2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

2006 had a major July heat wave. It peaked on the 22nd. That day the lady in our church who constantly fans herself (when almost everyone else is comfortable) attended the outdoor wedding for her daughter. Fortunately the monsoonal moisture from an inland thunderstorm made it cloudy, but the reception was brutal with a broken AC.

• Storm 1

2 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

2006 had a major July heat wave. It peaked on the 22nd. That day the lady in our church who constantly fans herself (when almost everyone else is comfortable) attended the outdoor wedding for her daughter. Fortunately the monsoonal moisture from an inland thunderstorm made it cloudy, but the reception was brutal with a broken AC.

I remember that day. Our power went out for most of the afternoon just as thunderstorms rolled in. June and July 2006 both had abnormally very warm SSTs off Southern California's coastline.

• Excited 2

If I go through all my rainy seasons since 2009 and convert them from July-June to the October-September format, here is what they become:

2009-2010: 12.26"

2010-2011: 16.59"

2011-2012: 7.47"

2012-2013: 6.56"

2013-2014: 8.53"

2014-2015: 10.86"

2015-2016: 6.33"

2016-2017: 15.51"

2017-2018: 4.14"

2018-2019: 15.76"

2019-2020: 15.76"

2020-2021: 5.76"

2021-2022: 7.69"*

Average: 10.46" (not counting 2021-2022)

Pretty remarkable that my season totals for 2018-19 and 2019-20 become exactly the same. Also 2015-16 loses almost two inches of rain from the July 2015 thunderstorms.

• Rain 1

Definitely cloudier this morning. Noticed a drop in the overnight low — my windows were open all night and by 6am my room was uncomfortably chilly. That shouldn’t last though.

Coming week should be fairly standard for late July, with a wobbling 4CH giving us varying amounts of influence once the two day trough passes over this weekend. Today should be like yesterday; we’ll get the debris clouds of dying storms, but the action will be centered well to the south and east.

Overcast seems to have deepened to moderate with a return of a weak eddy. Beaches should clear a lot better than earlier in the month as the deeper marine layer is paradoxically easier to disrupt — and should take the edge off inland heat. Because the ocean has warmed up it feels mild under the clouds.

The monsoon moisture continues to spin just to our east. All in all, a fairly standard late July pattern that’s a welcome relief from 2020/2021.

The weak trough is supposed to be gone by midweek and return us to last week’s programming:

https://marineweather.net/coastal/point-mugu-to-san-mateo-pt-ca-including-santa-catalina-and-anacapa-islands-coastal-forecast

36 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Overcast seems to have deepened to moderate with a return of a weak eddy. Beaches should clear a lot better than earlier in the month as the deeper marine layer is paradoxically easier to disrupt — and should take the edge off inland heat. Because the ocean has warmed up it feels mild under the clouds.

The monsoon moisture continues to spin just to our east. All in all, a fairly standard late July pattern that’s a welcome relief from 2020/2021.

The weak trough is supposed to be gone by midweek and return us to last week’s programming:

https://marineweather.net/coastal/point-mugu-to-san-mateo-pt-ca-including-santa-catalina-and-anacapa-islands-coastal-forecast

Do they have that discussion there?