2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Ran into the densest fog I've ever seen going up the 73 from Newport Beach around 6am this morning. It was very localized and I broke out of it in only like half a mile, but for a brief period I could barely even see 1 lane marker stripe on the road in front of me. More than a little nerve wracking! 

15 hours ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

ML depth should increase to 8000-10000 ft tonight. Should get rid of the horrible air quality. 

I hope we get rid of this terrible air quality that we have had over the past several days. It has been feeling like I am in Bakersfield or some other nearby area of the San Joaquin Valley that is infamous for this type of air quality.

5 hours ago, Dan the Weatherman said:

I hope we get rid of this terrible air quality that we have had over the past several days. It has been feeling like I am in Bakersfield or some other nearby area of the San Joaquin Valley that is infamous for this type of air quality.

There are some days when we have fairly good air quality (usually a weak offshore flow) while Central Valley is horrible under Tule fog, and any smoke from chimneys here drifts into Central Valley, resulting in an Air Quality Alert for us here to prevent further pollution over there.

Last year we had Air Quality Alerts on some days with crystal clear visibility.