Like 1

Rob

Elev : 211'

2015-2016 : 31"

I highly doubt we manage neutral ENSO, underlying trends in circulation favor La Niña intensification in the long run, in my opinion at least. However, given last winter was the warmest on record in our region, it probably won't be difficult to wind up colder overall.

There are a lot of East Coast wishcasters/weenies out there, so always need to check your sources. ;) :)

• Like 1

I highly doubt we manage neutral ENSO, underlying trends in circulation favor La Niña intensification in the long run, in my opinion at least. However, given last winter was the warmest on record in our region, it probably won't be difficult to wind up colder overall.

There are a lot of East Coast wishcasters/weenies out there, so always need to check your sources. ;) :)

I agree, there is a greater chance of a weak La Niña for sure. The last weak La Niña I remember us having was 2011-2012, but their was a -PDO that year, while this upcoming year, if models hold serve we would be experiencing a +PDO. What's your thoughts on the La Niña? I honestly don't see a mod-strong La Niña upcoming ( and no, the snow weenie googles are not on :) )

Rob

I agree, there is a greater chance of a weak La Niña for sure. The last weak La Niña I remember us having was 2011-2012, but their was a -PDO that year, while this upcoming year, if models hold serve we would be experiencing a +PDO. What's your thoughts on the La Niña? I honestly don't see a mod-strong La Niña upcoming ( and no, the snow weenie googles are not on :) )

About to head out on my evening run, will get back to you shortly on this one.

Nasty humid as I'm heading out the door. My station reads a dewpoint of 75 degrees currently, but it feels much worse for some reason, more like low 80s.

• Like 1

Nasty humid as I'm heading out the door. My station reads a dewpoint of 75 degrees currently, but it feels much worse for some reason, more like low 80s.

That's absolulety horrid, I credit you for running in those conditions.

Rob

That's absolulety horrid, I credit you for running in those conditions.

Thanks, though I question my sanity now.

Was a disaster of a run, bonked ~ 3 miles in, rendering the final 2.5 miles something along the lines of torture. Must have lost close to 5lbs of water.

• Like 1

Cloud cover on the increase, might save us from another 95+ day. Not holding my breath on that one, though. We haven't dropped below 80 degrees in five days now.

I remember when this area used to drop into the low 70s at night, even during heatwaves. Miss those days dearly.

Today feels nice.

Yesterday I walked Broad from Center City to the DNC, and it wasn't as miserable as I thought it would be. I have gotten somewhat used to the heat and humidity,

If you make it through August, I'll tip my hat. Have another friend who moved here from Edmonds WA back in 2011, and the dude still wusses out over the humidity (as do I, despite being a native).

The sooner I can afford to move the f**k out of here, the better.

Worst lighting storm of the season here went by .it was lighting thunder slimutarly for a good 5 to 15 minutes time Frame really loud shaking the whole house with bang after bang of thunder.some of the storms produce funnels on the eastern shore earlyer this afternoon.none that touch the ground I don't believe but comes to show these storms are quite impressive today.

Happy Birthday Phil.power blink a couple times but thankfully stayed on.

Thanks. Got it back, so that's a plus.

Phil, I'm late to the party but Happy Belated Birthday my friend.

Hope the house didn't burn down with all those candles.

We got a surprise thunderstorm with all the sound effects.

Not much rain at all. Maybe a tenth of an inch.

But it's fun to have the show anyway.

Our temps have been in the mid to high 90's and incredibly miserable.

Oh, please, bring on Fall !

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Had a decent evening.

Today's temperatures were also relatively "decent". Peaked at 91/72 this afternoon, now down to 82/73. Can finally sit outside and enjoy a few cigars with the gf, after being stuck inside for over a week.

• Like 1

Saw some of the flooding video. Quite the downpour.

We however are back into the heat after a brief respite of rain, thunder and cloud cover.

This week we'll be back into the heat and blazing sun.

Temps will be 100 to 102. Not a cloud in the sky. >_

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Made it to 95/73 this afternoon, for a H/I of 104. Uncomfortable.

Thunderstorm rolled in around 5pm, some heavy rain and gusty winds with long, rolling thunder towards the end of it. Could almost hear the trees breathe a collective sigh of relief after dryness that dominated the first three weeks of the month.

Sun is out again now, currently 75/75 with a thick haze.

Clearing woody vines for a neighbor, and am already sweating profusely. Currently 88/75, H/I 98 as of 1130AM.

Looks like another 95 degree afternoon in store. Hopefully we can manage more thunderstorms today to provide relief.

Try 104 .........

• Like 1

Try 104 .........

Sucks for you. :P

Much more comfortable here today, only 86/71 as of ~12pm.

So far have had two 100+ degree days here this summer, however, the most recent 25/29 days have delivered heat indices at/above 100 degrees. Usually we just get 5-10 day stretches w/ 100+ heat indices, then 3-5 days of 90+ before the 100+ stuff returns. So, this wasn't a very comfortable July, though not nearly as bad as 2010/2011/2012. I'm not sure I could survive another summer like that.

Figures the weather turns August-tastic right as I'm about to leave for GA.

• Like 1

Most comfortable evening since June. Nice easterly breeze with a fabulous 72/67 temp/dew spread.

We have 100* -104* forecast for the next 14 days.

With the current Gulf flow, all I can say is " come on hurricanes! ". Hurricane Earl is down in the Yucatan now and that usually means change is in the borderlands. Normally, it takes a Huricane hitting the Texas coast to shove the big High Domes off of us. If not, it will be much later when the PNW fronts blow through in October. Can't happen soon enough. People who have never lived with it, don't really appreciate how exquisitely horrible it is.

• Like 1