2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Skies are clear this evening but marine layer will likely develop so minimums should stay fairly warm despite lowering pressure. SST are still around 70° [warm for October]. Drizzle looks good for tomorrow before trough moves east and offshore winds kick in later in the week. 

79/ 63

It is now 46F this morning and it was down to 43F-44F an hour ago. Its expected to go up to 81F today. High diurnal range

Clear/ calm night allowed enough cooling for temp to drop below 60F around sunrise here. Otherwise the weather is super boring and looks to stay that way for a while. 

Tuesday: 75/ 62

L: 58

Waves were enormous at Laguna Beach today, so I could only go in the water to about knee level and duck down when it was not too wild. Some of the waves were probably at least 8 feet high before crashing down with thunderous sounds. Lifeguards were warning everybody about the danger of the ocean. Those waves were not something anybody but an experienced surfer would want to mess with. The beach was crowded, however.

The water was pleasantly warm.

Looks like a much cooler day tomorrow with some beaches possibly remaining cloudy all day. Then it's back to strong offshore flow again by Monday morning. Sunday night should be an interesting marine layer night.

Not weather related, but throughout the last year, starting around Labor Day 2016, there has been a form of litter in our streets every Friday. It was a big coupon and advertisement flyer called the OC Saver. It would always come separate from the OC Register and most people would not pick them up, because they had no interest whatsoever. Sometimes the OC Savers would be soaked up by sprinklers or kicked down the driveway, where water running down the gutters would soak them up. After I while I got sick of these rolls of litter, while walking the dog every day, so I would pick them up and scratch them against rough surfaces, throw them into the busy streets, rip them apart, or destroy them in other creative ways.

EVERY SINGLE WEEK for more than a whole year, Ashley Homestore had an advertisement for a special sale. They are a company that never has a day without a sale and that obviously attracts foolish people to buy their crappy furniture, which I've heard is terrible.

Anyway, since the last 3 weeks, the OC Saver is apparently no more. I have not seen one for the last 3 weeks, so apparently it has been discontinued. Ashley Homestore must be devastated!

However, the LA Times people still get their roll of junk called LA Times Local Values, which is basically the LA Times version of OC Saver. So I still pick those up and destroy them. Even though OC Register's quality has been consistently getting worse the last few years, one good reason to stay with their newspaper (for now) is no more stupid OC Saver to litter our neighborhoods.

Not weather related, but throughout the last year, starting around Labor Day 2016, there has been a form of litter in our streets every Friday. It was a big coupon and advertisement flyer called the OC Saver. It would always come separate from the OC Register and most people would not pick them up, because they had no interest whatsoever. Sometimes the OC Savers would be soaked up by sprinklers or kicked down the driveway, where water running down the gutters would soak them up. After I while I got sick of these rolls of litter, while walking the dog every day, so I would pick them up and scratch them against rough surfaces, throw them into the busy streets, rip them apart, or destroy them in other creative ways.

EVERY SINGLE WEEK for more than a whole year, Ashley Homestore had an advertisement for a special sale. They are a company that never has a day without a sale and that obviously attracts foolish people to buy their crappy furniture, which I've heard is terrible.

Anyway, since the last 3 weeks, the OC Saver is apparently no more. I have not seen one for the last 3 weeks, so apparently it has been discontinued. Ashley Homestore must be devastated!

However, the LA Times people still get their roll of junk called LA Times Local Values, which is basically the LA Times version of OC Saver. So I still pick those up and destroy them. Even though OC Register's quality has been consistently getting worse the last few years, one good reason to stay with their newspaper (for now) is no more stupid OC Saver to litter our neighborhoods.

You have no right to be destroying other people's coupon books dude. :lol: And it sounds like you are making the litter situation much worse by tearing them up and throwing them around. Tossing them into busy streets just seems dangerous for you and for drivers.

It is quite windy in Ventura county and Inland Empire this morning.

9AM

POINT MUGU    SUNNY     76  17  11 E30G44    29.90R   

CORONA         SUNNY     75  15  10 NE22G32   29.94R                             
ONTARIO        SUNNY     72  27  18 N14G36    29.91R                             
RIVERSIDE AP   SUNNY     72  15  11 NE14G35   29.94R                 

Sunday: 82/ 63

I've been reading reports of the serious fires in Napa & Sonoma counties. Yesterday's offshore winds [they call them 'Diablo' winds in NorCal] created dust storms followed by smoke from wild fires. Santa Rosa has been especially hard hit.

Daniel Swann

post-226-0-23824900-1507568964_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this coming pattern change closes the door on the fire season down there, which up until now had been fairly modest.

Correct. We've had it pretty good this past summer probably partly due to very high dew point temps. NorCal had many fires starting with an extremely hot/ prolonged heat wave in June.  Autumn is often the worse time of year especially in SoCal when very dry/ hot offshore winds can occur. Looking forward to the upcoming trough but rainfall looks quite limited even in far northern areas of the state this week.

87/ 63

post-226-0-85319500-1507600237_thumb.jpg

The dewpoints rose quickly last evening, which should be helping some with the fire. It's a good thing this was not a prolonged Santa Ana Wind event.

I still remember Laguna Beach in 1993. The whole Western sky was red that night from Lake Forest and my piano teacher's husband said it was coming here.