2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Dog next door is going on a bark-o-rama. They like to leave her outside in the dark at night and she has a missing eye.

Stupid dogs have stupid owners. However their son made it into major league baseball and they had a big party at their house and we were not invited because they hear us complaining about their dog all the time.

If my much smarter and prettier dog goes onto their lawn, their dog goes nuts in the window. This has led them to have damaged blinds that needed to be replaced. 

• lol 1

On 12/22/2023 at 4:08 PM, Anti Marine Layer said:

Sunny day for the 10th time in a row

DEAD

Deep marine layer moves in

DEAD

Marine layer brings drizzle 

DEAD

Offshore flow develops

DEAD

Santa Ana Winds start a fire near Santa Maria. Smoke blows out 500 miles to sea

DEAD

Hurricane forms out at sea and spreads in some high clouds mixing with smoke for a pretty sunset

DEAD

Marine layer redevelops with dense fog. Beach is 65 degrees. 15 miles inland is 95 degrees

DEAD

NWS update says hurricane could hit California as a weak tropical storm 

DEAD

The hurricane moves closer and smoke moves inland

DEAD

Smoke spreads into Arizona and hurricane becomes Category 5 1000 miles SSW of San Diego 

DEAD

Hurricane hits cooler water and begins to weaken

DEAD

Tropical Storm Warning issued for San Diego

DEAD

Moisture ahead of hurricane forms a supercell thunderstorm over Santa Maria

DEAD

Supercell thunderstorm brings 2.35" of rain in 3 hours to Santa Maria. Tornado passes within a mile of @Thunder98's house

DEAD

1 day later hurricane is Category 2 500 miles SSW of San Diego 

DEAD

Tropical storm warning upgraded to Hurricane warning for San Diego, still a tropical storm warning everywhere else

DEAD

Category 1 hurricane makes landfall in San Diego 

DEAD

Hurricane weakens to tropical storm and brings 48 straight hours of heavy rain to Santa Maria 

DEAD

Santa Maria gets 6.56" more of rain from tropical storm. Major mudslides where the fire was reach Thunder98's backyard 

DEAD

No matter what happens this thread is DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD

It's just impossible to muster the interest in weather that we have in the PNW in CA.  From what I can tell the PNW and NE have the most rabid weather fanatics when looking at various forums.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Dog next door is going on a bark-o-rama. They like to leave her outside in the dark at night and she has a missing eye.

Stupid dogs have stupid owners. However their son made it into major league baseball and they had a big party at their house and we were not invited because they hear us complaining about their dog all the time.

If my much smarter and prettier dog goes onto their lawn, their dog goes nuts in the window. This has led them to have damaged blinds that needed to be replaced. 

I can't stand disrespectful dog owners.  With me it's neighbors that leave their dogs outside and I have to endure being barked at when I'm outside doing something.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Our other neighbors are even stupider. The parents are dog haters but their girl always liked dogs so there were a few times they got one for her. They never allowed their dogs in the house with the 2 Mercedes Benzes in the driveway because of all the money they spent to make it look nice. One of their dogs ran away on New Year's Eve after there were fireworks. So a few years later they got another dog and they had it in the backyard tied to a chain. It got tangled up so I reported them to animal control and they got rid of the chain and let the dog sleep in the garage at night. I used to feed it and pet it through the fence, but it eventually died, probably from starvation. 

Their father always has a smug look on his face and we've never been inside their house either. They are Koreans and the grandfather was actually a nice person. They used to have people singing hymns in their house once, but they don't act like Christians and they NEVER have any Christmas decorations inside or outside whatsoever. 

• lol 1

Equation of Time has gone negative (which means solar noon will now be later than 12:00 PM in Greenwich) and we've gained another 10 seconds of daylight here.

Time and Date

12/25/2023 9:39:29 AM

Solar Declination

23.39 S

Equation of Time

Minutes for Solar Declination to change by .01

Minutes for Equation of Time to change by .01

On 12/24/2023 at 9:26 AM, snow_wizard said:

It's just impossible to muster the interest in weather that we have in the PNW in CA.  From what I can tell the PNW and NE have the most rabid weather fanatics when looking at various forums.

Weather West, a blog dedicated to California weather and climate has quite a following, and the people are from all over the state as well, including the mountain areas like the Sierra. In terms of activity it is the complete opposite of this thread.

Edited by Dan the Weatherman

7 hours ago, Dan the Weatherman said:

Weather West, a blog dedicated to California weather and climate has quite a following, and the people are from all over the state as well, including the mountain areas like the Sierra. In terms of activity it is the complete opposite of this thread.

We need to invite people over here. All the conversation is in the comments, which is kind of hard to navigate through. 

11 hours ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Disqus is very buggy with DuckDuckGo browser.

I use Edge with Disqus and I haven't had much trouble with anything, except when there is an occasional glitch with Disqus. I have never used the DuckDuckGo browser, as I don't even have it installed on my computer.