2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Almost identical to yesterday morning except scattered stratus formed a bit further inland. Dew points were almost as high as minimum temps making for another very muggy night for sleep.
L: 72°

June Gloom in August with East Coast humidity levels.

The mets on the Weather Channel were discussing the uncomfortable dew point temps over the eastern half of the nation this morning. The same levels of humidity [DW: upper 60's/ mid 70's] have also been occurring in SoCal but without rain except in isolated mountain areas.  They may be tired of the near endless storms and muggy air back East this summer but I'd gladly trade places. To have such high/ prolonged humidity without the benefit of showers makes it more miserable in California. 

Some discussion on WeatherWest of stormchasers going to Hawaii.  Once I was in Orlando for business purposes during a category 1 hurricane that was losing power; gusty wind/ heavy rainfall.

post-226-0-86835700-1534952538_thumb.jpg

This has been a very boring summer in Socal, as there has really been a pronounced lack of monsoonal activity despite the high heat we have been experiencing. There hasn't even been that many days in which midlevel moisture has been overhead west of the mountains. It does feel good that we are cooling down somewhat, but it would be nice to see one last gasp of the monsoon before the summer pattern transitions to fall with possibly even remnants from a tropical system. It seems that the Epac hurricanes aren't tracking along the Mexican coast this year, and are mostly moving westward in the direction of Hawaii.

I will even say that this entire year has been boring from a weather standpoint. I don't know if it can get any duller than this!

This has been a very boring summer in Socal, as there has really been a pronounced lack of monsoonal activity despite the high heat we have been experiencing. There hasn't even been that many days in which midlevel moisture has been overhead west of the mountains. It does feel good that we are cooling down somewhat, but it would be nice to see one last gasp of the monsoon before the summer pattern transitions to fall with possibly even remnants from a tropical system. It seems that the Epac hurricanes aren't tracking along the Mexican coast this year, and are mostly moving westward in the direction of Hawaii.

I will even say that this entire year has been boring from a weather standpoint. I don't know if it can get any duller than this!

Summer 2016 was very boring as well with the lack of Monsoonal activity.

• Like 1

The painful reality is that we don't get very interesting summers anyway. In-fact, our climate is boring year-round if you like rain/ snow. One thing we have been spared for the most part is that the smoke over NorCal/ PacificNW has not impacted us in SoCal. Aside from some distant thunderstorms [san Bernardino mts] the only rain occurred July 18th when some rapidly-weakening cells reached Los Angeles. I recorded a trace  :rolleyes:

Wet ground on 7/18

post-226-0-42548200-1535129190_thumb.jpg

• Like 1