2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

If these La Nina conditions persist- Would in make sense to invest now in an aqueduct. Water for the West costs a lot of money and folks with an excess of water will sell it at the right price. Nasdaq quote for water (California delivery) is currently $1000 + per acre foot. That price will drop radically if and when water begins to flow. Canada may be willing to sell Frazier river flood water for that price. Looks as if the Frazier will remain with a water excess. The federal aqueduct pathway is straight down I- 5 to the Klamath? and top of the Sacramento.

There’s a real nip in the night air again. Already down to 62 in some places.

I was back in the OC today for another marketplace pickup (Brea to be exact) and the middle level clouds were quite noticeable even there. Far removed from the coastal strip it was mid-80s, still with a nice breeze.

Wound up lingering pretty much all day within 2 miles of the coast.

• Sick 2

It’s mostly coming down to which direction the beaches face. South or SSW facing ones are doing generally better than west facing ones. 

The natural AC has been quite reliable so far. I’ve yet to notch a high above 78 this month, and there have been very few still, sticky nights. The ocean temp is running near historical averages after recovering from well below normal. This is despite (even because of?) inland temps being on the high side of average.

Gone are the days of last decade of occasional 70+ dews and frequent 80s for highs down to the coast.

2 hours ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

It’s mostly coming down to which direction the beaches face. South or SSW facing ones are doing generally better than west facing ones. 

The natural AC has been quite reliable so far. I’ve yet to notch a high above 78 this month, and there have been very few still, sticky nights. The ocean temp is running near historical averages after recovering from well below normal. This is despite (even because of?) inland temps being on the high side of average.

Gone are the days of last decade of occasional 70+ dews and frequent 80s for highs down to the coast.

We have entered a new decade of the PDO.

• Downvote 1

The Pacific is not giving up the fight too easily. Up north the PNW is having a major heatwave while we remain more or less seasonal. The weekend is supposed to bring another chance for isolated convection but they don’t think much will change near the coast.

All in all like last year we’re enjoying a pretty active monsoon, but it’s competing with consistently strong marine inversions and plenty of onshore flow.

3 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

There's a #&@*ing mosquito in my house. I closed my eyes, held down the Shift key and randomly hit the number keys to type in that adjective describing the pest.

Low clouds are burning off.

You'd hate it here inland. Mosquitoes love the heat here, especially the warm evenings. I have five mosquito bites right now, all recent. They itch, a lot. Another reason for me to strongly dislike this time of year.

• scream 1