March Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Maybe if you're poor and don't have air conditioning. I'll take 95 and sunny over 40 degree drizzle any day.

I’ve had a/c in the house for the last 10yrs, would never go back and 95 any day over 40 and drizzle!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

If you're in a climate-controlled space, why does the weather outside matter at all?

Sleeping. And then water activities by day.

Best summer weather IMHO is between 75-85 with sunshine and dewpoints in the upper 50s to low 60s... and with some thunderstorms but always at night. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sunshine - always good, MUST be celebrated

Snow - good, as long as it's not too sloppy and falls before February

Clouds - evil, except when they create a photo-worthy sunset/sunrise

Rain - pure evil, ruins life

Drought - does not exist in the PNW

:lol:

And sunny/50*F skiing > snowy/35*F skiing.

I like spending a lot of time outside, so I like something in between the immediate Pacific Coast weather and DC. Even though last summer was extremely dry, smoky at times, and really warm - it was better than typical DC/Southeast summer weather.

Exactly. The last day of my trip there it was 85*F and sunny, but the lack of humidity felt great, and it was back into the low/mid 70s by sunset. I have nothing against warm weather as long as it’s not humid.

And yes, I do prefer 85*F/low humidity to 52*F/drizzle.

• Like 1

I agreed with you about DC. :)

I already know we have generally awesome summer weather. Your choice between too cold or too hot is fun to discuss but sort of irrelevant.

Speaking for myself... I would not want Hippa Island or DC weather in the summer.

Fair enough. I generally agree with this, so I’m not sure what we’re even arguing about.

Guest Sounder

If you're in a climate-controlled space, why does the weather outside matter at all?

Is this a serious statement? Because it's nice to be outside in the warmth and then go cool off inside. It's less pleasant to be outside in cold drizzle and then go dry off + warm up. Having air conditioning makes outdoor spaces more usable because you have somewhere for a reprieve. 40 and drizzle is never pleasant to be outside in, while 95 can be.

• Like 1

Is this a serious statement? Because it's nice to be outside in the warmth and then go cool off inside. It's less pleasant to be outside in cold drizzle and then go dry off + warm up. Having air conditioning makes outdoor spaces more usable because you have somewhere for a reprieve. 40 and drizzle is never pleasant to be outside in, while 95 can be.

If it’s cold outside you can add layers. If it’s hot..well, your options are more limited. Especially if you’re working a strenuous job outdoors, exposed to whatever nature throws at you.

• Like 2

That’s why you wear the proper gear, man. Snow is just water, and ~ 75% of your body weight is water, so who cares if briefly increases to 76%.

Troll!

I prefer to not be drenched and have to constantly wipe off my goggles when skiing.   That is not a problem when its sunny... regardless of the temperature.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sleeping. And then water activities by day.

Best summer weather IMHO is between 75-85 with sunshine and dewpoints in the upper 50s to low 60s... and with some thunderstorms but always at night. :)

Well, 40 and drizzle doesn't happen in the PNW or pretty much anywhere during summer anyway, so...

For outdoor summer activities that involve water, I think just about anyone would take heat over cool drizzle. But in terms of pure comfort, 60 and drizzle (a more realistic summer temp) is a lot more comfortable for hiking than 95 with high humidity. 

Summer hiking or doing anything active that isn't in the water is just miserable for most of the country east of the Rockies.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Well, 40 and drizzle doesn't happen in the PNW or pretty much anywhere during summer anyway, so...

For outdoor summer activities that involve water, I think just about anyone would take heat over cool drizzle. But in terms of pure comfort, 60 and drizzle (a more realistic summer temp) is a lot more comfortable for hiking than 95 with high humidity.

Summer hiking or doing anything active that isn't in the water is just miserable for most of the country east of the Rockies.

Fascinating. So cooler is better when hiking? Good take! I would agree. Hike in the spring and fall and on every pleasant summer day. On the rare occasion that its 95 and sunny... find water.

Do you have to hike every single day? :)

Fascinating. So cooler is better when hiking? Good take! I would agree. Hike in the spring and fall and on every pleasant summer day. On the rare occasion that its 95 and sunny... find water.

Do you have to hike every single day? :)

Nope, just as no one has to go play in the water every single day. Personally, I hike a lot more than I go boating or swimming, but that's just me. And here it's not usually an issue...if it's 95 in Denver, I can go hiking an hour or two away where it's 70-75. Most places east of here don't have that option, and they have much higher humidity than here.

Either way, the comparisons of 40 and drizzle to 95 and sunny were silly, as only one of those is realistic summer weather. 95 with high humidity is miserable for most outdoor activities. A/C is irrelevant if we're talking about outdoor activities. And if you go camping, for example, you don't have that option to escape the heat.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I assure you that there is a big difference on how wet you get. There is no comparison.

Eh, it’s just a different kind of wet. And the longer you ski the less of a difference there is. Remember I live on the east coast, where fog/rain at 4,000ft is pretty common with isentropic lift ahead of cold fronts.

The ridges here are actually cloudier, foggier, and possibly rainier than your backyard.

Eh, it’s just a different kind of wet. And the longer you ski the less of a difference there is. Remember I live on the east coast, where fog/rain at 4,000ft is pretty common with isentropic lift ahead of cold fronts.

Easily avoided there.

My son was at Snoqualmie all afternoon yesterday in 50 degree sunshine and came home with dry snow pants and sweatshirt. When he skis even in snow he comes home so wet that he has to strip before coming in the house and everything goes right into the dryer. He refuses to ski when there is rain or rain/snow mix or even above freezing snow. That is just intolerably wet.

He loved yesterday.

The Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania seems perfect.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Looks cool and unsettled to me. Quite Spring like.

Definitely for the first half of the run.

The later periods are much more ridgy than previous run but that is irrelevant.  

The Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania seems perfect.

I could live there. Lots of big thunderstorms, subzero winter temperatures, and 100”+ of snow per year. Much better than here.

Scott Sistek reported 68 at Port Townsend earlier... so even Jesse got to enjoy this warm day. :)

We were hiking up the Dosewallips River. Very nice. Probably upper 50s up there.

Back in reception in Brinnon now. It’s warmer down here. 67.

Looks like PDX may have been saved by east winds and high clouds today. In other news, might be time to retire that faulty SEA sensor.

Yeah... except there were readings all over the Seattle area in the low to mid 70s.    SEA was right in line.   Including just 2 miles away in Renton where it was the same temperature as SEA. 

Whoooops.   

Always easier on the mind to blame a faulty sensor.    ;)

DYHxA45X4AAJkjs.jpg

Surprisingly... even BLI hit 70 today.

But I am sure its all about a faulty sensor at SEA.    It was probably in the 50s today.   

73 at SEA is official... 4th warmest March day in history there.    It makes sense that SEA was warm today being in a position to maximize the easterly flow.   Also 73 in Renton.

76 at Tacoma McChord AFB

73 in Shelton

70 in Bellingham

70 in Everett

71 in Olympia

71 in Hoquiam

69 at PDX

72 in Salem.