2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Still had light rain this morning post 11 am. Definitely have a possibility for some record low maximum temperatures today.

Last year on this day it was also raining with a 4000 ft deep marine layer and I was driving into Palm Springs. There was no clearing west of the mountains until Cabazon where the dinosaurs are. We also had snow in the Sierras that week just days before an insane heat wave right around the Summer Solstice. So the change of seasons from the chill of winter to the heat of summer can take place in less than a week. Climate change? Probably.

Still had light rain this morning post 11 am. Definitely have a possibility for some record low maximum temperatures today.

Last year on this day it was also raining with a 4000 ft deep marine layer and I was driving into Palm Springs. There was no clearing west of the mountains until Cabazon where the dinosaurs are. We also had snow in the Sierras that week just days before an insane heat wave right around the Summer Solstice. So the change of seasons from the chill of winter to the heat of summer can take place in less than a week. Climate change? Probably.

That is eerily close to the set-up facing us. These are the days of coolness/ clouds we need before the heat of summer. Nice cumulus overhead currently: 69F

An active monsoon would be fun

NWS_Las Vegas 

post-226-0-11298400-1497207111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not much of a marine layer left this morning and whatever clouds remain are not in the usual places.

Good. I was sick of the clouds lasting until mid-late afternoon.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

It shows you are in Oregon. I am in Southern California.

Looks a lot like a post winter storm day today with the cloud pattern.

I'm in Westlake Village right now. I live in Bend, but I grew up here and my parents still live here.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

There was snow last night in the Sierras from Lake Tahoe down to Mammoth. One article talks about Mammoth here, but I would not exactly consider it Southern California.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/6/12/15781448/snow-june-mammoth-tahoe

According to another long technical article, there has been marine layer snow in Southern California in June, but not this time.

https://docs.lib.noaa.gov/noaa_documents/NWS/NWS_WR/TM_NWS_WR_277.pdf

In some cases, the inversion base will lift up to just higher than the mountain resorts near 6000 feet, and cool enough for snow to fall out of mainly marine layer moisture.  This type of scenario has occurred as late as June.

I am ready for some summer weather. I know the people living further inland are not.

There was snow last night in the Sierras from Lake Tahoe down to Mammoth. One article talks about Mammoth here, but I would not exactly consider it Southern California.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/6/12/15781448/snow-june-mammoth-tahoe

According to another long technical article, there has been marine layer snow in Southern California in June, but not this time.

https://docs.lib.noaa.gov/noaa_documents/NWS/NWS_WR/TM_NWS_WR_277.pdf

I am ready for some summer weather. I know the people living further inland are not.

Thanks for the NOAA link; good reading. 

Some are comparing the current model analysis to June 2008 when we had an 8-day heat wave w/ 3 days 100°+

Looks like June Gloom is gone for a while, although if the inversion gets really strong, which it probably will with the heat, beaches could have trouble clearing later this week. Hopefully none of the post-noon or not-at-all inland clearing though.

Only a very few patchy low clouds this morning if you were paying attention.

Not much to look forward to for a while but generally by the end of June we start getting higher dewpoints/ afternoon build-ups over the mountains.

Tuesday: 82/ 57

NWS_LA is predicting 90's for the next 7 days for my area.  It always seems that a trend of cool anomalies during a month is often undone by heatwaves.

88/ 62

NWS_LA is predicting 90's for the next 7 days for my area.  It always seems that a trend of cool anomalies during a month is often undone by heatwaves.

88/ 62

If I remember correctly, most of the spring including the first half of June 2006 was quite cool, then the second half of June turned hot, which led to the extremely hot and humid July that featured a good deal of monsoon moisture. There was a thunderstorm at my house here in Orange late that July that brought about 1/3" of rain, with thunder so loud that it set off the car alarm.

If I remember correctly, most of the spring including the first half of June 2006 was quite cool, then the second half of June turned hot, which led to the extremely hot and humid July that featured a good deal of monsoon moisture. There was a thunderstorm at my house here in Orange late that July that brought about 1/3" of rain, with thunder so loud that it set off the car alarm.

You're referring to the killer summer: How can I forget it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_North_American_heat_wave

Cold area of sea surface temperatures off Baja Coast and north of Pt. Conception while most of Southern California is warmer due to the turn in the coast at Pt. Conception blocking the main influence of the California Current and the lack of upwelling due to Catalina Eddy. Not sure what is causing the colder pocket of water just south of the border.

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/californ.cf.gif

NWS_Phoenix:

"Taking a look at the weather pattern during our 10 hottest days
  since 1948 for Phoenix, on average, 500 mb heights were around 
  597 dm and 700/850 mb temps were near 15/31 degrees respectively.
  Therefore, there is absolutely no doubt we will be near all time
  highs with this heat wave, with the hottest and most dangerous
  temperatures expected Monday through Wednesday. These 
  unseasonably hot temperatures will bring moderate to high, and 
  locally very high, heat risk to the region. This type of heat 
  should be taken extremely serious!" 

Could reach 120F at Lake Havasu City, Arizona on Tuesday and Wednesday. The all time record high for Lake Havasu City, AZ is 128F which occurred on June 29th, 1994.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/weather/186155d1497578024-summer-thread-2017-northern-hemisphere-lakehavasucitywx.png

I can live with this kind of heat so long as it stays under 95°. Dew points are high especially in NorCal. The Central Valley is going to be miserable for days.

92/ 66