2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

98F here in Murrieta today, which is actually a little less hot and I thought it would be. But I spent part of today down in San Diego and the marine layer stuck around until about noon, and even after that, it stayed close by. Back home now this evening and the monsoon clouds are just east of here, mainly over the San Jacinto Mountains and Palomar Mountain.

10 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

The Central and South Coasts would be so much better if our climates was more like the Gulf Coast of Florida and have the bathwater temps during the Summer.

image.thumb.png.38dc148b63c39ffb59770255c6a31a17.png

image.thumb.png.bce64246977822bcd8824bc8ca44409e.png

Humidity would be a pain. Sea surface temperatures in the low to mid 70s usually get rid of the marine layer chill.

74 or so felt amazing to dip my feet into in 2014/2015 and was enough to banish the marine layer for the most part. I vividly remember working at the Roundhouse Aquarium in Manhattan Beach back circa September 2015 and getting flashbacks to being in Hawaii when a wave broke over my foot one day. It was surreal. Some days the ocean off the pier got as warm as 78!!!

Plus when it’s that warm, the chance for some coastal thunder greatly increases as the ocean can’t support an inversion very well.

And yes, some spots like Scripps Pier saw the low 80s, which is INSANE for California and I’m pretty sure broke an all time record.

A dying cell near Catalina appears to have mixed out the marine layer locally. The sun is still out but it’s very breezy with the strong onshore flow and hefty 10C inversion. Without the passing instability, we’d still be fogged in.

Its tacked on around 5F for immediate coastal highs in the outflow affected area. After a brief peak near 80 (!) on dunes or bluffs, it’s back down to the low 70s within a mile of the water.

Hold on, I’ll explain why a warm low hits different for me.

71 for a low is not an issue if the high doesn’t climb enough and stay there for hours to stress the body during the day. 

The immediate coast, where I live, is a different animal than even another mile inland. Not only do I live on the coast, I live at a very exposed one: dead center in the Santa Monica Bay, facing right into the open ocean.

And our highs have little correlation, or even a negative one, with inland temperatures. Our high, even under heatwave conditions, is usually fleeting and reached in late morning before the ocean air comes howling in like banshees, while you bake near it for hours on end. Even on the hottest days, it’s very rare for it to be still and airless all day and all night. And it’s even rarer (almost unheard of) for that to last more than a few days. So a warm night is a rare, balmy treat as our bodies have not been heated up much before.

I can count on one hand the number of times I felt genuinely heat stressed at my house. Even in…2015. I’m pretty sure I’m the only one here who lives less than a mile from the ocean. 

Visiting the beach occasionally is different from living at it day in and day out. There’s a real monotony here, just opposite to what you get inland. 

If I come off as a rambler and complainer, that’s not my intention. I wanted to explain in the clearest terms why I’d have a different perspective simply by what my body is used to.

• Sun 1

They’re predicting more of this tomorrow so fingers crossed. Better chance of activity west of the mountains too as the inversion may not be as strong. TPW may be as high as 1.6”, enough to fire off a cell on the beach.

From 2015 through 2019, a passing storm has closed LA beaches on or around this day. We came close this year!

Inland valleys didn’t get quite as hot as expected thanks to the mid level cloud cover. But we’re talking 99 vs 106 in Woodland Hills.

With the big hole blown in the marine layer this morning, I could see more beaches exceeding the low 70s today vs. yesterday.

Ive got some bad news though — this week will be fairly warm in most places, but as we get into the weekend, confidence is building for a fairly strong return of the trough for at least 3 days, which is long enough for SSTs to drop significantly and undo our progress. 

Reg, however, will enjoy some relief from the heat with that!