Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Wet Winter/ Dry Summer in the West

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

happ

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4322 posts
  • LocationRancho San Rafael [ele: 910'] °

Courtesy: John Abatzoglou

Attached Files

wx_statman

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3790 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Courtesy: John Abatzoglou

Familiar name. I attended a presentation he gave @ PSU last fall about wildfires and climate change in the PNW.

happ

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4322 posts

Familiar name. I attended a presentation he gave @ PSU last fall about wildfires and climate change in the PNW.

I follow Dr. Abatzoglou [Idaho State] on twitter

wx_statman

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3790 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I'm sure that was filled with a ton of hard, non-sensationalistic science.

Not sure what you mean?

luminen

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

luminen

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC

Not sure what you mean?

Sarcasm yo.

wx_statman

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:31 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3790 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Sarcasm yo.

I want him to answer.

Jesse

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18349 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

Not sure what you mean?

I've noticed lectures of this sort sometimes will play up disaster type scenarios. My apologies if this one didn't fit that description.

wx_statman

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3790 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I've noticed lectures of this sort sometimes will play up disaster type scenarios. My apologies if this one didn't fit that description.

Maybe public lectures with a political flavor? I can definitely see that. This was a lecture for PSU students though, specifically for those in Geography or the School of the Environment. It wouldn't serve the presenter nor the audience to be sensationalistic. People who study this stuff would see right through that. He basically went over some of his research and the conclusions he's drawn. The takeaway was that it's currently not possible to predict fire activity in a changing climate, and that carte blanche predictions of hotter weather = more fire are not grounded in evidence. It's just conjecture.

Basically the opposite of what you might think at first glance. 

• Black Hole, Phil, Jesse and 1 other like this

Jesse

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 18349 posts

Maybe public lectures with a political flavor? I can definitely see that. This was a lecture for PSU students though, specifically for those in Geography or the School of the Environment. It wouldn't serve the presenter nor the audience to be sensationalistic. People who study this stuff would see right through that. He basically went over some of his research and the conclusions he's drawn. The takeaway was that it's currently not possible to predict fire activity in a changing climate, and that carte blanche predictions of hotter weather = more fire are not grounded in evidence. It's just conjecture.

I'm actually really glad to hear that. Sorry, I tend I be a little jaded about that stuff at times. So much of climate science has become ridiculously politicized.
  • Black Hole, Phil and wx_statman like this

happ

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4322 posts

Jesse tends toward impulsivity before reading the literature. That happened in a California study by the American Meteorological Society that he ripped into a few years ago.

wx_statman

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3790 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I'm actually really glad to hear that. Sorry, I tend I be a little jaded about that stuff at times. So much of climate science has become ridiculously politicized.

I get that. But the end result was that you basically insulted PSU, its students, Dr. Abatzoglou, the University of Idaho, and the PSU faculty who invited him to do the talk - all in one sentence.  :lol:

Jesse

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 18349 posts

Jesse tends toward impulsivity before reading the literature. That happened in a California study by the American Meteorological Society that he ripped into a few years ago.

There was no literature to even read. Settle down.

Jesse

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 18349 posts

I get that. But the end result was that you basically insulted PSU, its students, Dr. Abatzoglou, the University of Idaho, and the PSU faculty who invited him to do the talk - all in one sentence. :lol:

I like to be efficient. B)

Phil

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15419 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

I'm glad to hear this. I've certainly seen my fair share of alarmist hyperbole in presentation settings, both in the public and academic realms.
  • luminen likes this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Cold season 2017/18:
Snowfall: 0"
Largest snowfall: 0"
Number of winter events: 0
Coldest High 67*F
Coldest low: 44*F
Highest sustained wind: 17mph
Highest wind gust: 26mph