2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

It is still raining in NorCal breaking all time records in several locations.  This chart suggests the odds of a complete 2-year recovery from the drought are quite low but who knows, esp if a favorable ENSO sets up. 

Tuesday: 76/ 54

post-226-0-04143900-1492020534_thumb.jpg

The northern Sierra has now surpassed the all time record for rain and that part of the state is still raining off and on this week. There is concern that a major heat wave could result in significant flooding in NorCal and Nevada.

Nice Easter: 79/ 54

post-226-0-92200400-1492396074_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Heading down to Westlake Village tomorrow. Spending the night in Sacramento then stopping at Carrizo to view the flowers tomorrow. Really looking forward to the 80s this weekend. Last time I felt 80 degree weather was September 29th.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Heading down to Westlake Village tomorrow. Spending the night in Sacramento then stopping at Carrizo to view the flowers tomorrow. Really looking forward to the 80s this weekend. Last time I felt 80 degree weather was September 29th.

There is a fair chance for rainfall tomorrow though likely not much or maybe nothing. Oh well.

There is a fair chance for rainfall tomorrow though likely not much or maybe nothing. Oh well.

I'm ok with that. I'm there for 7 days and it looks nice after tomorrow.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

The northern Sierra has now surpassed the all time record for rain and that part of the state is still raining off and on this week. There is concern that a major heat wave could result in significant flooding in NorCal and Nevada.

Nice Easter: 79/ 54

Is snowpack also well above average?

Is snowpack also well above average?

Yes, at historic levels in many areas. For it to be raining/snowing anywhere in California [ex north Coast] during mid-April is practically a miracle. Snowpack in southern Sierra [165%/177%] is running slightly behind central Sierra [183 -194%].

If we could get a decent marine layer tonight we might get some measurable rain but high clouds have ruined any chance for stratus development in recent days.

76/ 54

That website attacks me with ads. Cannot view it on my smart phone at all. Shame on you LA Times.

Agree and why I limit how much time I spend on the LAT website.

With 21.63" of rain since September 1st, This is now the 7th wettest water year on record!

Is that total from your backyard, making it the 7th wettest year since you have been keeping records, or is that total from an official NWS site nearby? I was just wondering, and that is a good total regardless of where it was observed!

Satellite image is not updating once again. It also looks like NOAA has changed the look of their weather sites.

The site changes occurred sometime either late last night or early today. NWS sites now have a consistent look nationwide. The Western Region sites were the last to be converted over to the new format, while east coast NWS sites were converted a couple of years ago and the Southern Region sites were updated more recently in the past year or so.

Is that total from your backyard, making it the 7th wettest year since you have been keeping records, or is that total from an official NWS site nearby? I was just wondering, and that is a good total regardless of where it was observed!

The Rain gauge in Orcutt 

https://rain.cosbpw.net/sensor.php?time_zone=US%2FPacific&site_id=150&site=902050b0-0af2-4966-9910-69511ab27014&device_id=4&device=1ee1e4a7-fc5c-4f0c-880a-0c3f0b1cfce6&bin=-999&range=Custom+Range&legend=true&thresholds=true&refresh=off&show_raw=true&show_quality=true&data_start=2016-09-01+00%3A00%3A00&data_end=2017-04-21+23%3A59%3A59