Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Internal boundary layer

boundary layer potential temperature wind speed mechanical turbulence thermal turbulence

• Please log in to reply

kailas

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

kailas

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello everyone,

I want to ask if someone knows about the temperature profiles in an internal boudary layer

Also if you have an internal boundary layer you must also have changes in the temperature or it isnt necessary?

Are turbulent kinetic energy and wind speed vertical cross sections enough to explain an internal boundary layer or i should also use profiles of temperature?

Black Hole

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1175 posts
  • LocationBountiful, Ut 84010 ~4575ft

Hello everyone,

I want to ask if someone knows about the temperature profiles in an internal boudary layer

Also if you have an internal boundary layer you must also have changes in the temperature or it isnt necessary?

Are turbulent kinetic energy and wind speed vertical cross sections enough to explain an internal boundary layer or i should also use profiles of temperature?

What do you mean by internal boundary layer? As far as I know, boundary layer works just fine so can you explain?

The boundary layer is the layer from the surface through which the atmosphere is well mixed. This can range from basically zero during wintertime inverted conditions, to several km high in the desert during summer. Normally this layer is well-mixed which means that the temperature drops at the dry adiabatic lapse rate (although it can be less at times), which is 9.8 K/km. Above the boundary layer this does not occur. The boundary layer sees momentum transfer between the slower moving winds, tke, etc at the surface and aloft. These properties tend to be reasonably uniform throughout it as a result except right at the surface. 

Normally if I want to find a boundary layer I just see how high the atmosphere is well mixed too and that is good enough. 

BS Atmospheric Science University of Utah May 2015

PhD Candidate Atmospheric Sciences

--Emphasis on: Forecasting, Mountain Weather, Numerical Weather Prediction, Data Assimilation

Winter 2016/17 Snow:
Nov 17: 3.2", 23: 1.6", 28: 9.2" (14)

Dec 1: .5", 16: 2.5", 25: 13" (16)

Jan 2: 5", 3: 2.4", 4: 7.7", 12: 1", 19: 1.2", 21: 13", 23: 6", 24: 1", 25: 3.7", 26: 2.5" (43.5) 

Feb 11: .5", 23: 6.5", 27: 4.5" (13.5)

Mar 5: 5.5" (5.5)

Apr 8: 2", 9: 1.8" (3.8)

May 17: 1" (1)
Total: 96.3"

Lowest Temp: 2F

kailas

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

kailas

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

internal boundary layer is the layer which grows inside the planetary/atmospheric boundary layer usually due to the changes in the surface roughness... anyway thank you for your time and response