Burbank : 79 / 52 / 0.00
Chatsworth : 78 / 64 / 0.00
Northridge : 78 / 64 / 0.00
Pasadena : 82 / 54 / 0.00
Pomona/Fairplex : 78 / 48 / 0.00
Saugus : 74 / 59 / 0.00
Van Nuys : 81 / 65 / 0.00
Woodland Hills : 78 / 58 / 0.00

We dodged a major bullet yesterday w/ widespread high winds/ critical dew points and yet no fires of any significance.  Today's maximums in Phoenix were in the 60's depending on the airport. Last week CPC forecast much below average temps for Arizona/ Southwest that verified and with the recent storms soil moisture levels must be OK in spite of the strong dry winds. There has only been one day in the 90's this month and the forecast is for temps to stay below 90F except in the warmest valley locations for the rest of the week.  

85/ 61

We dodged a major bullet yesterday w/ widespread high winds/ critical dew points and yet no fires of any significance.  Today's maximums in Phoenix were in the 60's depending on the airport. Last week CPC forecast much below average temps for Arizona/ Southwest that verified and with the recent storms soil moisture levels must be OK in spite of the strong dry winds. There has only been one day in the 90's this month and the forecast is for temps to stay below 90F except in the warmest valley locations for the rest of the week.  

85/ 61

I figured that with all the rain in Orange County there wouldn't be fires with this first Santa Ana event. However, now that the soil has dried out some, along with dry fuels, the fire danger will be higher with the next event.

Today is about the same length of day and sun angle as February 18, the afternoon shadows are long, the sunset (in UTC) is about the same time as mid January, and the high temperatures still average higher in late October than they do in late May.

You would never see a shadow like this at 5:41 PM in May.

shadow.jpg

Today is the 3rd day out of 21 that solar noon is at 1934 UTC in Lake Forest. Earliest solar noon is on November 3, about 29 seconds earlier than today. By December 21, it's getting about 30 seconds later each day. That's why our darkest evenings are before the Winter Solstice.

Weather has been beautiful, but boring lately.

• Like 1

By tomorrow morning's sunrise in California, Longyearbyen will have had its final sunrise and sunset of 2018. The sun will not return until after Valentine's Day next year. However, there's 4 months of the year there where the sun is up 24 hours a day.

Hallmark Channel also begins their Countdown to Christmas tomorrow, which is way too early. Not even Halloween yet.

It's the 25th anniversary of the Laguna Beach Fire today. I remember the black smoke that seemed to suddenly appear that morning in school in San Juan Capistrano. That night from Lake Forest, the western sky was glowing. Someone said it was headed our way and I didn't sleep well that night. Good thing they got it under control the next day.

Today looks to be hot without the infamous Santa Ana Winds, but it looks like we could have some next week.

It's the 25th anniversary of the Laguna Beach Fire today. I remember the black smoke that seemed to suddenly appear that morning in school in San Juan Capistrano. That night from Lake Forest, the western sky was glowing. Someone said it was headed our way and I didn't sleep well that night. Good thing they got it under control the next day.

Today looks to be hot without the infamous Santa Ana Winds, but it looks like we could have some next week.

I remember the Laguna Beach fire. I was in college at the time, and after one of my classes I went up to the top floor of one of the buildings on campus and could see either the glow or the smoke, or both. 

It appears that we are in for some Santa Ana winds next week, and hopefully we don't have anything like the Laguna Beach fire at that time.