California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

Managed to record 0.22 so far from light showers mainly later this afternoon.  Also the coldest day in a long time.  Hope we get some more rain overnight.

60/ 51 [correction]

Month: 0.24

Year [jul-jun]: 7.31  

• Like 1

May end the month with another storm that could be wetter and colder per models.  Today was windy but cold enough to produce many minimums below 50F.

74 / 49 [coldest minimum since 1/4/15] 

I picked up .46" here in Orange from this last storm, and is the first measurable rain here since January.

Rain chances are improving into next week; cold storms that produce snow.  Yesterday the San Gabriel Mts looked great, snow level should lower some more.

L: 52

The low snow levels this weekend remind me of the New Year's Eve storm, down to 2000' in places [La Canada/ Temecula].  Nice chilly weekend coming our way; hopefully with as much or more rainfall than last weekend.

L: 50

Rain totals are consistent with forecast [0.10 - 0.50].  Storms entering So Cal from the north weaken coming over the transverse ranges Santa Barbara to LA.  This is when San Diego gets some respectful totals.

February 2015 may end up being the warmest ever though 1995 was also quite warm.  Normally Jan & Feb are wet months but not even 2 inches since New Years. Subtropical plants [tabebuia, coral, bauhinia] are in full bloom so early. 

Feb 2015 Data

Aver Max: 75.6 norm: 70

Aver Min: 56.0 norm: 52

Mean: 65.8 

Hi Max: 88

Lo Max: 60

Hi Min: 65

Lo Min: 49

Rain Days: 3

Month: 0.50

Year [jul-jun]: 7.57

February 2015 may end up being the warmest ever though 1995 was also quite warm.  Normally Jan & Feb are wet months but not even 2 inches since New Years. Subtropical plants [tabebuia, coral, bauhinia] are in full bloom so early. 

For the LA airport, 1963, 1980, and 1995 were warmer than 2015.

For downtown LA, 1980, 1981 and 1995 were all warmer.

Pasadena has 2015 easily warmest, but I don't know how reliable their records are, seem to be missing a fair amount of data.

Lancaster was second warmest behind 1963.

A forum for the end of the world.

For the LA airport, 1963, 1980, and 1995 were warmer than 2015.

For downtown LA, 1980, 1981 and 1995 were all warmer.

Pasadena has 2015 easily warmest, but I don't know how reliable their records are, seem to be missing a fair amount of data.

Lancaster was second warmest behind 1963.

Downtown Feb 2015

I hate to even know how much warmer those other years were.

Feb 2015 Data

Aver Max: 75.6 norm: 70

Aver Min: 56.0 norm: 52

Mean: 65.8 

Hi Max: 88

Lo Max: 60

Hi Min: 65

Lo Min: 49

Rain Days: 3

Month: 0.50

Year [jul-jun]: 7.57

This has got to be one of the worst "heart of winter" (January - March) stretches that I have ever seen in my lifetime. It has been incredibly dry during these months as a whole on a consistent basis since 2012.

Rain totals are consistent with forecast [0.10 - 0.50].  Storms entering So Cal from the north weaken coming over the transverse ranges Santa Barbara to LA.  This is when San Diego gets some respectful totals.

This storm hasn't been very productive in northern Orange County, either, despite the flow being about as favorable as it can possibly get from off the ocean (SW to S). There have been a few showers today, but the bulk of the action here at my house in Orange occurred last night. San Diego County is getting the most out of this storm.

February 2015 was by far the warmest in the 24 years I've been recording the weather here.  1995 was #2, but it wasn't really even close at 66 / 50.

Ave Max:  70.4

Ave Min:  51.4

Mean:  60.9 (+7.2)

Hi Max:  83 (2-13-15)

Lo Min:  42 (2-23-15)

Precip:  1.31 (-4.28)

I think February 1995 was warmer than February 2015 was here in Orange, especially as far as high temperatures go. If I recall correctly, there were at least a couple of 90+ degree days that month. The mildness of the nights this last February is what probably help to push up the numbers.

This storm hasn't been very productive in northern Orange County, either, despite the flow being about as favorable as it can possibly get from off the ocean (SW to S). There have been a few showers today, but the bulk of the action here at my house in Orange occurred last night. San Diego County is getting the most out of this storm.

.78" so far for San Diego, with more to come. That's pretty good for them.

A forum for the end of the world.

.78" so far for San Diego, with more to come. That's pretty good for them.

That is good for San Diego. NWS San Diego reported in their AFD that many locations in San Diego County picked up between 1/2 and 1 inch of rain. Unfortunately much of Orange County and points northward didn't receive nearly that much.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SPECIAL MARINE WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OXNARD CA
822 AM PST MON MAR 2 2015

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OXNARD HAS ISSUED A

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...
  INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA
  CATALINA AND ANACAPA ISLANDS OVER PACIFIC WATERS...
  INCLUDING EL SEGUNDO...HERMOSA BEACH...MANHATTAN BEACH...REDONDO
  BEACH...AND PALOS VERDES PENINSULA

* UNTIL 1015 AM PST

* AT 815 AM PST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
  SHOW A CLUSTER OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS EXTENDING FROM ABOUT 20 NM SOUTH
  SOUTHEAST OF POINT MUGU SOUTHWARD TO CATALINA ISLAND...WITH THE LEADING
  EDGE OF STORMS 10 MILES WEST OF REDONDO BEACH. THESE STORMS HAVE A
  HISTORY OF SHOWING ROTATION...LIKELY PRODUCING WATERSPOUTS.

THE STORMS WERE DRIFTING EAST AT 5 KNOTS AND WILL LIKELY
  CAUSE WIND GUSTS OVER 40 KNOTS...ROUGH SEAS...HAIL...AND
  POSSIBLE WATERSPOUTS.

Fairly active day across the area with reports of water spouts, hail [including a heavy hail event in Huntington Beach], thunderstorms, snow above 4000'.  A great late winter gift.

62/ 48

Year [jul-jun]: 8.26

After getting relatively little rainfall here in Orange yesterday, a band of rain came through last night and another band this morning. There was hail in Long Beach, Palos Verdes, and Huntington Beach with this morning's storms, and so much hail fell in these locations (especially Huntington Beach), it looked almost like snow and some people even built a "hailman" (a snowman made out of hail). It didn't hail here in Orange, though, but the rain came down pretty good for a time this morning.

• Like 1

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
901 PM PST Mon Mar 2 2015

Synopsis... 
Drier and milder weather returns Tuesday and continues through
the remainder of the week.

Discussion...

Low pressure area is centered off the coast of Southern
California this evening. High pressure will build in from the west
Tuesday into Wednesday with warming temperatures each day through
Thursday. Northerly flow will on Tuesday...easterly at night in
the mountains will become mostly light by Wednesday. Some patches
of fog may be possible Tuesday morning thanks to the showers in
the valley moistening up the surface.

Extended Discussion (Friday through Monday)

No significant weather impacts through next Monday as high pressure
ridge builds and remains in control over the West Coast. A mostly
clear sky resulting in more dry weather will rule with above
normal temperatures and light winds. Daytime highs are expected
in the 60s to 70s within the valley and 50s to 60s over the
mountains through Monday. Patchy morning fog may form in northern
San Joaquin Valley and southern Sac Valley. Models show a minimal
threat of precipitation next Monday/Tuesday, then increasing the
potential mid to late next week.

... Generally positive, I'd say. Even with the warming between. (?)

Not "crazy" above normal temps.. And with the broader pattern appearing to be evolving more positively. 

http://theweatherfor...ussion/?p=72913

---

Low of 39 last night -- coldest since Jan. 1st.

3-day storm total of 1.06".

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Death Ridge.

Regarding a change next week, we'll see, but there have been far too many disappointments this winter for me to get my hopes up much.

Wonder if the "death ridge" is as strong in Spring as it has been this winter?  :o

http://www.latimes.com/travel/california/la-trb-mammoth-tahoe-ski-resorts-snow-20150303-story.html
It's a powder party at ski resorts from Mammoth to North Lake Tahoe

The bad news: The snowpack survey in the Sierra Nevada on Tuesday measured far below normal, leaving California facing a fourth year of severe drought, the Associated Press reports.

The better news: in the short term, storms brought serious powder to California ski resorts from Mammoth Mountain in Mammoth Lakes, Calif., and north to North Lake Tahoe. The three-day storm that started Friday dumped more than 2 feet of snow at many resorts.

Squaw Valley, Mt. Rose Ski Resort, Northstar California and others welcomed boarders and skiers who at places were knee-deep in newly fallen snow. There was enough of the white stuff to open the Royal Gorge cross-country skiing resort in Soda Springs, Calif.

Here's what the North Lake Tahoe Visitors' Bureau reported Tuesday on local ski resorts:

--Alpine Meadows in Tahoe City, Calif., gained 28 inches; six lifts and 43 runs are open

--Boreal Mountain Resort in Soda Springs, Calif., gained 22 inches; seven lifts and 30 runs are open

--Diamond Peak Ski Area in Incline Village, Nev., gained 24 inches, five lifts and 22 runs are open

--Mt. Rose Ski Resort in Reno, Nev., gained 10 inches; seven lifts and 41 runs are open

--Northstar California Resort in Truckee, Calif., gained 16 inches; 13 lifts and 64 runs are open

--Squaw Valley in Olympic Valley, Calif., gained 32 inches; 22 lifts and 61 runs are open

--Sugar Bowl Resort in Truckee, Calif., gained 24 inches; seven lifts and 67 runs are open

Farther south, Mammoth Mountain in a statement said it received more than a foot of snow as of Sunday. "Yesterday the top of the mountain was going off with some of the best powder we've seen all season," Mammoth wrote on its website Tuesday of the 11,053-foot peak.

Interesting how the areas down wind from the Santa Ana Mts can get the warmest temps during offshore winds.

ORANGE COUNTY AND THE LOS ANGELES BASIN

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
JOHN WAYNE AP  SUNNY     87  13   6 NE15G28   30.06F                 
LAKE FOREST FR   N/A     81  19  10 N12       29.98F                 
SANTA ANA        N/A     85  17   8 NE12      30.02F                 
HUNTINGTON BCH   N/A     83  26  12 NE5       30.09F                 
LOS ALAMITOS   SUNNY     83  20   9 NW7       30.07F                 
FULLERTON      SUNNY     83  18   9 VRB5      30.07F                 
LONG BEACH     SUNNY     82  21  10 CALM      30.08F                 
L.A. AP        SUNNY     78  18  10 S3        30.08F                 
L.A. DOWNTOWN  SUNNY     80  20  10 CALM      30.08F     

-
Slowing movingwith even the added element of a decreasing more over-all force of movementat this point, main colder air "may" work to direct some amount of the main moisture south, more toward us, earlier this week. @

http://theweatherfor...ussion/?p=35907  ( .. updating current larger 21z, both IR and Vis.)

source:  http://www.fvalk.com/day image.htm  .. Images accessible, 3-hourly, for the five main geostationary scopes.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total forecast/getprod.php?prod=XXXAFDSTO&wfo=STO

---

My view regarding the period of more 

..twenty-seven straight months warmer than normal ... records for the official nearest to my location ..  KBUR (Burbank Airport).

.... if this was just a random statistical anomaly, you'd think there would have been at least one month in there somewhere that was cooler than normal.

My view regarding the sketch of months of above normal temperatures more south there where you are, is that it's a general result of a more Multi-decadal type timeframe cycle of cooling and so better consolidation of main cold stores north more than the main higher latitudes looked at together with otherwise warming temps more generally nearer to the equator, and then vise-versa, .. and with things currently moving toward the former suggested here above.

---

.... multi-"decal" (don't you mean "decadal?") scale as you suggest.

However, I'd feel a lot more convinced if someone could point out a corresponding official reporting station somewhere which has recorded 27 straight months of below normal termperatures during this same period.

"decal". Lazy-type, for "decadal. (Fixed.)

"Below". ? Perhaps you haven't understood what I've meant, with my perhaps having been able to explain it better. Essentially 9-10 years of cooling, progressively more within and through the higher latitudes, with a corresponding warming, also progressively more (annually.) nearer to the equator, .. followed by, 9-10 years of the reverse of these ideas.

Or have you meant more, in fact at the other end of this idea9-10 years from now. ? ... Where, per what I've suggested above, more primary cold's, having worked to consolidate better north for several years through 'til then, having at that point more, been being depleted progressively more annually, with having been distributed better through the mid-latitudes more, whatever register's working to show this trend. ?

---

I don't doubt that a portion of this anomaly might be attributed to cycles which run on a multi-"decal" (don't you mean "decadal?") scale as you suggest.

However, I'd feel a lot more convinced if someone could point out a corresponding official reporting station somewhere which has recorded 27 straight months of below normal termperatures during this same period.

If there are any stations that have recorded 27 straight months of below normal temperatures, they would likely be in the Midwest or Northeast, where troughing has been in place almost constantly for the last 3 years, while we have been suffering from this ridge that absolutely refuses to budge to allow any sort of lasting pattern change.

"PW VALUES IN EXCESS OF 2 INCHES" per NWS_SF on mid-week system.  What are the chances of a pineapple express this month in light of ENSO development?

Looks like a warm week again. 

Saturday: 87 / 62

Lo: 61

"PW VALUES IN EXCESS OF 2 INCHES" per NWS_SF on mid-week system.  What are the chances of a pineapple express this month in light of ENSO development?

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimic-tpw/global2/main.html  (Takes a moment of two to load in.)

Main "Water Vapor", North American Composite for the most recent 7 hours. 

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/dml/comp/goes/nhem/wv.html

A polar perspective "Water Vapor" imagery, animated, more 3-hourly. 

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/polar/index.php?type=polar-wv-6  (.. plus 24 images, the past 3 days.)

A "fair" amount of main moisture still being generated within and through the tropics / subtropic looked at more generally leastwise.

.. As I see the potential, the main factors involved where considering the idea of whether or not any of it gets pressed into anything more useful nearer to and over us more any time soon are, 1) whether or not colder air's current general expansion daily more South at this point and set to continue through the 13th, can work to consolidate whatever moisture to the nearer SW and South more, this with 2) the relative degree of access whatever main moisture is allowed North with main cold's both, continued current slower movement East through the 11th or so @, before beginning to move assertively East from then through the 20th or so, where starting to slow again. These ideas looked at along together with 3) colder air's beginning to recess daily more Northward on the 14th.

These main factors with also, not forgetting that at this point "season" is in fact a more basic plus where considering main moisture generation.

---

-
Connected to and in line with what I've said suggested above regarding the general "potential" for some precip. where looking at things more generally, i.e. main moisture (PW - precipitation of Water values that "happ" pointed to), set with main colder air's movement potential more, and with being a little closer to the main focus timeframe where considering it, ...

http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/globalir.html

Even with the colder air sitting out over the Eastern Central Pacific right now, being relatively weak and more "secondary"(with its having been cut-off from its main and more primary cold supply line, having been diverted more eastward or just plainly non existent, to the north, more directly and more upstream from more NW to WNW.), …

http://weather.unisys.com/upper air/ua hem.php?plot=n5&inv=0&t=cur
http://weather.unisys.com/upper air/ua hem.php?plot=n8&inv=0&t=cur

.. And with this cold's main movement, as with all colder air movement more longitudinally east at this point, being fairly slow, where looking ahead to Wed./Thus., the main point when some amount of precip. has been forecast, all colder air should be at the point of having begun to pick up its pace east, if more gradually. This with as I've suggested above, main and broader cold's more general force of movement, looked at more over-all, also being a bit stronger at that point. 

The main digest here being, that the general outlook may "perhaps" (could.) be even a bit "better" than forecast. 

Things not looking too bad, 70 percent chance of rain, here where I am more north, on Wednesday. 

http://forecast.weat...=1#.VP4d6ig9Dt0

A bit less more general scope, surrounding Sacramento. - http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=sto

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
319 PM PDT Mon Mar 9 2015

.Synopsis...
Above normal temperatures continue into Tuesday under strong high
pressure. A weather system will bring light precipitation and
cooler temperatures to interior northern California late Tuesday
through Wednesday. Drier and warmer weather returns Thursday and
Friday.

Less further south, main focus here "San Joaquin Vally / Hanford". - http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=hnx

---

Got only about a 1/4 in. here overnight.

Cliff Mass is forecasting a more decent amount of rainif only reaching to as south as where I ambeginning Friday. 

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/03/rain-returns.html

Although nothing in line with this per the NWS for my area more specific.

http://forecast.weat...=1#.VP4d6ig9Dt0

.. But more with what I'd said within my post just above. Cold's more stepped up movement east mainly. Together with what the NWS had.

---