2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Guest happ

This cool air mass really helps keep snow melt in check as well as providing another couple inches in high mt stations even in SoCal/ Arizona. Flooding is expected in the Central valley this spring unless deep troughs persist all summer.  B)

Marina Jurica/ Fresno sky yesterday 

post-226-0-30299600-1494953874_thumb.jpg

Guest happ

Nice photo of Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857 above Ensenada in Baja [80 miles from San Diego]; the forest in Hanson plain looks healthy after a very wet winter/ May. I was surprised to find out that these mountains are part of the Sierra Nevada range.

#BajaCalifornia

post-226-0-52555100-1495132589_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest happ

Are you hiking there?

@DiscoverBaja

No. It is one of several regions not too far away and worth exploring. I did get drunk in San Felipe a long time ago en route to Canon de Guadalupe. 

post-226-0-12206300-1495138587_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest happ

First average max [77.5°] in over a week.

78/ 55

Some more photos of Sierra de Juarez which, by the way, is not part of the Sierra Nevada Cordillera contrary to Wikipedia misinformation. Laguana Hanson is 5500'. La Rumorosa is on the other side of the mountains.

post-226-0-06931200-1495160862_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-71342700-1495160939_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest happ

That reminds me of a desert oasis about 20 miles from Palm Springs that I saw on a Huell Howser episode the other night.

There are several oases and canyons w/ native fan palms near Palm Springs including some in Joshua Tree. The oases follow the San Andreas fault. Canon de Guadalupe is a spa and close to but not part of the Parque Nacional Constitución. There are palm grower associations that know of all the oases/ canyons. Mulege is another area in Baja.

Warm day ahead

post-226-0-17764800-1495298674_thumb.png

• Like 1

There are several oases and canyons w/ native fan palms near Palm Springs including some in Joshua Tree. The oases follow the San Andreas fault. Canon de Guadalupe is a spa and close to but not part of the Parque Nacional Constitución. There are palm grower associations that know of all the oases/ canyons. Mulege is another area in Baja.

Warm day ahead

I remember hearing on that same Huell Howser episode that the oasis near Palm Springs is along the San Andreas Fault.

Guest happ

Marine layer hugging the coast and should move inland more and more each night this week as another fairly deep trough develops. Maximums in the 60's by Thursday?

Sunday 92/ 65

Guest happ

I was just outside; there's a noticeable cooling. Currently 77F; down from 84 an hour ago.

11AM  L.A. DOWNTOWN  SUNNY     79  59  50 W8        29.92S   

NOON  L.A. DOWNTOWN  MOSUNNY   70  58  65 W9G17     29.96R   

Guest happ

The marine push was short-lived but it remained slightly below the 86° reached before noon.  Too bad the ULL southwest of California lacks much if any moisture.  Just another 'lazy low' that tends to produce May Gray conditions minus rainfall.

Getting some reverse clearing this morning with deep marine layer clouds reaching as far inland as the Central Valley. No rain here this morning and actually got some sunshine before it got mostly cloudy again. Looks like a few more weeks of these deep marine layer events before the Four Corners High builds in by late June or early July to bring more consistent summer-like weather.

Last two Mays were pretty much consistently cool and trough-dominated while this May has been a battle between strong troughs and ridges.