East/Gulf Coast Weather 2016

Phil

72*

Humidity 90%........yeah, really sucktacious.

Dew point 68

Meanwhile, the dread and heat is exeeded only by the misery.

Lovely weather :/

The ground is saturated and the heat turns the climate in to a sauna.

Some areas that were flooded in May and June are just a hell hole.

I feel so bad for those folks.

Question to anyone..............Any idea when this pattern will change?

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Currently 92/71 here, H/I 98 as of 121pm. Humidity not super bad actually, dewpoints around 70F are tolerable relative to where they could be. Probably gets more humid Thursday afternoon through Saturday morning, however.

Starting to heat up, currently 96/72, H/I 105 here. Meanwhile, DCA is reading 92/72, H/I 99 with a river wind, as of the most recent update.

Here's an interesting factoid I read today on another site. BWI has not observed a single 100+ high temperature since July, 18th, 2012. However, between the years 2010 and 2012, they observed 18 100+ highs. Food for thought regarding the "heat drought". It's going to come to an end eventually.

• Like 1

Mother of all heatwaves on the 11-15 day 12z EPS, consensus starting to form on at least a 594dm ridge.

Here we go.

• Like 1

Increased cloudcover kept temperatures down today, relatively speaking. High of 92/70, H/I 100 early this afternoon.

Another typical summer day, 92/72 for a H/I of 101. Only three degrees above average for the day, so definitely not a heatwave. Official standard in DC is three consecutive days with temperature at or above 95 degrees.

However, there are signs of an actual heat ridge in the long range. Let's see if it actually comes to fruition this time.

Feels 10x worse out there now, despite the temperature drop during the downpour. Clearing woodland for my neighbor and I'm sweating like a pig.

Currently 80/78 according to both sensors, heavy haze.

Edit: Pouring again, sheets of rain on winds ~ 30mph.

Edit 2: After 45 seconds, it just stops. Winds stronger if anything, maybe 35mph out of the NW.

Dewpoint maxed out at 79F IMBY this afternoon at 5:28pm, in agreement with surrounding stations, including DCA.

Just missed our first 80F in that regard.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Nicer day today overall, currently 90/68 H/I 95 with some cloudcover to make it feel cooler. Doesn't feel nearly as "disgusting" as yesterday.

Getting ready to leave the jobsite, dewpoint already down to 64 degrees. Legitimately refreshing versus yesterday afternoon/evening.

Amazing storm system moving through north to south.

Wind gusts to 35mph. Got alittle crazy for about 30 minutes as the outflow boundary moved through. One of the storms collapsed as the other two picked up steam.

I know I've said this but, D**n! This is one nutty summer.

Entertaining, but coocooville!

High winds, gusts to 35mph, heavy rain.

77*

Dew point 66*

Humidity 68%

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

LWX not biting on big heat yet, but the EPS/GEFS are really pounding the drum for it during week 2.

Zonal flow in the atmosphere means no big weather extremes and pretty typical July weather Wednesday thru Saturday. Expect ample humidity and highs 90 to 95 each day...except around/near 90 west of the Blue Ridge. Though no big drivers of thunderstorms, with the humidity and weak disturbances, each afternoon and evening seems to have the threat for at least isolated storms. Friday or Saturday a weak cold front will try to bring slightly drier air in again.

• Like 1

Well, the downsloping westerly surge (AKA our "mini-chinook") is moving in. Temperature spike was quick, now 91/58 with westerly winds sustained at 17mph (no gusts).

Happens frequently here (west of the fall-line) when heights rise to the west ahead of a building ridge. Always signifies that heat/humidity are on the doorstep, despite drying the boundary layer in the near term.

Interesting to see our first "mini chinook" of the summer captured on the 5min updates @ DCA. Obviously a bit less pronounced there versus here, but still quite interesting.

Note how winds shift to the W/NW, dropping the dewpoint by 11 degrees in 1hr, while spiking the temperature by 4 degrees during roughly the same period of time. Then it ceases 1hr later, as dewpoints spike by 15 degrees over the next hour, while temperatures drop back 7 degrees, again, roughly over the same timeframe:

image.png

Turned out to be a nice day today. A comfortable 85/67 right now (by July standards, at least).

Tomorrow looks warmer/soupier, Thursday looks like upper 90s with mid-70s dewpoints. Yuck.

The katydids have emerged here. These things are so loud I can hear them from every room in our townhouse.

Crazy how they'll remain silent for months, then on a given evening they'll all just erupt, then sing all the way into September.

Woke up to a dewpoint of 74F and condensation on all the windows. Heh, it must be July

The 00z ECMWF/EPS went bonkers with the heat in the long range (week 2). Highs up to 110 degrees on many of the EPS members, while the operational ECMWF has DC max out at ~105 degrees.

Our ceiling temperature wise is about 110 degrees, actually. Hard to get it much hotter here with the elevated dewpoints.

The last time we approached 110 degrees was in July of 2012. We haven't hit 100+ since then, so we're statistically due I guess.

High was 90/75 this afternoon, muggy. Currently 83/77 with thunderheads going up under the veil of sunset:

image.jpeg

85 today.. Man do I sure miss tracking winter storms. This weather is quite boring. 12Z GFS looked toasty in the long range.

Boring is an understatement. Good news is boring stretches tend to end with a bang.

Beautiful lightning display off to the NW this evening. Add in the fireflies, crickets, and katydids and it's just a classic summer night.

• Like 1

Currently at 98, feels like 106. 

Just luuuv-lee   <_>

You could fry an egg on the road, two eggs over easy with a side of gravel.

• Like 1

Maybe a hurricane, perhaps? Season has been quiet so far. Ironic considering all the hype it recieved.

We're way overdue for a cat2/cat3 in the I95 corridor, so maybe this is the year.

High of 98 degrees here this afternoon. Humidity was lower, thankfully. Looks like DCA hit 99 degrees, just missed 100.

Currently 94/74, H/I 104 as of 640pm.

Beautiful morning here, not even that humid. Currently 72/69 with a light fog.

Looks like another 95+ afternoon incoming, though. Going to be brutal on the jobsite today, I'll be lifting/laying granite pavers until 5pm.