January 2014 in the PNW

TT-SEA

Crush job and bifurcation:

1mb

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3540/hpda.jpg

10mb

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4586/kbig.jpg

Does a "crush job" finally mean WINTER for the PNW, or does it mean we'll be crushed...again???

Putting it simply, breaking down the PV releases the shackles holding the coldest air up at the pole. Flow turns increasingly meridional in nature, and cold air spills into the mid latitudes.

The PV is being bombarded by wave breakers and the shifting stress fields associated with the QBO, which is in a declining state. The cooling of the equatorial Strat is slowly igniting the MJO, further amplifying the Rossby wave train.

A weaker/disrupted stratospheric PV increases vertical shear on zonal flow below and reduces downward transport of frigid gases from the polar mesosphere, hence you break down the vortex column and often fall into a -NAM/-EPO dominated regime.

I just got back from Crown Point. It was not as strong as Friday for sure but it gave my kids a thrill. I'd guess the strongest gust was in the 85-90mph range.

Corbett had a gust to 74 this morning which equates to over 100mph along the steps at Vista House. Also, from judging that along with Biddle Butte gusts compared to the past 2 events which is slightly lower I'd say 95mph+ I bet is about spot on.

Annoying that its so dry... looks very much like December.

Funny.  I looked at it just now and I thought "Tim is going to comment about how dry this run is." 

Models are just starting to get their act together.  Do some yoga.  

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Funny.  I looked at it just now and I thought "Tim is going to comment about how dry this run is." 

Models are just starting to get their act together.  Do some yoga.  

Does not really bother me too much... would be nice to get a shot at meaningful snow if its going to cold.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Is that a Pineapple Express past hour 300? Meteostar wouldn't let me load the images.

Ye may only speak of 300 hours if ye has something POSITIVE to say about it.

I'm not sure how the attitude police will feel about this, but I think a quick burst of cold/coldish/impactfully cool followed by a significantly wet pattern feels right.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Something to wash our newly acquired mountain snow down the hill and the east coast might get another much needed arctic blast at the end of the run as well.

Yeah, those poor folks have been really deprived of cold and snow this Winter. It simply isn't fair that we keep hogging all of the goodies. We simply are stuck up and selfish how we refuse to share. We were taught to share! screw the rules

Yeah, those poor folks have been really deprived of cold and snow this Winter. It simply isn't fair that we keep hogging all of the goodies. We simply are stuck up and selfish how we refuse to share. We were taught to share! screw the rules

I think at this point, they might start groaning at another blast.

I think at this point, they might start groaning at another blast.

Perhaps. Would we? ever? Just for shits and giggles imagine if we had 5-7 arctic blasts say from December 10th - February 20th, do you think anyone would complain or get tired of "the D**n snow and cold!" hmmm... I don't know. I'd be okay with it.

Perhaps. Would we? ever? Just for shits and giggles imagine if we had 5-7 arctic blasts say from December 10th - February 20th, do you think anyone would complain or get tired of "the D**n snow and cold!" hmmm... I don't know. I'd be okay with it.

Epic! "shits" isn't censored but "D**n" is lmao... I love this place :) *high 5's iFred*