March 2024 Observations and Discussion

Tom

On 3/31/2024 at 3:38 PM, Tom said:

The MJO is always a freaking crap shoot...JB touches a lot on the idea of underwater volcano's.  I gotta give him credit, he may be onto something...with the low solar, it usually adds to more tremors around the globe and ignites volcanos.  Interesting theory to say the least.

Yes. I've always agreed with theories that tied geomagnetic, earthquake and volcano activity and other more subtle but very constant cycles to our sun. When you see N. Hem volcanoes wake up this close after solar max, it has one's thoughts rolling....

Oklahoma is an abstract place to study earthquake activity. I've found it pretty direct that it does ebb and flow with solar.

Our temperature cycles going back the last century reflect this, along with 30-40 year PDO/AO cycles covering the other lager parts of the variance. 

The global temp drop that JB predicted many many years ago really did happen, as well, between 2008-09 and 2011-12. We had a bad (warm) winter after Sandy, and they sandbagged him. 2013-14 was the tag on the end of that crash. 

Bastardi is a smart man, he's just very extravagant in personality. Some call it a retraction, but I think it kinda makes what he teaches and does really stick well. 

Nobody at all could have predicted Hunga Tonga volcano or, going back to 2015-16, the QBO literally getting stuck and failing to propagate down, what you have is a bunch of folks who really need to accept defeat in most or all unproven theories and reinvest in getting 2 weeks of weather right.....first. Or being intelligent enough as a people to truly understand reality of why we have billion dollar disasters today when we had far fewer today. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

We had a huge one on Tuesday. Ashland just barely missed a tornado and my county had 2 of them from the same storm..

NWS Charleston is in fact still confirming additional tornadic damage in various locations.

WOW! Hope everyone and yourself was ok w/ these crazy storms. The ones that are super scary are the nightime tornadoes when everyone is sleeping and not aware of bad weather coming. Stay safe there.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

1 hour ago, Niko said:

WOW! Hope everyone and yourself was ok w/ these crazy storms. The ones that are super scary are the nightime tornadoes when everyone is sleeping and not aware of bad weather coming. Stay safe there.

Thankfully my storm was a late morning MCS, and we had a rare 'moderate risk' on SPC for the area, I'm sure many locals saw it coming even if they were at work or doing whatever else. Turns out nobody got injured, but many homes received varying amounts of damage. They expected the evening round to be a more dangerous outbreak, but our 1st round ended up being one large tornadic complex. Many cities were in Tornado Warnings both before and after my county. So I think it would've hurt more people if it had happened out of nowhere.. just a theory though. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 39
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 5/21, 5/22, 5/26, 5/27, 6/4, 6/5, 6/6, 6/17
6/18, 6/23, 6/25, 6/29, 7/3, 7/4, 7/5, 7/14, 7/16, 

Severe storms: 3
Max High: 96 (feels like 107 on June 17)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl