2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Guest happ

0.30" fell here in Orange with this last storm. This is more rain than I received in March and April combined! It also fulfilled my prediction of the possibility of another storm after that strong Santa Ana wind we had about a week or two ago.

It is sad that my 0.26 was the most one-day rainfall going back to Feb 17th. But the rain total is now 20.36; more than average. Hope we manage to record more rain before June 30. Wonder what the monsoon will bring? The Pacific is warmer than normal between Hawaii and Mexico. Noticed how much warmer it is this morning compared to the readings when the upper low was overhead this past weekend.

L: 58

It is sad that my 0.26 was the most one-day rainfall going back to Feb 17th. But the rain total is now 20.36; more than average. Hope we manage to record more rain before June 30. Wonder what the monsoon will bring? The Pacific is warmer than normal between Hawaii and Mexico. Noticed how much warmer it is this morning compared to the readings when the upper low was overhead this past weekend.

L: 58

I hope we get some more rain before the end of the season, too, to make up for the dry March / April we went through. With the SSTs warmer than normal in the subtropical Pacific, it will be interesting to see what type of monsoon pattern we will have or if any remnants of eastern Pacific tropical systems could affect our area like they did in the summer of 2015.

Guest happ

Photo courtesy of NWS_SD of cloud cover yesterday; more of the same today. If today's maximum stays below 70F it will be 4 days in the 60's so far this month; more than April and March combined. Long range looks to stay well below average w/ the possibility of more rain again early next week. 

Edit: March had 4 days in 60's

post-226-0-36866400-1494437392_thumb.jpg

Guest happ

It is becoming a pattern here to have winter return in May after warm March and April weather. I hope some of you have a good chance to have a nice picnic or long walk in the gloomy, cool, damp weather that makes you so happy.

I, in-fact, did take a walk yesterday and found it quite comfortable to be outside.  It is interesting that the current stationary omega block may be responsible for a very cool May for the 3rd consecutive year. 

It is becoming a pattern here to have winter return in May after warm March and April weather. I hope some of you have a good chance to have a nice picnic or long walk in the gloomy, cool, damp weather that makes you so happy.

There is a reason why Southern California has a reputation for being one of the gloomiest climates in the country.

Guest happ

Early leafing shows remarkable warmth over the Midwest/ Eastern US. I am surprised that SoCal is later than normal. The jacarandas are in flower.

post-226-0-00691600-1494444358_thumb.jpg

There is a reason why Southern California has a reputation for being one of the gloomiest climates in the country.

It does for two months of the year. Surprisingly it often goes from cool to hot by late June or early July thanks to the Four Corners ridge. Otherwise we would be like San Fransisco all summer long.

California coastal weather is quite ridiculous as it can be over 90 F in November or February with a strong offshore flow event or below 70 F in June or even early July with a deep marine layer. There is no logic between the temperatures and the sun angle.

As for climate change I am not so sure about global warming, but it will mean stronger troughs and ridges than ever before and more blocking patterns that last for weeks or even months.

End of the week looks to have a few nice (or not nice, depending on your preference of sky color and temperature) days. Some people have SAD and some people have reverse SAD. Others just enjoy a variety of weather and are hoping for more rain to add to our seasonal totals.

I would think the people who have T-shirts and shorts on an overcast 60 degree, breezy day and don't feel cold would have a hard time tolerating much above 72 and sunny.

As for me, 72 degrees in air conditioning makes me freeze in summer clothes, but 68 on a sunny day with little breeze can feel nice and warm.

Still very hazy today, but a lot more sunshine.

Guest happ

End of the week looks to have a few nice (or not nice, depending on your preference of sky color and temperature) days. Some people have SAD and some people have reverse SAD. Others just enjoy a variety of weather and are hoping for more rain to add to our seasonal totals.

I would think the people who have T-shirts and shorts on an overcast 60 degree, breezy day and don't feel cold would have a hard time tolerating much above 72 and sunny.

As for me, 72 degrees in air conditioning makes me freeze in summer clothes, but 68 on a sunny day with little breeze can feel nice and warm.

Still very hazy today, but a lot more sunshine.

Who can complain w/ this forecast?

"NWS_LA

Fri      Sat      Sun      Mon      Tue      Wed      Thu     

May 12 May 13  May14 May 15  May 16 May 17 May 18  

...Coastal Areas...

Downtown Los Angeles

PTCLDY   PTCLDY   PTCLDY   PTCLDY   PTCLDY   PTCLDY   PTCLDY  

56/72        57/76       57/72         57/72        58/72        57/72        57/72   

00/00    00/00    00/00    10/10    10/10    10/10    10/00  

More typical night/morning low cloud pattern today. Great thing about California on a typical marine layer day where clouds pull back to the beaches is that if you love the cool and gray, you can always drive to the beach, and if you love the sunshine and warmth you can drive inland.

I remember a school beach party as a kid where it was cold and cloudy and I still got a sunburn. I also remember doing swimming lessons in Long Beach as a kid where every day was cold and cloudy until about noon when we were driving home.

Guest happ

Strange high temperatures

Thursday: Fullerton was 78 F, Foothill Ranch was 75 F

Friday: Fullerton was 72 F, Foothill Ranch was 76 F

Could be return of the eddy, which makes a more southerly sea breeze, which passes over less land to reach Fullerton than a Westerly sea breeze.

Anemic marine layer/ stratocumulus this morning. Catalina eddy tonight should help form a much stronger onshore flow for Mother's day. Models suggest next week's ULL moving too far east into Nevada to produce rain for SoCal unlike last weekend.

In the meantime and continuing for at least another month or more, we likely will only have the nuances of the marine layer to discuss. A southerly wind can push the coastal clouds northeast into the San Gabriel valley; that is when Long Beach is much cooler than USC. A westerly wind/ stratus push can produce the opposite with downtown cooler than Long Beach/ Los Alamitos bay due to downsloping off Palos Verdes hills.

Friday: 77/ 56   

Guest happ

Speaking of stratus; where is it?  Not too uncommon for the low clouds to migrate inland after sunrise but I can't make out the marine layer on early morning satellite images north of Long Beach.  A deeper trough should result in stratus tomorrow morning and maybe drizzle.

Edit: stratocumulus 2000' @ 7:50am 

Sunny but very windy here right now. Sort of like a reverse Santa Ana. Nice south wind being generated by the coastal eddy.

Glad to hear it's working out today. Sunshine in Southern California is a rare treat.

Guest happ

I was surprised to see reports of rain in Santa Ana/ Irvine this past hour esp since it is dry/ partly cloudy just about everywhere else in SoCal. 

Sunday: 72/ 55

Guest happ

0.02" for Lake Forest. Drought buster.

I'm heading up to Palm Springs for the week. Only mid 70s expected there today.

Showers reported in Duarte; just sprinkles here but windy/ wintry. Weren't you in Coachella valley recently?

Guest happ

Cold upper low still in charge but less clouds/ rain likely today. Some fairly impressive showers yesterday mainly inland in places [saugus: 0.26 / Pomona: 0.10] and cold temps [Pasadena: 61F].

Monday: 63/ 55