California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

Maximums were in the low 90's in parts of the low desert today; way too early for heat.  This week could see temps around 90F even west of the mountains as the ridge dominates the West.

77 / 58

Maximums were in the low 90's in parts of the low desert today; way too early for heat.  This week could see temps around 90F even west of the mountains as the ridge dominates the West.

77 / 58

Low 90's in the lower desert is more typical of mid April, not early February. It has been feeling more like April here in Orange this month and I hope it doesn't continue after this weekend. If it remains warm and dry more or less from now until early spring, then April and May aren't going to be the pleasant months they usually are.

Low 90's in the lower desert is more typical of mid April, not early February. It has been feeling more like April here in Orange this month and I hope it doesn't continue after this weekend. If it remains warm and dry more or less from now until early spring, then April and May aren't going to be the pleasant months they usually are.

With the mild nights and warm days it does seem like April.  Noticed SST as warm as 60F north of San Francisco.  But at least Squaw Valley [8000'] was below freezing today; hopefully with a couple feet of snow on the ground.  NWS_SF data indicates all stations averaging above normal rainfall after last week's storm.  If we could get in on some more 'atmospheric rivers' this month and March than maybe the drought will improve.   

I just realized I hadn't recorded a below freezing temp. since the new year cold snap. Over a month. That should only happen in July and maybe August.....not the dead of winter....unreal.

I know the valleys are feeling like April, but the mountains feel a lot like June....

I am beginning to wonder if we are going to get any more rain this season or not.

.. I say yeh.

And mean it Dan. More a sense, certainly a bit of positive thinking working. But I'm seeing the greater propensity / collection of propensities, preponderating (?) in that direction, more the otherwise.

.. Things in general, e.g. cold, warm, main moisture, all things otherwise lending to pattern, pattern evolution between now and through to then, leaning more toward yeh, than no. 

---

.. I say yeh.

And mean it Dan. More a sense, certainly a bit of positive thinking working. But I'm seeing the greater propensity / collection of propensities, preponderating (?) in that direction, more the otherwise.

.. Things in general, e.g. cold, warm, main moisture, all things otherwise lending to pattern, pattern evolution between now and through to then, leaning more toward yeh, than no. 

NWS San Diego is mentioning that there is a possibility of rain in Socal the middle and latter portions of next week, but there is still a lot of uncertainty at this point.

There were a few metro stations [irvine, Beverly Hills, Santa Fe Dam] in the low 90's today; probably more tomorrow.  'Santa Ana' winds are not too gusty; no fires so far.

86 / 62

The winds haven't been too strong in my area, either, despite being under a High Wind Warning. It seems that there are at least a few times each season that when a High Wind Warning (HWW) is issued, it doesn't verify, at least at my house, although the winds are probably much stronger just a couple of miles east of here. The strong wind event back in late December definitely was HWW material, but only an advisory was issued.

Wow both of those readings are even higher than my location. I've averaged upper 50's and low/mid 40's for about 6 weeks now. Ridiculous.

Depends on your exact location.  If you are in a hollow of sorts, minimums will be cooler.  In the canyon below my house there are frost-burnt banana plants from the temps around New Year Day.  All I could muster was 40.  Temps around Lake Tahoe [6000'] were likely colder than the higher elevations today.

Depends on your exact location.  If you are in a hollow of sorts, minimums will be cooler.  In the canyon below my house there are frost-burnt banana plants from the temps around New Year Day.  All I could muster was 40.  Temps around Lake Tahoe [6000'] were likely colder than the higher elevations today.

Yes exactly, I'm on the side and close to a top of a 'hill'. The canyon below me (deep creek) can be 20-30 degrees colder as long as wind doesn't mix out the cold at that gets stuck in the canyon. Pretty amazing to see when I go hiking from my house!

At New Years I managed a low of 12 and my record low high temp of 20, which was previously 23.

yeah down here at the lake it was in the mid 50's and Sierra At Tahoe's website was showing 68F!

Some ridiculously warm temps in a pattern of consistently strong ridging.  The end result could mean ending a winter month w/o rain, at least in SoCal.  Really need a March 'miracle'.

80's as far north as Bay Area [spring Valley: 82].  Not many 90's down here but very close.  Minimums were cooler this morning, helped by lower winds.

88 / 62

Some ridiculously warm temps in a pattern of consistently strong ridging.  The end result could mean ending a winter month w/o rain, at least in SoCal.  Really need a March 'miracle'.

80's as far north as Bay Area [spring Valley: 82].  Not many 90's down here but very close.  Minimums were cooler this morning, helped by lower winds.

88 / 62

Interesting, this morning was my warmest morning of the year at 48!  Hit 60 by 9am but topped out at 63.  Down to 49 now, which is still warmer than the average high temperature....

88 / 62

This February is reminding me very much of January 2014, in which most of the month was warm with no measurable rainfall. This 'winter' weather is getting ridiculous! It is as if our climate changed in 2012 and hasn't returned back to normal.

It is not that I don't like this type of weather. I just don't like having this weather in the middle of the rainy season when we should be getting storms, as it is worsening the drought situation by the hour. If this were October, this weather would be just fine.

This February is reminding me very much of January 2014, in which most of the month was warm with no measurable rainfall. This 'winter' weather is getting ridiculous! It is as if our climate changed in 2012 and hasn't returned back to normal.

It is not that I don't like this type of weather. I just don't like having this weather in the middle of the rainy season when we should be getting storms, as it is worsening the drought situation by the hour. If this were October, this weather would be just fine.

I was watching ESPN showing the frigid conditions for the NBA All Star weekend in New York.  Subfreezing temps keep people indoors.  Discussion about why this event is even held at a northern latitude instead of LA where all the winter entertainment award shows are held. 

Sunny 85F

-

An ever so slowly evolving (changing.) pattern. Set with an increasing sun-angle.

.. With a still poorer focusing of more primary cold north.  It's getting tougher and tougher to spin this collection of elements. The best that can be hoped for, I'm thinking, is a Later and Wetter Spring, with more and quicker main moisture generation south, and with cold remaining cold (dense.) enough to off-set it and steer it toward us.

• Like 1
---

-

An ever so slowly evolving (changing.) pattern. Set with an increasing sun-angle.

.. With a still poorer focusing of more primary cold north.  It's getting tougher and tougher to spin this collection of elements. The best that can be hoped for, I'm thinking, is a Later and Wetter Spring, with more and quicker main moisture generation south, and with cold remaining cold (dense.) enough to off-set it and steer it toward us.

I am mindful that a warm/ dry winter doesn't necessarily mean the same weather in Spring especially March.  In-fact, there have been years where March was the coldest month of the year particularly if it is also wet. 

Stratus is developing offshore so tomorrow should be cooler.

81 / 61 

-
If a "long shot" (more literally even.) more, …

With discounting the modelsor more specifically, what they appear to be suggesting, …

my not having checked them in fact, but only more what other different main resources have generated main forecast wise for the next few to several days most likely having stemmed from their output, ….

.. I'm seeing some amount of potential where looking at the idea of ​more dense cold out over the far Western Pacific at this point, having moved SW more to there from Central eastern Asia, perhaps making it far enough West to [perhaps] do us some amount of good. Best case, basically.

http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/globalir.html

This, with main and broader cold air's current, per my view, both generally more stepped up - and growing more so daily, movement and pace more longitudinally east, looked at along together with also, currently more increased, and increasing, more over-all force of movement at this point; each (or both) through to the 19th. 

---

Another upper low looks to develop late in the week off Baja.  Who knows, maybe some moisture.  I could "smell" the stratus overnight though the fog didn't reach inland more than a few miles; higher dewpoints and haze today. 

L: 57

48º here last night.

It was the first sub-50º low in February, and only the second sub-50º low in the last 30 days.

The average low for January/February is 45º.  The last time it got down to 45º was on January 4th.

You must live above the marine layer?  It would have been cooler here but clouds moved in well before midnight and kept the temp in the upper 50's all night.  I have not recorded a minimum below 54 all month and last month had only 5 nights below 50F.  This winter is a joke!

Nws SD suggesting upwards of .50" here in the mountains - it'll be nice for a change at least! Hopefully long range holds onto the idea of a real pattern change, I'd hate to see the rug pulled out from under us like it's bee doing the last 6 weeks....I mean 3 years....

• Like 1

Looks like a bunch of upper level lows merge over California and create a "non-storm" per NWS_LA.  Any rainfall is appreciated and the cool temps will be nice.  Longer-term still seems iffy for rainfall. 

Interesting temperature contrast in the Sacramento Valley.  There's been a fair amount of fog across California lately.  Stratus each morning. 

NORTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
REDDING        SUNNY     71  30  21 N16       29.88F                 
RED BLUFF      SUNNY     72  26  18 N16G26    29.88F                 
OROVILLE       CLOUDY    52  49  89 S6        29.93F FOG             
$$
CAZ016>018-212200-
SOUTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
AUBURN         CLOUDY    52  48  87 W5        29.91F                 
BEALE AFB      CLOUDY    50 N/A N/A S8        29.91F FOG             
LINCOLN        CLOUDY    41  41 100 S5        29.92F                 
MARYSVILLE     CLOUDY    52  49  89 S6        29.93F FOG             
SAC INTL ARPT  MOSUNNY   57  48  72 E6        29.91F                 
MATHER AIRPORT CLOUDY    50  50 100 SE6       29.93F FOG             
DOWNTOWN SAC   N/A       52  MM  MM MISG
SAC EXEC ARPT  CLOUDY    57  50  77 SE7       29.93F                 
VACAVILLE      SUNNY     64  45  49 NE5       29.92F                 
TRAVIS AFB     SUNNY     62  49  62 CALM      29.90F   

Managed to record 0.22 so far from light showers mainly later this afternoon.  Also the coldest day in a long time.  Hope we get some more rain overnight.

60/ 52

Month: 0.24

Year [jul-jun]: 7.31  

• Like 1

It has been raining here in Orange for much of this evening and is the first wetting rain here in nearly a month. Hopefully this is the beginning of a pattern shift that brings more frequent storms into the area that lasts well into the spring. We are really due for some good rains for a change!