2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Still in CA for now, but heading to Eugene on 11-2.

As is common in these sorts of setups with ridging at the upper levels and a very weak offshore gradient at the surface, I recorded some of the warmest overnight lows in the country with 64 degrees last night and 68 the night before.

You must have some localized downslope flow in your area being next to the foothills that help to keep minimums up in your area.

Here's a graph of the daylight gain/loss for Fullerton, CA.

FullertonGainLoss.png

Note that due the Equation of Time, which is the difference between mean solar time (as shown by clocks) and apparent solar time (indicated by sundials), we lose a lot more daylight in the afternoons than the mornings right after the Fall Equinox. The Equation of Time has its minimum value around November 3. This is the earliest solar noon of the year - about 16.5 minutes before 1200 UTC in Greenwich, England. By mid December, solar noon is getting almost 30 seconds later each day. The Equation of Time has its maximum value around February 11. This is the latest solar noon of the year - about 14.25 minutes after 1200 UTC in Greenwich, England.

We are currently nearing the November 3 minimum of the Equation of Time, at which point the morning and afternoon loss/gain are equal (red and blue lines intersect). After November 3, we lose more daylight in mornings than the afternoons.

For Fullerton, the earliest sunset of the year is where the red line intersects 0 minutes on the Y axis. This happens around December 4. The December Solstice is where the black line intersects 0 minutes on the Y axis. The latest sunrise of the year is where the blue line intersects 0 minutes on the Y axis. This happens around January 7. Note that we are referring to the earliest sunset and latest sunrise in UTC time. Currently,  we have later sunrises than on January 7 now with Daylight Saving Time still in effect.

Finally notice that amount of morning daylight loss increases each day after the Fall Equinox until leveling off in mid November. It is not until mid December the amount of morning daylight loss is the same as around the equinox.

Looks like I'm getting out of town just in time for another week or two of very warm, dry weather. No rain anywhere in California on the GFS all the way out to 384 hours.

I heard there was some pretty cruel fog this morning. Probably almost felt like summer was over for a few hours.

010300Z...Coast/Valleys/Mountains....Spooky FEW-SCT clouds with    bases 25000 ft MSL will prevail through this Halloween evening.    Pockets of LLWS possible S/SW of the mountains. Ghostly low clouds   are not expected to move into coastal TAF sites tonight or    Thursday morning. High clouds with bases 25000 ft MSL continue    into the morning with unrestricted vis. 

We have Thunder98 and Dan the Weatherman, but they don't post very much.

I haven't posted very much because there simply hasn't been much going on in the weather. I also post on Weather West and sometimes forget to post over here. I will try to remember to post more over here once the weather pattern finally becomes more active.

Most of the country is frigid, while we have our usual Santa Ana winds and fires.

Even Brownsville, TX is in the low 60s, and they are about as far south as Miami.

It's perfection here!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Maybe some rain next week, but for now it's just pathetically early sunsets and occasional periods of thick high clouds.

The sunset has been the same at this time of year all your life. Still beautiful down there. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**