2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

NWS hasn't been especially accurate with cut-off lows but Saturday may produce rainfall once again; hopefully showers for everyone this time.

Mostly clear skies allowed chilly minimums away from the coastline this morning and likely again tonight unless the wind kicks up. 

76/ 59

It was quite the light show here in Orange tonight. From about 7:00 until 10 pm there was frequent lightning to my east, southeast, occasionally overhead, and even to the west and southwest at times. It rained here almost the entire time and it got heavy at times, providing a good soaking for the first significant rain of the season for Orange County. This will greatly help to reduce the fire danger for a good portion of O.C. including the Santa Ana Mountains when the Santa Ana winds come up early next week. However, if we have a prolonged dry spell with more Santa Anas, the fire danger will rise once again.

If anyone here is interested in more details and observations on tonight's storm who aren't regular visitors or bloggers on Weather West, you can read the comments at weatherwest.com.

Arizona -- it's the new PNW!

I'm in Quartzsite now and it's been pretty interesting the last 24 hrs. with strong storms rolling through early in the morning and another round in the late afternoon/ early evening -those did kind of a pirouette around town though. Watching a lightning show over the mountains to my east now.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Overcast and cool late morning. Yesterday Pasadena's max was only 69F [probably the first day in the 60's since May]. Today is the kind of day to stay indoors and watch football.  Chargers 14 Browns 3  B)  Next up Rams in Denver where it is currently 20F w/ light snow.  

Overcast and cool late morning. Yesterday Pasadena's max was only 69F [probably the first day in the 60's since May]. Today is the kind of day to stay indoors and watch football.  Chargers 14 Browns 3  B)  Next up Rams in Denver where it is currently 20F w/ light snow.

I thought you like the cool and cloudy weather, so you should be out enjoying it.

I thought you like the cool and cloudy weather, so you should be out enjoying it.

At mostly cloudy and 71F it is delightful outside especially considering upcoming warm-up this week. We put a TV on the deck and enjoy NFL/ Dodgers/ Lebron in LA  B)

SoCal Edison and Pacific Gas/ Electric [in NorCal] announced that they will shut off service if winds become too strong. They were charged as liable for fires [ie. Santa Rosa] this past year and will withhold electricity to areas experiencing high winds this week to prevent wildfires.

72/ 60 

• Like 1

Often being this close to the San Gabriel mts provides some protection from santa ana winds though exact locations differ. I noticed that nearby San Rafael Hills was gusting to 40mph and almost 10 degrees warmer than my calm area around 4am. Then periodic strong winds surfaced here w/ some branch damage about 2 hours later. Currently breezy but nothing like the conditions in the San Fernando valley and below Santa Ana pass/ Orange county. Dew points are below 10 degrees and minus 0 in places.